velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorBeeZy
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009 edited

well i dented my frame....top tube from a mishap (both sides...) and i wanted to have the tube replaced since its a lugged frame. i know some people would prob leave it alone or toss it but the frame is uncommon and means alot to me so i was trying to find a reputable builder or shop that could tackle the job and do a good one...

any suggestions?

in sf bay or close?

i wouldnt mind shipping my frame depending on if the place isnt shady....
    • CommentAuthorGone
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009

I don't want to burst your bubble but it's very hard to replace a top tube on a lugged frame. I was in the same situation last year, I brought an old Cinelli frame to Giuseppe Marinoni in Montreal and the best he could do was fill in the dent with brass and re-spay the frame. The problem replacing a top tube is the upper head tube lug or any lug especially if it's an known Italian or Japanese frame, it's very difficult unless you have the resources to find an original lug from the builder who built your frame unless you don't mind an artisan or jobber lug but it's a lot of work and very expensive to replace a tube.
    Must he replace the lugs? I'm not super familiar with frame repair, but I feel like I've seen reused lugs in the past...
    Have you tried going to Montano Velo in Oakland?

Although they may not be able to make the repair themselves, I think they would be your best bet in finding a place locally to do it. They're on Piedmont if you're familiar with the area.

If you've never been there, they are anything but "shady".
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

why would the head tube lug need to be replaced?
    Posted By: LuvCumsInSpurtsHave you tried going to Montano Velo in Oakland?

Although they may not be able to make the repair themselves, I think they would be your best bet in finding a place locally to do it. They're on Piedmont if you're familiar with the area.

If you've never been there, they are anything but "shady".

The best shop in the universe. I'm sure they could give you a good referal.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Bernie Mikkelsen is THE frame repairer in the bay area.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009 edited

The Bay Area is lousy with framebuilders/repairers: Bernie Mikkelsen in Alameda and Ed Litton in Richmond are probably the most highly regarded. Another possibility you might try is to call Tim Sanner in Palo Alto; if he builds (and he wants to; he's been advertising on Craigslist like the sherriff's at his door), why wouldn't he also repair?
    I don't think there's any need to replace a lug anywhere in this description.
    • CommentAuthorGone
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI don't think there's any need to replace a lug anywhere in this description.

Give it a shot and you'll see what I mean. Marinoni is one of the oldest and reputable frame builder in North America and he can't salvaged a lug unless it's an investment cast lug.
    OK, but why?
    • CommentAuthorGone
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

It will take too long to explain and another debate will began.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

so, you dont know?
    • CommentAuthorGone
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited

Like I said before if the lug is cast it can be removed from the tube, if the lug is formed sheet metal it can't be removed because it will distort or split once you apply heat on it trying to remove it with a pair of pliers from the tube, if it's the case the dent on the top or on any big tubes of the frame will be filled in with brass and filed off. Get it! If a dent is on a chain stay or a seat stay it can be removed and replaced easily. Usually brand name lugged frame like Colnago, De Rosa and so on depending of the era used investment cast lug, earlier frame from the 70's and early 80's used formed sheet metal lugs.
    • CommentAuthorBeeZy
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009

Tim is close by and will fill the dent for pretty reasonable rates,mikk is drive up now( I moved south to San jose) gave him a call for something else will prob call again.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited

So if the lug splits you TIG it up and grind it flush and then hammer form the sockets back to being round. It's steel, you can do practically anything with it.

I think this guy could do it Bilenky but he's in Philly.

The quick and dirty way would be to just use those weld-on pins for a dent-puller and carefully pull the dents out , then grind them off.
    I know this is old but just in case you didn't find someone to fix you frame check out kimo tanaka ( not sure if that is how his name is spelled)his bikes go by the name innerlight.he is in davis ca .his prices are very resonable and he does very nice work .

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.