velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorRE90
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008

Planning on building a sexy fixie but I know nothing about painting. I'm really tempted to just go to Home Depot or OSH and buy cans of spray paint but I'd rather ask about doing it the proper way. I'm pretty sure I should sand it (any details about this procedure?) and then paint (what kind? how many coats?)...but that's all I've got..
    Help?
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008

you can spraypaint a paint job REALLY well if you take your time and do it right. google it and you'll find extensive "how to's" on proper procedures for it. alot of it is in the prep and sanding between coats
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

powdercoat it , its much more durable than painting ..
    If you're spray painting it, and you want to do it RIGHT, it'll take a week or so. Lots of sanding, paint, sand, paint, sand, wet sand, etc. Then you'll want to put on light, thin coats over an over again. The main theme is to build up the color slowly and evenly. Then, let the coats cure for a day or so. After this, do the same type of thing with the clearcoat, light coats. A bunch of clearcoats will really clean up the finish and make it look juicy and glossy.
    • CommentAuthorRE90

would i change the process if there's a good number of missing pieces of paint and accumulated rust? and i want to re-paint it white too...dang.

i bought this peugeot px-10 off ebay. here's an example of the amount of rust:
    That's not really going to be a problem, you just need to spend extra time sanding on the rusty parts, because the rust is really nothing more than a thin layer of scuzzy shit. You might even want to look into an anti-rust coating to put under the primer, if you really want to avoid rust. The main thing is to get ALL the paint and ALL the rust off before you primer. Make sure the surface is the bare steel, because any stuff on the frame will screw up the finish. You can even wash the frame to get the oils and stuff from you fingers off the steel, but that's not totally necessary.
    you may want to prime it first then sand if there are some missing paint spots. and if you can build a paint booth. you can google that too.
    ....if you strip down the frame to the metal (AIRCRAFT PAINT REMOVER WORKS WELL) the only sanding you would have to if any will be the primer coat. beside that be sure to take you time. be sure the first coat of paint is dry before applying the next
    • CommentAuthorForrestLBDM
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008 edited

Aircraft paint remover is amazing. Get the spray-on kind and go to town. Make sure you do it outside, with a mask and long sleeves/pants. If you get it on your skin it tends to burn a little. Let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour and then just brush the paint off with a towel or brush or something. You might want to sand it a bit to roughen it up so the primer will stick, but I've found that it's not entirely necessary. Then do as mentioned above, lots of thin coats over the course of a few days. In the end, it'll probably end up costing you the same amount to get it powdercoated.
    • CommentAuthorRE90
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008

Alright I'm getting mixed answers about removing the paint on the bike already. Some say just sand and prime over what I've already got (the paint guy at Home Depot). I masked the decals and everything last night and I'm just waiting for it to stop raining outside so I can start...

I'm going to be extra safe and assume that the paint is lead based, so I guess I should wear a mask while sanding to avoid what is potentially lead dust. Or should I not worry...the bike is pretty old (Peugeot PX-10).
    Aircraft remover is a lot less of a hassle than sanding the entire frame down.
    RE90, that's just not going to work very well, It will make a lumpy paint job.

The key seems to be letting the paint cure for a few days in warm, dry conditions between layers and doing half a dozen or so coats.

Or you can spend $75 and get it powder coated.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008

once again.. painting it will chip. Powdercoat it .
    powdercoat it= less hassle more durability. spray paint it= more work a few bucks saved (if you buy good paint you end up spending approximately $20-$30+ sand paper, a mask, gloves etc.)
    then you spend an hour or two prepping the frame and at least another hour or two painting plus the time it takes for the paint to cure. You can get an alright powdercoat for about $65-$75 I personally charge around $90-$100 depending on color and special requests (details, decals etc.). I charge more because of the extra time I spend prepping and making sure the frame gets handled right. If you check out my bikes you can see some of the jobs I have done recently. I offer custom decals and powdercoats. If you have any specific questions you can send me a message and I will get back to you.

If you can get to the bay area I powdercoat it white for you for $65.
    • CommentAuthorRE90
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008

@joshua: which part won't work well? not taking off all the paint or doing it in sucky weather? both? i started when the weather warmed up so it dried well, and i think i sprayed to close so there are one or two lumps because of that but i'm sure i can sand it down before my next coat. i've got on about three + primer right now.

@aliderkrasse: thanks i'll keep that in mind. i'm just going to go ahead and see how it turns out this way....ultimately i'll end up powedercoating i think. i live in the bay and school isn't that far away.

i'll post pictures soon
    If you don't take the paint off, it will make things lumpy. If you have drips, you're *definitely* spraying layers too heavy. That will make the paint job really brittle.

I wish I was just smart, but I say this because of all the chips in one of my bikes' paint jobs.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.