velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008

I ride with clips/straps on my daily commuter. I thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion about what types of "normal" shoes/sneakers are good for riding with quill pedals and clips/straps.
    Shoes that are comfy, yet narrow, flat, and stiff enough to be good cycling shoes?

Discuss!
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: kirkeI ride with clips/straps on my daily commuter. I thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion about what types of "normal" shoes/sneakers are good for riding with quill pedals and clips/straps.
    Shoes that are comfy, yet narrow, flat, and stiff enough to be good cycling shoes?

Discuss!
    clipless plus vans in your bag
    • CommentAuthorkirke

Ah...but my bag is usually too filled with shit to worry about carrying shoes around!
    I just wear some emerica ridgemont slip-ons, but I hear Adidas sambas are pretty good.
    Vans old school classic skip-ons. However, in the winter...they get soaked and cold. Soooo...I just picked up a pair of these Clarks which are totally waterproof, slip in/out of the cages easy and are really durable. http://clarks.zappos.com/n/p/dp/42711368/c/72.html

Clarks also makes some good slip-on shoes for riding in the winter that are really good! I also have of pair of these for heavy rain and snow, which is really the same shoe as above, but higher up on the ankle. -http://clarks.zappos.com/n/p/dp/29661684/c/72.html
    • CommentAuthorForrestLBDM
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008 edited

What the fudge? Vans are the absolute worst shoes to ride in for more than a block. Sure, they can slip out of cages in a pinch, but the soles might as well be made of paper. Awful power transfer, and good luck getting them to last more than five or six months and not look like a homeless person.

Adidas Sambas are amazing. Slim cut, stiff sole, and really durable. I picked up a pair a couple of months ago and have a hard time imagining life without them.
    Posted By: terrible_one49Vans old school classic skip-ons. However, in the winter...they get soaked and cold. Soooo...I just picked up a pair of these Clarks which are totally waterproof, slip in/out of the cages easy and are really durable. http://clarks.zappos.com/n/p/dp/42711368/c/72.html

Clarks also makes some good slip-on shoes for riding in the winter that are really good! I also have of pair of these for heavy rain and snow, which is really the same shoe as above, but higher up on the ankle. -http://clarks.zappos.com/n/p/dp/29661684/c/72.html
    Yeah, you are right. The slip-on vans do get ripped up from just wear of the cages after a few months.

I would like to try the new Vans Fixed gear shoes. They have a stiffer sole, and are made of tougher material.
    Posted By: terrible_one49Yeah, you are right. The slip-on vans do get ripped up from just wear of the cages after a few months.

I would like to try the new Vans Fixed gear shoes. They have a stiffer sole, and are made of tougher material.
    I've just heard that they have the leather toe and reflective heel. A friend of mine has them and he says that the sole isn't any thicker or stiffer than a Vans Classic. Plus, Sambas are about $15USD cheaper
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008

good shoes from cycling? SIDI dominators come to mind.
    • CommentAuthorp e t e
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008

Posted By: bionnakigood shoes from cycling? SIDI dominators come to mind.

Agreed.

However, when I run clips/straps, Vans Era's with Specialized insoles do the trick for me. Florida doesn't have much of a winter to worry about though.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

get on ebay and start doing searches for variations of "touring vintage cycling shoes nos bike" and see what find. i have two pairs of touring shoes with a soles as stiff as christopher reeves legs. the performance pair were a find at the local thriftery. the nike's were NOS and i got em on ebay for a song and shipping. they are made to be stuff and be worn with clips, and they are comfortable for walking around in

sorry if the pics are big as crap

• CommentAuthorbionnaki

for clips and straps, I'd wear tigers.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008

fixed gear vans
    there great for clips and straqps and i do feel the difference in stiffness compaired to my classics

also try gabe mortorfords half cabs
    he designed them for biking in mind
    best cycling shoes ever:
    http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Nalini-Shoes-Fit-Mens-Logho-White_P9777C1719.cfm
    you can install clips as an optional upgrade but stiffness wise they are as hard as a rock.
    I like the Forté Traverse. Grippy, non-stupid looking, very stiff sole, and they have an SPD option that you get by cutting out a chunk of the sole.
    • CommentAuthorohand
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008

I definitely support Adidas. I wear Samoas though, not Sambas. They're great in the rain, and I'm sure they'd be good in snow. I also have some Adidas running shoes I wear when it's really hot outside. They are bigger than my Samoas and are harder to get into the cages, but it's always nice to get some air on your feet and still have really durable shoes.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.