velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

has anyone tried these bars? I am looking for pursuit bars that have a slight drop and are comfortable on the tops unlike RB-021s. I also like the sleeve for that classic look. The 009s appear to be replicas of LA84's -- would anyone else agree? I have a Cinelli XE stem (26mm) so LA84 themselves are not an option.

how are they?
    • CommentAuthorwhipithard

i have both 009 and 021 009 are not comfortable on the top by any meand and in fact the 021 are much more comfortable. if you are looking for bars to ride like that just get some flat bars or risers why even bother with bullhorns.
    contrary to whipit, I have bars that have a very similar top to the 009 and i find them perfect. I will absolutely be buying the 009's for my new build in the spring because i think they are so much superior to the 19's and 21's.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

whipithard: why do you consider the 021s more comfortable?

I didnt realize that the tops of the 009 are uncomfortable. I like to have multi hand positions -- tops, shoulders, and an extended reach. the 021s seem to have one or two, whereas the 009 seem to have all three. I might be mistaken as I've never seen these bars in person, though.

I'm not so into risers or flat bars due to the single hand position. I prefer bullhorns on this particular bike more so than road drops w/ hoods, since I never ride in the hoods and this bike is brakeless.
    Handlebars are the worst thing to ask for opinions on. I can't think of another component that is looked at more subjectively. I've never ridden the 009's, but I would suggest that you do before you take anyone else's advice too seriously. It's all about what is comfortable to you on your bike. There isn't much that can be done to simulate that on the internet.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

very true, but it doesnt hurt to hear others' reviews, esp with a bar that no one seems to use (perhaps they suck & that's why no one uses them). all food for thought in the absence of having the bars on hand to try out.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

I agree with SD. I've ridden drops, bullhorns and currently risers, and see advantages and disadvantages with all of them. I actually switched from bullhorns to risers on my current setup because I found myself only being comfortable on the tops. What you will like will be a combination of how your body is shaped, how your bike is set up, and your riding style. Myself, I know I could never ride track drops on the tops or super short straight bars like some people do, with their hands right next to the stem. But plenty of people do it, so its true you won't know till you try.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

you're right.
    I think you missed my point, though.

sometimes reviews are good to browse...but they're certainly not definitive. no one is suggesting that.
    Posted By: bionnakivery true, but it doesnt hurt to hear others' reviews, esp with a bar that no one seems to use (perhaps they suck & that's why no one uses them). all food for thought in the absence of having the bars on hand to try out.

Oh, I totally agree. There is a lot of value in the opinions of others. But handlebars are pretty hard to review objectively or in a fashion that will apply to everyone.

It's funny to read totally opposite opinions on the same product. A lot of the time it seems like some people (present company excluded) are reviewing items not from experience, but from their opinion of their popularity.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

eh, perhaps I'm a nut.
    I enjoy reading restaurant reviews...
    I enjoy the Jeffrey Steingarten variety.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doorsHandlebars are the worst thing to ask for opinions on. I can't think of another component that is looked at more subjectively.

Saddles.
    True, but at least there aren't four different ass positions.
    • CommentAuthorbugmcw

hahahahaha best. comment. ever.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009

Posted By: suicide_doorsTrue, but at least there aren't four different ass positions.

Apparently, some people don't move around on long rides. Would that my circulatory system was still that good...
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009 edited

Posted By: eaglerockWould that my circulatory system was still that good...

Eaglerock would that you discontinue use of the subjunctive .
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009

I ordered the bars -- fuck it.
    Heh. The nice thing about Nitto stuff is that the resale is pretty high, especially for near mint stuff.
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009

Posted By: bionnakiwhipithard: why do you consider the 021s more comfortable?

I didnt realize that the tops of the 009 are uncomfortable. I like to have multi hand positions -- tops, shoulders, and an extended reach. the 021s seem to have one or two, whereas the 009 seem to have all three. I might be mistaken as I've never seen these bars in person, though.

I'm not so into risers or flat bars due to the single hand position. I prefer bullhorns on this particular bike more so than road drops w/ hoods, since I never ride in the hoods and this bike is brakeless.

aaajj sorry i meant to mention that what i like about the 021 is that its not flat all across the top. when i did ride on the tops of the bars and not on the horns its on a part thats slightly angled down and for some reason I personally find that much easier on my palms and wrists. same thing with riding on my drops when not in the drops my hands tent to land on the the part thats corners i guess youd call it?

im not saying you wont but if you are ok with flat bars and such than youd like it. if you ride the horns than either set is fine in my op. though i prefer the 021 something about the 009 feels awkward to me.
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009

shit actually buy my 009s for 35 shipped wrapped in black cork tape kthnx

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.