velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorforechris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

Who's down to ride in next critical mass!!?! hit me up:

Meet at Wilshire and Western Metro Station 6:30pm

Ride at 7:30pm sharp

Pre-Halloween ride! You don't have to wear a costume, but if you do it will make the ride so much more F.U.N.

LA Critical Mass rides through the city of Los Angeles, exerting our right under California Law to ride bicycles on the street.

This is a easy-paced ride.

Fixed-gear fast riders are encouraged to cork intersections then ride up to the front of the pack and cork again.

Though LAPD has been mostly tolerant of our rides, we don't want to provoke them. Since this is a night ride, you might want to get a rear red blinking light and a front white blinking light. If they (LAPD) tell us to stop at the red lights, we should stop. Let's be polite and courteous to drivers. Do not argue or engage in conflict.

USC riders meet at Tommy Trojan 6:00pm, Ride to LACM at 6:30pm.

UCLA riders meet at the Bruin Bear 5:30pm, ride to LACM at 6:00pm

Westside/Culver City/Mar Vista/Palms riders meet at Crank Mob park (Media Park, Culver City http://bit.ly/1a7dTA) 6:00pm, ride to LACM at 6:30pm

San Fernando Valley: Meet at Noho Station 6:30pm, ride the Redline down to Vermont and Wilshire. Then ride your bikes to Wilshire and Western.

Eastside, please use the Metro Gold Line, Blue Line and Red Line to get to the Wilshire and Western Metro station.

Find and Follow LACM on Twitter: http://twitter.com/LosAngelesCM

If LACM is too early for you to make it, join everyone later at The People's Ride! http://bit.ly/37sAxS
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

i'm sorry, mass is bankrupt. now i have admittedly never ridden mass in LA but if MPLS mass is any indication, its a pretty worthless demonstration...
    I did a few when I was living there. The last one was like 79% "fixie" testosterone and 21% kind and gentle people who just wanted to ride together and put flowers in people's tail pipes. Made me sick.
    welcome to los angeles
    I left L.A. back in 83. You know what they say; you can never go home... It's true. I hardly recognize it on the web anymore.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009 edited

Posted By: forechrisWho's down to ride in next critical mass!!?! hit me up:

Though LAPD has been mostly tolerant of our rides, we don't want to provoke them. Since this is a night ride, you might want to get a rear red blinking light and a front white blinking light. If they (LAPD) tell us to stop at the red lights, we should stop. Let's be polite and courteous to drivers. Do not argue or engage in conflict.

California Vehicle Code, Division 11, Chapter 4, article 1, Section 21201- Equipment:

21201. (a) No person shall operate a bicycle on a roadway unless it is equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make one braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

(b) No person shall operate on the highway a bicycle equipped with handlebars so raised that the operator must elevate his hands above the level of his shoulders in order to grasp the normal steering grip area.

(c) No person shall operate upon a highway a bicycle that is of a size that prevents the operator from safely stopping the bicycle, supporting it in an upright position with at least one foot on the ground, and restarting it in a safe manner.

(d) A bicycle operated during darkness upon a highway, a sidewalk where bicycle operation is not prohibited by the local jurisdiction, or a bikeway, as defined in Section 890.4 of the Streets and Highways Code, shall be equipped with all of the following:

(1) A lamp emitting a white light that, while the bicycle is in motion, illuminates the highway, sidewalk, or bikeway in front of the bicyclist and is visible from a distance of 300 feet in front and from the sides of the bicycle.

(2) A red reflector on the rear that shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle.

(3) A white or yellow reflector on each pedal, shoe, or ankle visible from the front and rear of the bicycle from a distance of 200 feet.

(4) A white or yellow reflector on each side forward of the center of the bicycle, and a white or red reflector on each side to the rear of the center of the bicycle, except that bicycles that are equipped with reflectorized tires on the front and the rear need not be equipped with these side reflectors.

(e) A lamp or lamp combination, emitting a white light, attached to the operator and visible from a distance of 300 feet in front and from the sides of the bicycle, may be used in lieu of the lamp required by paragraph (1) of subdivision (d).

Amended Ch. 723, Stats. 1979. Effective January 1, 1980.
    Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 232, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.

Using a front light is California state law. It is not subject to the cyclist's discretion. A law enforcement officer who hassles you for operating a bike after dark without a headlight is doing the job the state pays them to do - enforcing the laws on the books.

I suspect that most bikes operated by velospace members would violate California Vehicle Code Sec. 21201(d)(3) and (4). All my bikes violate these sections, as I have neither side reflectors nor pedal reflectors on any of my bikes. I do wear dorky reflective ankle-straps at night, but I'm not always consistent about it. I might argue (in a court; not with a cop) that the law requiring reflectors is silly; I would not argue that the law requiring reflectors is not the law.
    I agree eaglerock,

If you’re compliant while on your bike, the cops shouldn’t hassle you.
    I find that having an up to date copy of the Vehicle the Code pertaining to bikes is of great help to a sometimes mistaken officer of the law, or to anyone else who thinks that they know what the law is for bikes. The trick is to actually get joe-sixpack to read them.

You know what they say, knowledge is power…
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009

ignorantia juris neminem excusat
    Here, here.
    Posted By: gregignorantia juris neminem excusat

Ha! Had to look that one up Greg. Thanks for the Latin lesson...
    His quote "Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur" is better.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsHis quote "Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur" is better.

Yeah, I'm going to have to memorize that one & learn how to say it...
    • CommentAuthorforechris
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

hahaha...what a useless post. last time i will utilize these forums to reach out to other bicycle "enthusiasts"

somebody lookin to ride with fellow bikers...and all i got was talk about bicycle traffic laws, how much LA sucks, or fools giving
    latin lessons. btw - "i've never ridden critical mass in LA"...and "I did a few WHEN i was living there", doesn't seem to merit enough
    cred to bash LA or Critical Mass in my opinion.what a bunch of pompous asses.

Get out and ride...stop judging.
    Probably a good plan. Perhaps next time you should be a part of the forum before posting said uselessness.
    • CommentAuthorforechris

i was unaware of the initiation process....maybe you can enlighten us commonfolk.

thought this the credo.... "velospace has one goal: to connect bike enthusiasts"?

apparently not.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: forechriswhat a bunch of pompous asses.

thats me, what can i say.

i stand by my first statement, mass is the most worthless display i have ever been involved in. infact i'd venture to guess that it is counter productive.
    i can only take so many douche bags riding like entitled idiots and turning the fucking thing into a rolling pub crawl and fashion show.
    while i can only speak for my area, i'm sure many others on here can relate similar experiences in other cities.

normal riders getting on the road everday, being non-provocative towards cars, and talking to people you meet/friends/family/coworkers about cycling and cycling as a valid form of transportation is the best/most productive outreach and representation the cycling community needs. non-cyclist need to know we are normal people, not a bunch of 20yo shit heads
    • CommentAuthorforechris

@ AARON C - i agree with you man, i too am a daily commuter. i sub/ride everyday thru downtown LA....

..and there are ALL kinds of people on these mass rides. to say they are all 20yrs old shit heads is
    quite a terrible assumption to say the least. i am 33 and have been riding for over 10yrs on a fixie, before the craze. All of my friends
    are late 20 to early 30's...and have been riding many years. i enjoy riding with LA critical mass, as i do
    with midnight riddaz, mom riders, wolfpack hustle, crank mob, and more....to advocate bicycle awareness, and NOT allow
    this younger generation of rider to taint our cycling community.

Again, i just wanted to connect with people...and more importantly, here on velospace... since i hadn't attempted reaching out on here
    before. But sadly, i feel this is quite ill tasting....Keep riding.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: Aaron Ci can only take so many douche bags riding like entitled idiots and turning the fucking thing into a rolling pub crawl and fashion show.

This.

I went to the Houston mass for the first time in over a year 2 months back, and it was an embarrassment to ride with. Kids were shouting at and picking unprovoked fights with motorists, riding like total dumb shits in tight packs (e.g. needless wheelie attempts and skids), and not providing any support what-so-ever for folks who had complications along the way. One girl dropped her chain in a really sketchy area on a shitty single speed cruiser, and not a single person stopped to help her (I did, which ended my involvement with the ride... thankfully).
    • CommentAuthorforechris

@sfbee - YOU are the type of person i feel NEEDS to be on these rides. i think we have to be there thru the thick of it,
    to get our message across. like any demonstration...there will always be assholes diflecting from the purpose of the ride.
    i ride for enjoyment when i'm solo, but with a mass of people we are makin our voices heard much stronger, even with a
    few bad apples in the bunch. if we don't..."the terrorists have won!"
    Posted By: forechrisBut sadly, i feel this is quite ill tasting....

Give me a break, guy. You are getting butthurt because some people don't like CM, one person feels that LA has changed in 25 years (it has, I was there then and have been back many times, most recently in June), and that a fellow rider corrected your (or whoever authored the original text) stupid, uninformed suggestion regarding lights mandated by CA law. Boo-hoo, you should feel completely justified about feeling so sorry for yourself. What a bunch of crap.

No one was judgmental or insulted you or your CM. I stated my opinion on the LA-based CM rides I participated in 2-3 years ago which were similar to the cesspools which Aaron and Stephen describe, complete wastes of time and energy filled with riders who were there to show off and masturbate all over any passers by who happened to be in range. You are welcome to organize, attend, and promote CM. More power to you. But we are allowed to express our opinions on CM at the same time.

Finally, regardless of your age, you acted like just like one of the same young, stupid, inexperienced public masturbators of which we speak: You insulted us, you judged our "cred," and insinuated that people who don't like CM are not bike "enthusiasts." How very hypocritical.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.