velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

What do I do if I want to get my fork all chromy and shiny? Can I get a chrome job done at the same place where I get powdercoats done?
    ps lickedwicked is a funny bro
    • CommentAuthorfilthpunx
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009

getting stuff chromed is kinda pricey, polish the shit out of em unless you got some dough.your powdercoater may not have the equipment, but they may be able to recomend somone who will id ask em
    just for a fork what might i be looking at?
    This is probably a dumb thing Im saying, but do they make any spray paint that is chrome, or chrome looking?(not silvery?) I never really bother to look for it, but just a suggestion, cause like filth said, its pricey!!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: beater_peter_fixjust for a fork what might i be looking at?

Probably about enough to make you want to sell your current fork and buy a chrome one.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

Here in California it's at least $100
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

They have spray paint that claims to be chrome but it's super hard to spray. Look up Montana spray cans. I've used it before for murals but nothing else, might be more silver than anything. Chrome dipping your parts would get you the cleanest look.
    • CommentAuthorbugmcw

just strip and polish at home i say....
    Dude, buy an already chromed fork. There are several around, Soma makes one, Spicer makes one. You're looking at $125-$150 retail. There was one for sale in the VS marketplace a while ago for $80, it may still be available.

The reason Filth is suggesting that you polish the fork yourself is that parts need to be flawlessly polished before the chroming process begins. Polishing is very, very time consuming and most shops charge in excess of $50 per hour to do it. Chrome nickel plating in the US is expensive, I'm sure Canada will be as expensive or more. Normal prices for a plating a fork these days are between $100 and $200 depending on the amount of polishing the shop has to do once you're done polishing yourself. If you do polish it yourself, it will take you hours and even if you pay yourself just $10 an hour for your time, you're still looking at a chromed fork which has cost you like twice what you could have purchased one for.

Plating in the West is also expensive because the chemicals used in the chroming process are pretty nasty for the environment. The EPA (in the US...) heavily regulates said chemicals, making them both more expensive at purchase and at disposal. Canada may be even more strict. The only reason you see moderately priced bikes with chrome details these days is that the chroming is done in China or Taiwan, where there are no such restrictions -- they're nothing compared to those here, anyway. Plus there is far less need to polish prior to plating while the frame is still in the factory.
    What type of chrome fork are you looking for, I believe i have a chrome fork in my basement, brand new, never used, chrome as hell, its threaded, and believe me its long enough to fit pretty much any frame, I would sell super duper cheap for ya.
    Posted By: bugmcwjust strip and polish at home i say....

Well, that certainly works, but the steel will corrode eventually. Even clearcoating the polished steel won't stop it completely.

Posted By: cyclecrazyjamesdo they make any spray paint that is chrome, or chrome looking?(not silvery?)

I've never seen one which looks anything like chrome or nickel plating. It's all pretty flat.
    james give me a picture and ill let you know
    Posted By: beater_peter_fixjames give me a picture and ill let you know
    i will describe its chrome obviously, lugged, its got a rake to, I cant remember exactly what bike I bought it for, it does have slots for a rack or fenders, also drilled for a brake. Pic is here. Its nothing special...
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Photobucket
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009 edited

Because of EPA regulations chroming is now through the roof expensive. It would likely cost more than a new chrome fork.

Any "chrome" spray paint is going to look shiny silver if you can shoot it without it running.

There is new "chrome" powder coating that is supposed to look pretty good, but I haven't seen it and I am skeptical. triple chrome plating

"chrome nickel plating"

It's either triple chrome plating ( copper, nickel, chromium) OR it's nickel plating, and nickel plating is less expensive. Nickel is much softer than chrome so it scratches easy and loses it's lustre like polished aluminum does. It can be polished back up. 1980-earlier Mongoose BMX's are nickel plated.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

CyclArt has a good FAQ about chrome plating here. Unless your restoring a classic vintage bike, you're better of just buying a new fork, or sandblasting and powder coating the current fork.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.