velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorBe_aR
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009 edited

Recently lost a friend in a late night bike/ drunk driving accident. As far as I know she was not wearing a helmet and had no lights on her bike. I am not interested in discussing the value of wearing or not wearing a helmet, so go somewhere else to talk about that. I've promised myself and the people I love that wearing a helmet will now be a permanent part of my life.

However, most helmets look stupid, and I will be the first to attest to my own vanity. Is their any room for function and style ? What do you wear and why?
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009

Sorry to hear about your friend. I wear a cheap Bell Alchera - all helmets sold in the US have to meet the same safety requirements. The differences in price come for style, weight, vents, etc.
    Sorry to hear my friend!!!

I wear a Louis Garneau Titan Carbon, I really like the helmet, it looks good fairly lightweight at 295g's, it fits really good(although I havent tried many other helmets out yet), and the best of all I only paid $30 shipped, got it off ebay, I will attach a photo to see.

Photobucket
    sorry about ur friend.
    kudos on ur resolve to protect urself.

i wear this giro, its comfy,
    http://www.giro.com/en-us/products/cycling-helmets/ionos/#/white-silver/

wish i had seen this specialized one before i bought,
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=40386&menuItemId=0&eid=0

either way its kinda hard to not feel self concious when u first start wearing a helmet, but screw it, its like taking medicine. make sure u like ur helmet (and it fits) b/c its the most important investment ull make.
    I've heard that wearing older helmets is dangerous (similar to using old car seats). But my helmet is a 2002-ish Giro Exodus.
    I've been meaning to get a new one as the pads are pretty much gone. As for why, it was the first Exodus which came up for sale on eBay when my old one broke a strap.

Not my image, but mine is this colorway.
    • CommentAuthordas_pyrate

NONE hurrr durrrrr

kidding, of course. i have a pro tec skateboarding helmet porque i'm poor :(
    Posted By: das_pyratei have a pro tec skateboarding helmet porque i'm poor :(
    AT least its a helmet!!!
    Posted By: das_pyratei have a pro tec skateboarding helmet porque i'm poor :(

this is probably the safest helmet you can get. I love my s-works helmet. Looks good, super light, and comfy, can't beat it. I got it for free, brand-new, which is the best part.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I wear a bell ghisallo road helmet and bell variant mtb helmet. I like them both. They dont make me look cool but they are probably less ugly than average. No matter what you are wearing, most people in cars think you are a dork for riding a bike. If you are going to be a dork you might as well be a safe dork.

I used to have an s-works helmet but I broke it in a crash. I got my bell rung but I wasn't injured.
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen

Bern Baker with the lining. Sometimes a 1970's Arthur Fulmer motorcycle helmet.

If my girl catches me riding without a helmet, I have to give her $20. I think I've given her $60 in the past year. I'm not young with a kick ass healing factor anymore.

I need a helmet with air holes in the top. It gets hot.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009 edited

First, for Be_aR: My deepest sympathies to you for the loss of your friend, and to her family. I think all cyclists feel the loss of one of their own; in the pit of our stomachs, we know that it could happen to any of us. But as long as you remember her, she will still remain.

Second, helmet tech: There are several US helmet safety standards. The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute is a do-gooder organization based in Washington, DC that tracks helmet standards, technical developments and relevant laws. They review new helmets each year, and provide commonsense explanations for how to judge the usefulness of a helmet.

Basically, all helmets sold in the US are supposed to meet the CPSC standard (Consumer Product Safety Commission). There should be a label inside the helmet saying it meets the standard; if there's no label, don't buy it.

There is a tougher standard: The Snell B-95 standard. A lot of helmets meet both standards, and should be labelled accordingly.

There are a few general principles for helmets; the big one is that the shiny plastic isn't what keeps your head safe. What keeps your head safe is the foam inside the helmet, which compresses on impact to cushion your skull against impact; the shiny plastic just keeps the foam in place, and looks pretty. Logically, the more foam is inside the helmet, the safer your skull+brain will be. Skateboard helmets like the Pro-Tec are safer than bike helmets, because they have fewer and smaller air vents - so there's more foam up against your head.

The rating system for bike helmets requires the helmet to protect the head for one crash only; once you've crashed in a bike helmet, you're supposed to throw it away - no matter what it looks like, or how much you paid for it. After all, if the foam has been compressed and is now stiffened, in the next crash you'll bounce your brain off the now-hardened foam...bad for you.

What's the continued use of your brain worth to you?

Skateboard helmets, OTOH, are rated for multiple crashes, because...well, think of what happens when you ride a skateboard. Skateboaders fall down a lot.

Skateboard helmets are inexpensive, which is nice; even high-grade models like the Pro-Tec Classic are readily available for under $30. So what's the downside of these helmets? Why would anyone in their right mind pay over $100 for fancy helmets, when a more protective helmet is available for $30?

The big issue is that skateboard helmets are steamy HOT. There's little ventilation on them - good for protection, bad for radiating heat. I have a Pro-Tec Ace Freeestyle SXP, which I still use as a city helmet (and at night, because I have a headlamp that straps to it pretty well). I rode it exclusively for a few years, until I started doing a lot of road riding; I found that I'd get really overheated in that helmet.

Snazzier bike helmets are only good for one crash, but they have a lot more ventilation. I use a Giro Pneumo for road stuff to keep from croaking of heat prostration. Giro has apparently just discontinued the Pneumo, which was their high-end road helmet until about three years ago. That's a shame for me, because the models that replaced it at the high end of Giro's road line (first the Atmos, then the Ionos) don't fit right on my head.

It's absolutely essential that the helmet fit correctly. Go to your LBS and try out a bunch of helmets; you'll find that different models by the same manufacturer don't fit the same. For the most part, all models made by prominent manufacturers such as Bell, Giro, Louis Garceau, Cratoni or Rudy Project will keep you equally safe; the price difference within a manufacturer's range reflect design and weight, not safety. If a $40 Giro helmet fits you better than a $100 helmet, get the $40 helmet.

I strongly recommend reading up at the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute's website to prep you for helmet shopping. They're very straightforward folks, with sensible ideas about how helmets should work.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009

I have a cheapo Bell, I got it on sale for about 20 bucks. It's comfortable and you don't get hot in the summer. It's fit is adjustable, so you wear a hat under when it's cold and it still fits.

i was in a bind and could only afford the $50 Specialized Echelon after an accident (more important to get the bike up and running than having a dope helmet) BUT I fucking love this thing. It's light enough, plenty of airflow and looks nearly identical to the S-Works thats nearly $200 more: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=40384&menuItemId=0&eid=0
    I like my giro stylus.
    It fits well with a cap beneath it.
    Once it starts becoming hot again, I'll throw the little blue pads in so I can go cycling cap-free.

http://www.giro.com/de-us/products/cycling-helmets/stylus/#/black-titanium/
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009 edited

+1 on the Giro Pneumo. Liked 'em so much I bought three and have been working my way through my supply. "Old" is only an issue if you've knocked them around, I think (or hope). So far so good!
    • CommentAuthordmdeford

I've got a Giro 'Encinal' ($60), it's all black and I don't think it looks too stupid... especially with my lucky bandanna on under it.
    • CommentAuthoralexbet813

+1 to protec ace not the most aero but hey if im going somewhere with a lot of traffic i have faith it will take the blow instead of my skull
    • CommentAuthorjdiamond

hey buddy im sorry about your friend
    bernunlimited.com
    bern helmets are the best!
    thats what bike messengers all over the country use and they are stylish and come is practically any color and cool designs
    I've cracked two (!) Trek Sonics in the last year. They replaced them with well-wishes both times. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Plus, the helmet's comfortable and looks OK.

Looks, of course, have a lot to do with your head. Try some on and see what you can determine. Trek's been absolutely fantastic, though. Stellar customer service.

(Helmets, by the way, compress and crack on impact — it's what they're supposed to do. If you crash and you've got scuffs on your helmet, even if you don't see any cracks, ask the manufacturer for a replacement.)
    i love my livestrong giro helmet!
    i wear it anywhere i go whether its to the corner market or metric centurys.
    (p.s) i paid nothing for it, i won it in alley cat race :)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.