velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Do you? The ground seems more smooth as opposed to hot sun heated asphalt.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009

next time it rains, go outside and find out for yourself how smooth the ground is.
    Posted By: the rabbinext time it rains, go outside and find out for yourself how smooth the ground is.
    i have that's why i'm telling it.
    • CommentAuthorbugmcw

• CommentAuthorfilthpunx

i hear the rain also gives you more areodynamicity.
    Posted By: filthpunxi hear the rain also gives you more areodynamicity.
    you heard wrong. next time don't hear. it'd be better for you if you'd just go deaf. least you fill your head with more garbage.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

bugmcw you summed it up better then anyone could.
    But that doesnt mean I wont try
    • CommentAuthorbugmcw

hahaha solid attempt.... suicide smiley is my money shot.
    • CommentAuthoralexbet813

i dont know where you live lw but ive been riding in the rain and im dodging branches, trees, stupid ppl with umbrellas, and Californians trying to drive on the wet roads, maybe if i found a patch not covered in debris it might feel smoother but my bike would be covered in crap.

oh and to thread jack
    im looking for a boot leg way to put on a front fender. ive seen a few bikes on VS that had bits of material zip tied to the down tube to keep your balls dry i cant seem to find them searching.
    if one of these is your bike could you respond with materials you used and its effectiveness
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

I love riding in the rain. One of my favorite times to ride. In the great NorthWet, you either ride when it's raining or you don't ride at all. After you overcome your natural dislike for being wet, it's great. Air is cleaner etc. BUT though the pavement looks smoother, don't bet your bones on it. You'll also find out how well your tires stick to the pavement.. I found that overall, Continentals which are more of a naturatal rubber compound stick better than any other tire. I will tell you though that when it's wet out you are going to hit the ground faster than on dry when your tires are still fighting for traction. Not as fast as ice mind you but plenty fast. And you really have to watch stuff like steel grates, RR tracks, manhole covers and PAINT STRIPES.

Try bouncing on the pavement when it's wet though (use helmet) and see if it is more forgiving when it's wet, don't just take our word for it.. Let me know how well you bounce compared to dry.
    • CommentAuthormmediaman

alexbet, you tried those front fenders that attach to the fork by rubber screw things. some real fancy stuff

http://bicyclewarehouse.com/product/planet-bike-speedez-road-fenders-8906.htm?site=google_base
    • CommentAuthorboy on byke
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009 edited

riding in the rain is the best......it even better when its storming and your all stoned!
    thats when everything is smooth

yea i saw those i just dont really like them i know its practical and all but i already have a back fender i'm just looking for something simple and cheap
    Posted By: alexbet813yea i saw those i just dont really like them i know its practical and all but i already have a back fender i'm just looking for something simple and cheap
    Attatch it to your down tube. Put like a pannel that blocks it. The problem with that is that it only works when you go forward.
    • CommentAuthorbugmcw

you go fast enough for long enough backwards to fling water up on you?

haha alright i was looking on some other websites and it is much simpler than i thought all i need is some zip ties and some old water bottles or campaign signs basically anything plastic idk why i didn't think of that immediately.
    Posted By: bugmcwyou go fast enough for long enough backwards to fling water up on you?
    a comment from a true novice who has not ridden in the rain. no matter how fast you go, once it has rained the ground is soaked and any water that the wheel touches will stick to the tires. carried by treads and flung back to the rider. you haven't ridden much, but i can't and don't blame you. but what i can blame you for is how easily you've jumped onto the bandwaggon and considered me a troll. When in fact the real troll is you who posts garbage that does not contribute to the nature of this thread.
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009

lol idk where you are going with that man cause i i know if im barely going im not flinging water around, so he is asking if anyone goes fast enough backwards that the centripetal force of the tire spinning is high enough to throw the water off the tire... also if i did go fast enough backwards i would assume that the water would hit the fork or the downtube or be sprayed off in front and not hit me.
    not in front but your legs would soak since water flings

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.