velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorkevkev
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009

is there a preferred method?
    Posted By: RuffinitJust saw the chain lube question posed on a different discussion and thought I'd throw in my very best tip for a clean, tenacious chain lube. You all know that the parafin or wax based chain lubes seem to be the best, well this is the way I've been doing it for around 20 years. I've tried numerous "miracle" lubes which in some cases work better where you get alot of rain, but here you go:

If you aren't in a really wet location, though I still used this in Washington (Rain capitol)...
    Get an old one quart sauce pan, go to the grocery store and pick up a box of parafin (4 bars). Over a stove, melt the parafin in the sauce pan (You won't need all 4 bars); use enough to submerge the chain. Cook your chain long enough to bring it to the same temp as the wax. Get a steel clothes hanger and hook one end of the chain to pull it out of the pan, bend the other end so you can hook it over something while the chain cools off. Oh, and just use a terrycloth towel to wipe as you pull it out.
    When the pan with the wax still in it cools down, just hang it on your wall ready for the next time. No clean up.

The beauty to this is that if the chain is heated properly, it will pull the parafin into every crevice, with every time you do this it floats the dirt (doesn't pick hardly anything up) out of the chain and deposits it in the bottom of the pan. IT'S Cheap and you can reuse the wax until it gets too much sediment in the bottom of the pan, then you just heat and toss. It stays on the chain, no drip, no grime, no greasy mess and it IS parafin, not just wax-based (parafin) lube.
    I keep two chains; one that is done and one that is on the bike.
    First time you do this, use a good cleaner and give the chain a good scrubbing to get it as clean as possible.

I've never actually tried this, but it seems like an interesting idea.

[edit] Shit, I posted that too early. Just a minute.

[edit2] Sheldon's ultimate cleaning (and lube, and dis/reassembly) guide

So................. If you don't want to do all that, here's a different Sheldon quote:
    "I used to use a parts cleaning tank and a toothbrush to clean chains, but Zaven Ghazarian, an excellent mechanic I used to work with came up with a better system: drop the chain into a plastic Coke bottle with a couple of ounces of un-diluted citrus degreaser, cap it, and shake thoroughly. Fish the chain out with a spoke, rinse in water, and you are all set! (I am told that Pepsi bottles also work, and are easier to remove the chain from, because they have a wider mouth...but I'm a Coke guy, not a Pepsi guy.)"
    • CommentAuthorNash

• CommentAuthorLyKqiD

I have stared down the cyclone on the checkout counter at the lbs almost every time I walk in. And it seems every time I need to break down my chain and clean it, that is the first thing that I think about. I dont know anyone who has bought one, so I have never been sure if it can beat out elbow grease.
    It's hard to take those little box cleaners seriously. I'm sure it does an OK job, but I can't imagine it clean the chain to the point where no more cleaning is required.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

these methods are all too complicated for little gain.

flip your bike over or put it up in a repair stand.
    take a rag and hold the chain
    spin the cranks and be very careful so you dont lose a finger.
    when the rag gets dirty, shift the rag to a clean section.
    do this for a few minutes until your chain is cleaner / rag isnt so dirty.

get your preferred chain lube (I like T-9)
    drop one drop in each roller on the chain.
    start at the masterlink or some other noticeable point on the chain so you dont over-lube.
    when complete, spin the chains a little to help distribute the lube.
    let sit for awhile.
    take the rag again and wipe off excess lube.

done.
    There's a difference between cleaning a chain and just lubing it. Your method is fine for lubing, but it is necessary to degrease a messed up chain from time to time.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: bionnakithese methods are all too complicated for little gain.

+1

If you regularly maintain your chain, a simple run through a rag and re-lubrication will likely be all that you need. If you're especially anal, you can carefully apply some de-greaser with the chain in place on the bike, but it's generally not necessary.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

Posted By: suicide_doorsThere's a difference between cleaning a chain and just lubing it. Your method is fine for lubing, but it is necessary to degrease a messed up chain from time to time.

depends on what you mean by "a messed up chain"

I used to take my chain off and degrease like recommended in this thread...until I got lazy.
    I have noticed no difference whatsoever in chain lifespan or ride quality.
    read what howard zinn has written on the subject...I think he's correct.

there might be a reason to degrease before installing a new chain (an endless debate)
    but once the chain is installed, there are few reasons to take the chain off and degrease...unless you're particularly anal about cleanliness or if you've regularly neglected the chain. but if you just wipe/re-lube regularly, there's no need to trouble yourself.
    You're probably right, I just like being a good boy. I have also seen enough "regularly neglected" chains to keep me cleaning once or twice a season.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: bionnakiread what howard zinn has written on the subject...I think he's correct.

I think you have your Zinns confused.

(Lennard, not Howard)
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009 edited

bionnaki, your first description of cleaning/lubing a chain starts the same as the kid who amputated his finger. Granted, usually that is the preferred method (I know its mine). But the amputation is still fresh in the mind. Careful is a good choice of wording.
    Step 1: Buy This

Step 2: If you did step one there really isn't a step two :)
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: bionnakiread what howard zinn has written on the subject...I think he's correct.

I think you have yourZinnsconfused.

(Lennard, not Howard)

ha
    sorry I've had a few beers tonight...
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009

Posted By: bionnakisorry I've had a few beers tonight...

Then watch it with the flipping-the-bike-upside-down-and-holding-rags-on-the-chain thing, seriously.

Leave the planet with all the stock equipment you were issued when you got here, excepting failed components like appendixes and tonsils.

Damn, the whole idea of chopped-off digits really skeeves me out.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009 edited

I just watched a special on nat geo and there is a new procedure to replace a severed thumb, basically they cut off your big toe and put it where your thumb used to be. Makes for one weird looking thumb.
    • CommentAuthorbugmcw
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009 edited

^ask megan fox how thats working out for her

edit.... mmmm but ew

ToeThumb
    • CommentAuthorscruggle

Posted By: LyKqiDI just watched a special on nat geo and there is a new procedure to replace a severed thumb, basically they cut off your big toe and put it where your thumb used to be. Makes for one weird looking thumb.

Actually that's a pretty old and standard procedure (relatively speaking).
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: LyKqiDMakes for one weird looking thumb.

Posted By: bugmcwmmmm but ew

So, are we going to make this into severeddigitspace? It's like you guys are getting hacked fingers into every thread, just to keep me from reading them.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.