velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

25.4 vs 31.8: which do you prefer and why?

It seems a vast majority of handlebars for mountain, track, and road bikes are coming in these two flavors now. Personally, my road bike has 31.8 drops while my beater fixie has 25.4 risers. I'm not sure I notice any significant advantages or disadvantages of either.

What's your take?
    Originally 31.8 was introduced with a lot of smaller tubes = less weight marketing (a la the first aluminum frames). Since the clamp bulge is larger, it should allow for thinner tubes and therefore lighter bars. That's pretty much all bullshit. Depending on the bar, there is little to no to negative weight savings by using 31.8.
    Some people say a 31.8 bar is stiffer compared to the same bar at 26.0 or 25.4 and therefore transfers more ground noise. That makes enough sense, but in practice I've never been able to tell the difference. In theory the large clamp diameter (and often width) should allow for a better stem hold or grip or whatever. I've never had a properly tightened 26.0 or 25.4 slip, so that seems pretty unnecessary as well.
    The only place 31.8 really makes an easily discernible (positive) difference is in carbon bars. Carbon bars don't hold up well in small thicknesses. With 31.8 it is relatively easy to build a good, strong carbon bar which isn't going to snap after a few rides.

As far as my personal preference goes, I like the fact that both mountain and road bars are made in 31.8. That kind of interchangeability is welcome. But I think they look silly as hell in almost all instances. My mountain bike was set up with 31.8 and it worked fine, but so did 25.4, and it looked better to boot.

Here is an exception: (and one of my favorite bikes on here)
    25.4 is falling out of favor by far.

Most cheap department bike handlebars (with a few exceptions, and vintage equipment) are made with 25.4 still.

Most modern stems these days only come in 31.8 clamps, you have to dig around for 26.00 mm.

I honestly don't give a rats ass as long as I get the stem angle and the bars where they're supposed to be.
    I think it is easier to find bars you need if it was 25.4 rather than 31.8
    you can find specific risers drops and bullhorns in that size easiest thats just me when I am lurking in bike shops
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009

I don't think the standard of 25.4 or ONE INCH will be going away anytime soon. For one it's the (antiquated) NJS standard. And like you are saying all the low-end stuff is still 25.4. One of the ways costs are kept low is by not updating tooling.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009

31.8 might be taking over road bars, but that is not much in the over all market for handlebars.
    Interesting thoughts. Thanks, all.

One thing that popped into my mind: what if I bought a decent 31.8mm stem for my fixie and an array of shims so I'd be able to use everything from risers to drops in all sizes. I certainly wouldn't be racing/competing on this setup, but more just to have versatility. Am I an idiot for wanting to try this?
    well you can do that but wouldnt it be just easier to get a 25.4 stem?
    No, you're not an idiot.

But don't do it. I really think everyone's eyes and delicate sensibilities will be better served by you sticking with one size. But if you insist, do please post a photo of your giant 31.8 stem holding a teensy weensy 25.4 bar. For comedy!
    Of course. I could just keep what I have now, but I would appreciate the ability to switch between 25.4 risers or drops and 31.8 drops or risers without having to switch stems. Now that I think about it, it wouldn't be too practical considering I prefer different length stems for road and fixed riding.

And haha, yes it would be ugly but if I do it, I certainly will face the music and post pictures.
    Yes, it works. I've not actually seen it (other than on DH MTBs), but shims are made for just such things and do work.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009 edited

essentially, you should have different stems for different bar types if you worry about your bike fit.. i use 120mm for risers, 90mm for bullhorns, 110mm for drops.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.