velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorelguapo
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008

I am having some serious BB woes with my Zeus track frame . I went to replace my BB and they discovered that my BB shell has no threads? Not stripped out, Just threadless? So they couldn't put a new BB in :( Is this normal? I have never heard of a threadless shell on a track bike. I decided to take a look at it myself to see if there really were actually no threads or if they had been painted over or stripped out I needed to see for myself. What I found looks indeed as if there are no threads in the BB shell at all. It's smooth as a babies butt.

The BB in it at the moment is a threadless BB that just slides right into the shell and tightens on to the frame by tightening the lock ring down. The metal on the shell is quite thin and might be too thin to be cutting any threads into.

I have pictures, but I dont know how to put them up here?
    So does anyone here have any useful knowledge about whether this threadless shell is a Zeus design thing? Has anyone else had this experience with a Zeus or know about it? I want to put a regualr BB in it. It's such a nice frame and I hate to think I have to ditch this bike because of this. I don't want to put any money into fixing it up if it's not going to be what I want. I don't want to have to deal with a threadless BB, No matter how tight you get it it still slips and is a pain.

Any suggestions or advice on this would be incredibly welcome! Help me save my Zeus!

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008

Hmm, I don't know about your particular frame, but I would suggest that you are a good candidate for a Mavic 610 BB. There's usually some on ebay fairly cheap
    Blue loctite and torquing it to the proper tightness will help keep it from unravelling. That Mavic BB requires refacing the shell, which might cost more than you want to spend. Looks tough as hell though.
    Erm, mid/spanish press fit? BMX style, those are the only non threaded BBs I know of. That's weird, because all the track frames I know of are threaded for cups.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.