velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

This winter I'm planning on building a bike room in my basement. My goal is to get all eight bikes hung in the room, plus build a work bench with a vise, and have enough space for my work stand.

Any ideas or tips for hanging the bikes or building a work bench? The bench has about 4' x 6' of space to fit into
    • CommentAuthorquidose

How big is the room you plan on using? I'd start by knocking down some walls..
    That's funny, I was just at a local Home Depot-esque hardware store looking at ways to hang/store bikes. I have a small room behind my garage which I plan to turn into a bike/work room. The only problem I have is that three of the walls are cinder block. This will be a good thread.
    tell us the room size first. also shape can come into play to. i would use those frame hangers where it stands on the floor and you can hang 2 bikes on top of each other, i forget who makes them and thats about as good as i can explain them.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

I'm thinking about hanging the bikes vertically, on hooks through the front wheel from the ceiling - cinder blocks wouldn't be a problem if you go that route
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

What do you need to know about building work benches? Me and my old man (been framing houses for 35 years) just built a new bench with a peg board for tools a few months ago. I'll tidy it up and post a picture, its pretty self explanatory once you see the design. My advice: overbuild your bench. Nothing is more annoying than a work bench that gets wiggly after a year.
    Posted By: wes m.What do you need to know about building work benches? Me and my old man (been framing houses for 35 years) just built a new bench with a peg board for tools a few months ago. I'll tidy it up and post a picture, its pretty self explanatory once you see the design. My advice: overbuild your bench. Nothing is more annoying than a work bench that gets wiggly after a year.

Absolutely (me and Wes always agree on stuff). Build it like you wanna pass the thing down to your grandkids. Pegboard is essential as that's where all your tools are going to go.
    I'm assuming you'll want to put a work stand in this room? A nice grippy mat underneath your stand is important. It'll catch the tiny bits that will inevitably fall from the stand area and save you a lot of hassle looking for the screw that rolled off into oblivion.
    Rubbermaid makes this really cool system I used on the back wall of my workroom. It's basically a track you bolt into the wall and you snap different components into the track and configure them however you want. Everything from hooks to bins to shelves to bike holders to whatever. Didn't cost much and gave me kind of cool and easy-to-change way to store bigger things like wheelsets and tires and misc components.
    Are you gonna put a truing stand in there? If so get the nicer Park stand, the "consumer" one is really cheapy compared.
    Hmmmm... that's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll come back to this thread and ramble more.

Oh, if you wanna put up posters and stuff lemme know. I've got a TON of really cool original japanese Keirin posters from the races out there. I'll never in my life have enough wall space to put all that stuff up. You foot the shipping and I'll toss yah a tube full :)
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009

Posted By: iron jaiden I'll never in my life have enough wall space to put all that stuff up.

Not with that morrissey poster hanging up you wont... which is why you should send that poster to me :)
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

My bench is framed like a house (or a skateboard ramp). 2x4 construction with supports every 16" on center with 1/2 plywood top, all screwed together, no nails. The legs are 4x4 posts that are lag screwed in at the top. It's 3' x 6' long with a vise on one corner and a bench grinder on the other. Coolest thing is that it is all reclaimed wood.

I can't stand that whole bike shop pegboard "hey look at all the tools I have" thing. Get a nice toolbox and put it on a roll-away (I still need one). My tool box is on my bench and the drawers are labeled. A place for everything and everything in it's place, and away from prying eyes.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009 edited

I built a home workbench for under $100, and it worked so well I wrote illustrated instructions for it. I've built four of them so far (my own, plus three for friends and family) and they work well. The design is solid (it gets its strength from being screwed to a wall) yet flexible (you can make it any length, height, or depth). For the backboard, am personally not a fan of pegboard because it limits where you can put things, what you can hang, etc. Oh, and you have to buy the fittings, and it all costs. Much prefer using plain wood planks (street-found ones are good) and plain old nails. You get attachment points exactly where you want them, and can make them the perfect size (long or short nails; special bends for weird things) for whatever you're hanging up.

On storing bikes, I use a big horizontal steel pipe about 6' above the ground and 2' from a wall. Loop webbing luggage straps over the top, then under the front hub of each bike. Tighten the strap, and up the bike goes. It's not super-convenient when getting the bikes out or in, but I don't like the idea of hooks under the rims. So far it works well, and I can get four bikes in about 5' of horizontal space. (Bikes are staggered high and low, so the handlebars don't hit.)

Oh, and the Morrissey poster can go pretty much anywhere you want it.
    • CommentAuthormmediaman

how tall of ceilings do you have to work with?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009 edited

Storage for random junk on top and bike junk in the drawers on the bottom. Dont let your space get as cluttered as mine.

The supporting 2x4 has a notch cut out of it to it supports the frame of the bench while still being able to be screwed in from the side. My dad built a nearly identical bench for his harley stuff about a decade ago and its still going strong. Out of the frame to the right is one of those big rolling craftsman tool boxes full of non-bike-specific tools.
    A sturdy broom handle suspended by 2 hooks will hold a bunch of wheels, rims and tires (13 wheels, 4 rims, and 10 extra tires on mine). Wow, I think my spares are breeding...
    I have found it helpful to stagger the line of hooks when your hanging bikes vertically. That way the handle bars never get tangles up and you can store them closer together (the shop I am at doesn't do this, and its a giant pain when the back room gets full). Granted i hang my bikes on the wall vs the ceiling, but it seems like even w/ cinder blocks you could drill some holes and cement some hooks in place.
    Funny story, true story.

I built my bench to work on model planes many years ago. The top is MDF (***** would recommend to a friend) and the structure is 1x4s (*** could use work).

Model airplanes are, by nature, very light. In fact, I was building hand-launched gliders, so entire planes would come in under 3 oz. often.

But then, after we moved, my dad gave me his old drill press. I love that drill press. I proudly put it on my bench and have used it often since.

But at one point, I was working on something — I don't remember what — and it skittered out of my hand toward the back of the bench and it disappeared between the wall and the top of the bench. "Huh," I thought "I thought the bench was right up against the wall... OH SHIT"

The bench had been slowly parallelogramming away from the wall under the weight of the drill press. It was just getting to the point where the weight was getting past the front leg. Once it passed that, it would have all suddenly and catastrophically fallen down: tools, half-done projects, little cups of electronic parts, materials that should have been put away, and, of course, my drill press.

I ran into the other room and grabbed another 1x4 and screwed it with drywall screws on the diagonal on the drill press side, then did it on the other side for good measure.

The moral of the story is, no matter how heavy your stock is, it's the geometry that holds things together. 2x4s are probably better than 1x4s, but you could make it out of 2x2s as long as you're not relying on the pieces' love for each other to hold it together. Use diagonals where you can. The top doesn't change shape because of tension/compression across the surface, but if your bench is like mine and Wes', that's the only solid surface. To leave the front open for stuff-putting purposes, you can run small diagonals from a few inches down the legs and across the bottom of the surface. But corner-to-corner is best if you can.

Another possibility is to screw it directly into the wall (fobbing the compression/tension off onto the wall and the rest of the house structure) , but you've got cinder blocks there, so that's probably not worth the effort.

As for the pegboard, there's nothing like it. You just grab the tool you want. No rummaging. When you need to put it away, you just put out your hand. They're great.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009

For hanging the bikes, I like the hook and pulley system that you can get from Lowes, Home Depot etc. Hooks the handle bars (dbl hooks) on each side of the stem and the rear of the saddle or brake bridge; give it a pull and up it goes, presto...

My heavy bench is completely built of 4x4s; you can put a sheet of 3/4" plywood on if you like (I don't). My clean bench is built from a 8' length of formed formica counter top with the backstop. You can get this at the home improvement stores for under $40. The legs on the clean bench are built from stamped steel made for building workbenches and you can get them from the home improvement stores. They come with punchouts for electrical plugs. I like my pegboard but I mount it on the wall independently (with standoffs) so that the benchwork doesn't make it shake if I get too rambunctious. Mine's a 4x8 sheet. I know there's something missing when I get done working and search it out before I leave the shop. Get a couple of the 2 tube flourescent shop lights that you hang from the ceiling for lighting. Put one directly over the bench and one directly over the bike stand. Lastly if you put a benchgrinder on your bench, hinge it so it can drop down to the side when you aren't using it. You can do the same with the truing stand.
    got a gravity stand at target they were on sale last week dont know if the still are. so you dont have to drill into your walls at all which is perfect for me because i rent from a kinda strict landlord. supposedly can hold up to 100lbs im not sure if i trust that but it holds two of my bikes perfectly seeing as they probly total just above 40. it sits against the wall about 8,5 feet up and has two legs that come out from the wall and sit under the suspended bikes. i love it so far and it looks pretty cool.
    Posted By: sfbee
    Posted By: iron jaidenI'll never in my life have enough wall space to put all that stuff up.

Not with that morrissey poster hanging up you wont... which is why you should send that poster to me :)

Mwaha. I'm gonna wrap myself up in that thing when I die.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009 edited

Posted By: RuffinitMy heavy bench is completely built of 4x4s.

+1. The more solid the better. If you can't stand on your workbench, it's not strong enough.
    Solidity doesn't just come from the size of the stock, though. Read my ponderous post above.

If you build it of 4x4s, that doesn't dramatically change how much the joints can rotate. You can get a lot more strength out of the geometry than you can out of heavier stock.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.