velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009

Hey hopefully some of you guys can answer some simple maintenance questions. I am in the process of taking my whole bike apart and rebuild it to do some cleaning, check some things, and change the crankset and bottom bracket. I wanted to make sure I had all the right things in order, and was hoping I would get quicker, simpler answers here than at sheldon browns page or elsewhere. As of now, I have managed to disassemble everything other than the crankset from the frame because I have limited access to tools, especially bike specific tools. Hope you all can help. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the assistance.

1. To remove a crankset, is a crank puller absolutely necessary or can I do this with two hex keys/wrenches?

2. Do I need a special tool to remove and replace the bottom bracket or do I use the crank puller as well?

3. After cleaning my frame and fork, should I grease/oil these up before putting the bike back together or should the residue oil left if the sockets be enough? What king of oil or grease should I use (that is not bike specific)?

4. If I clean the wheels without removing hubs or spokes, do I need to grease up the lockrings, cog and such?

5. With a brand new chain and chainring, how much and what kind of oil need I use before putting both on the frame?

6. If I would like my handlebars to be lower on the frame, and cannot eliminate spacers because of the length on the top end of the fork, is there anything I can do? (my bowery is very much road geometry and I would like my stock handlebars and stock stem to be in a lower, more aggresive position). I know there was a post about this before but I couldnt make any conclusions about it.

Thanks again!
    • CommentAuthorjstar1000

Some good questions but first we need to know what you have, is it an older bike with square taper bottom bracket is it newer outer bearing bottom bracket etc. How about you post some pictures of it. Some of the newer cranksets have self extracting bolts etc so its really hard to answer your questions without knowing what you have.

When I re do a bike I take everything off the frame that is not part of the frame and put it all in a box and some things with small parts in a zip lock bags to keep track of things I then clean and re-grease each part as I put it back on the frame one at a time and when done the bike is like brand new. I clean, polish and wax the frame first of course. I use park grease but probably any bearing type grease will be better then not re greasing all your bearings and races and the threaded parts of the frame. I use bike chain lube on the chain and derailers, lube liberally after cleaning them and then wiping off all residue as much as possible.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

thanks jstar. I have not been able to post pictures primarily because I have still had a hard time doing so. I was explained how but I got fed up with it and decided I would just try again once I got the bike together again. In either case, its a 2007 giant bowery. I had the stock BB replaced about 3 months ago by a bike mechanic here in mexico and he replaced whatever I had (which he claimed was crap) with a shimano BB. The giant website only says it catridge bb. I am under the impression that I have a square taper BB and had one before, having been shown both my old and my new bb...not sure if both would be compatible with my frame but Mexico is lacking in newer bike parts from what I have seen. I am going to be getting a sram omnium external bearing crankset with the GXP bb included (english threaded I was told). Hope this helps, and thanks again for advice on cleaning.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

1) yes to the crank puller
    2) yes you need a tool, which one depends on the bottom bracket you have
    3) yes, some grease on the steerer, bottom bracket and threads, seatpost, etc is always a good idea. use automotive grease that holds up to high temps, its called disc brake or brake grease or something like that.
    4) i dont quite understand the question and im not sure that you should be greasing your cog and lockring at all. ill leave this one for someone else.
    5) none. new chains are pre-lubed.
    6) if i understood you right... take the spacers from under the stem and put them above the stem, or flip the stem over if its flipped in an upward position.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

thank you wes. as for 4), i think I was confused by my own question. If I am not gonna mess around with the hubs I think I can leave those things alone. If there is no danger to cleaning the rims and hubs then I think I am fine. As for the spacers and stem issue, I didnt know I could flip the stem around. It does have an upward angle so I will do that and put some of the spacers on top as opposed to one the bottom. I believe it is a threadless headset anyway so I think this is fine.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

All good advice. Heed special attention to using a box or some type of container to keep things from disappearing and the zip lock baggies are great. I use cable ties for things like the headset, but baby food jars and empty peanut butter jars are great too as you can see through them. If you use glass jars you can also clean your bearings by putting the parts (headset for instance) in the jar with some cleaning solution and just shake 'em up every couple of days while you're getting everything else ready to go.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: RuffinitAll good advice. Heed special attention to using a box or some type of container to keep things from disappearing and the zip lock baggies are great.

+3 on that. As I acquire parts, I dump them into Ziplock bags and put detailed labels on them: What they are, where/when I got them, who I got them from, what I paid for them, what bike they're intended for. It helps to tamp down on questions like: "Why the hell did I get this?" (to put on Bike X) and "How much money do I have tied up in this bike, really?" (too much).

Posted By: RuffinitIf you use glass jars you can also clean your bearings by putting the parts (headset for instance) in the jar with some cleaning solution and just shake 'em up every couple of days while you're getting everything else ready to go.

You can also do the same thing with plastic food containers with sealed lids. I have several different sizes, to hold everything from fiddly little bits like canti brake hangers to big stuff like full cranksets without too much extra liquid (vinegar for derustification, Simple Green for degreasing).
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009

I use Super Clean by Castrol.. It's biodegradable also, but degreases and cleans far better than any other cleaner I've ever used. Becareful if using around stickers/decals as it'll take the ink off and leave the backing..
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009

Thank you all for your advice! I am getting my new crankset and bb friday so this coming weekend I will get to put everything together again. I will certainly post pictures when I finish this
    • CommentAuthorerami007
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

Hi, I am totally new to bikes. I mean, I dont know anything about bikes. My uncle just gave me an old Centurion Turbo bike, which I know nothing about, and I would like to get some more info about it. It has some italian engravings on the handle bars but i'm not sure what they mean. The bike is pretty decent but it does need some maintenance. Anyway, if you guys know anything about these older Cneturion Turbo models please let me know. I would like to learn more about the cycling world.

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

You have a mid/low end frame from centurion a step above the sport dlx. Worthy of cleaning up or converting. There are some 80's centurion catalog pages floating somewhere around the interweb, they can be found on google with alittle searching.
    • CommentAuthorerami007
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009

Thanks, I got the bike running again with some work but i am actully thinking about converting it. We'll see.
    question 4- you should grease the threads on the cog and lockring to prevent them from getting stuck on the hub...same goes for most other things that are threaded...my friend tells me that as a general rule you should greases/lube anywhere metal touches metal...that's very general, however, and dont take it to heart as there are certain greasing procedures for different parts/combos of parts...

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.