velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorfirebush
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

Hey all,
    My Specialites TA track chainring seems to be out of round! I bought it from Montanovelo out in Oakland CA 6 weeks ago and brought it back to NYC before I installed it and realized what was up. I just sent them an email detailing the problem and hopefully they will give me a new one.

Just curious if anyone else has had any problems with the Specialites TA track chainrings?

thanks.
    When you say out of round, do you mean that the chainring is not the same diameter all around?
    If not, do you mean that the ring is out of true?
    Or do you mean that you think it is out of round because you have more play at one part of your pedal stroke than another?

Is this on your posted bike (Fuji Track)? With the posted cranks (RPM aka FSA)?
    Assuming you come back to this thread eventually:

If the ring is truly not round, you probably don't have any other than what you already did.

If the ring is out of true, you can try to mend it. Not especially easy but it can be done without damage on most chainrings of reasonable quality. Otherwise, again, you did the right thing.

If you have more play in part of your stroke, you should check your entire drivetrain: lockring, cog, BB, cranks, etc. That kind of thing is all too commonly attributed to the wrong part. Most often the real culprit is a loose lockring/cog.

I hope that helps.
    • CommentAuthorfirebush
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009

I checked all the other parts, tried usint a different chanring and that fixed the problem. ... the chain tension was varying at different points throughout the chianrings spin cycle... very annoying considering I paid about 60 bucks for this thing and its basicly worthless.

Montano Velo has NOT gotten back to me. What a sketchy place that is...selling inferior parts and hanging their customers out to dry. Very uncool.
    Haha, you should try and sell it on ebay "BIOPACE TRACK CHAIN RING!!" Some one is bound to be dumb enough to by it.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.