velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Filling those tubes with helium or hydrogen. Somebody get out and try that. How about it?
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

LOL, are you serious? Helium might give you less rolling resistance...
    Just fill with air, and think about something else...
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009 edited

Tell you what: Why don't you try to fill your tires with helium or hydrogen, ride them around for awhile, and then report back with the results? One of the classic markers of an ill-advised or unimplementable idea is that it begins with: "You know what you ought to do is...".

I've kept my own counsel through a lot of silly posts from you, because you're a kid; I've been waiting for you to grow out of it. I've also kept out of the arguments because you're my Bay Area landsmann (the rest of these auslanders may not know what Millbrae-to-Davis means, but I do). But I find your posts to be the very definition of sophomore, which I'm guessing is exactly what you are, Aggie.

You know what you ought to do? Borrow a camera or use your cellphone, and post a photo of your actual bike, or stop jerking us around. It's not funny, and it was never clever. And I call the whole thing a big Rule 1 violation.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Yea, these threads aren't cute or funny... they're just plain retarded. It takes a lot of dedication (and severe lack of a social life) to continuously troll the forums like you have since joining this site. I still question whether or not you're a real person, or some twisted alter-ego of another site member who gets his rocks off by asking the most inane questions possible.

People: Stop responding to him, and he'll eventually go away (hopefully). Re-acting and responding to his attention whoring is only going to fuel the fire.

On a loosely related and off-topic note: These guys did something amazing with a hydrogen balloon, a handheld HD camera, and some packing materials. If only we could do this to lickedwicked.
    • CommentAuthorJameson_C

Nitrogen would work. And it would be less affected due to temperature...
    Posted By: sfbeeOn a loosely related and off-topic note:These guysdidsomething amazingwith a hydrogen balloon, a handheld HD camera, and some packing materials.

That's pretty cool. No threats though.
    Helium has been done on the track. It saves about 5-10 grams per wheel depending on wheel size and tire pressure. The problem is that helium leaks like crazy through the tube rubber, so the tire won't hold its pressure for very long.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Jameson_CNitrogen would work. And it would be less affected due to temperature...

Since 79% of the composition of air is nitrogen, several other components of air are lighter than nitrogen (hydrogen, helium,carbon), oxygen is the only major component that weighs more than nitrogen, and the total weight of air inside a pair of 700x23 tires is around 10 grams total (rough guess; I haven't actually done the math)...I'd say nitrogen is a wash for weight.

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae650.cfm

That is, I'd say that if the original question hadn't been a Merry Prankster masturbatory one to begin with, which it was.

EDIT: If ragnar says helium saves 10-15 grams per tire, I have no reason not to beleive him; he sounds like he has access to calculations I haven't seen and haven't done myself. So, up the weight-per-tire to 40g or something; nitrogen's still a tiny bit lighter than air, at best. Helium is much lighter than both nitrogen and air; and it's much more stable than hydrogen - the only gas that's lighter.

I still stand by my second point above.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: ragnar.jensenThe problem is that helium leaks like crazy through the tube rubber, so the tire won't hold its pressure for very long.

Of course it does. The molecules are smaller than the molecules of the latex.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

eaglerock, (about your first post) I agree with you more then you know.
    Licked, I was never really a fan to begin with. But seriously, you create 2-3 threads per day, a feat only beaten by the most noobish of trollers.
    Maybe take the time in which it takes you to type these questions and devote that to something like going outside, finding friends, actually buying a bike or taking pictures of your imaginary 6 bikes.
    You truely make me want to go on a rant. But I think instead of typing I will take my own advise and go outside and ride.
    show your bikes licked or say you dont have any.
    Posted By: eaglerockAnd I call the whole thing a bigRule 1violation.
    if it is won't the authorities do something about it? you think i'm a jerk but does that really matter? I haven't intended to jerk you but if you think so make somebody do something about it. i don't tell you to read anything i post.

Posted By: sfbeetroll the forums like you have since joining this site. I still question whether or not you're a real person, or some twisted alter-ego of another site member who gets his rocks off by asking the most inane questions possible.
    i don't think it matters who i am or what i ride. i don't think some people were offended but if you are then you are easily offended. continue to complain because i don't think i'm trolling. you're making a threat. legal actions can be persued. the level that that balloon flew up to would make it inhumanly possible to breathe.

Posted By: carbon fiber15show your bikes licked or say you dont have any.
    make me. i don't have to have a bike to like them. your interest in what i ride should not stir any of your emotions.
    • CommentAuthorGone

Argon gas is very stable temperature wise. They use it in F1.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Who's making a threat? What was threatened?
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: eaglerock
    That is, I'd say that if the original question hadn't been a Merry Prankster masturbatory one to begin with, which it was.

Ditto.

Easily offended? Hardly.... You're giving yourself way too much credit. You've set a precedent for yourself with your constant stream of asinine posts. I generally ignore them and move along, but god damn... enough is enough. Honestly, I could care less who you are, or what bikes you ride. I'm just calling it for what it is ...
    Posted By: sfbeeI generally ignore them and move along, but god damn... enough is enough.
    ignoring shouldn't take any effort. if you're putting effort into ignoring, you're doing it wrong. don't like me, don't ever read what i post. I don't ask you to.
    oooo0
    (....) 0oooo
    .\...(.(....)
    ..\..)..)../
    .......(../..........i can hold two pieces of doo-doo in my hand!.............this thread is.....what it is!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Oh lickedwicked, it seemed like you were making progress for a moment and now this...

There are two things you should consider before starting any new threads

1) Just because and idea (probably a useless one) crosses your mind does not mean that you need to start a thread about it. Sometimes its best to ponder or research it on your own.

2) Velospace is a public place. The public has come to a consensus, they want you to stop posting stupid threads. Dont even try with that "dont read my posts" crap. This isnt your blog, no one comes on here to follow your life and no one should have to not look at threads just because you posted them. Telling people to not read the crappy posts you post in a public place is like telling a person to not look at crappy graffiti in their neighborhood or hear the crappy music someone driving by in their car is blaring. People shouldnt have to tip toe around velospace to avoid all the turds you have dumped on it.
    Posted By: wes m.stupid threads.
    that's an opinion that i don't share about what i post. So either ask for the ban on me for what you think is trolling or don't read my posts. I don't really care if i get banned. I'll know I did something wrong and won't come back. It's all you really care. there are legit posts that are on topic so i don't feel like i've trolled.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.