velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorcaluuum
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

Hi im pretty new to velospace and in the process of making a single speed, I am looking for some frames on ebay but not sure what size to get? i am nearly 180cm tall just dont wana spend 200 bucks and get a either bigger and smaller bike i cant return.

cheers
    • CommentAuthorquidose

New to Velospace - welcome. Are you also new to bikes? Frame size is a very personal issue, although there are definitely appropriate correspondences between frame size and approximate rider height. Measure one of your other bikes, and order accordingly with consideration to what you would like to change (if anything). If you don't have a bike, go to a bike shop to get fitted.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Posted By: quidosego to a bike shop to get fitted.

Yep... Really the only way without owning a bike already.
    ......get both!
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

+1 to all above.. First off, your height has nothing to do with your frame size. Measure your inseam. After you have measured your inseam, a general rule of thumb is the following:
    Inseam - 11 inches for a touring bike
    Inseam - 12 inches for a road bike
    Inseam - 13 inches for a mountain bike
    * assuming you are riding these frames for which they are intended*

So let's say for instance that your inseam is 35":
    35 - 12 (roadbike) = 23" or 35 - 12 = 23 x 2.54 = 58cm

Hold on, we aren't finished.. bend your arm at the elbow, touch the elbow to the front of your saddle and extend your fingertips to the handlebars. They should touch. If they don't, you can shorten or lengthen your stem.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.