velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

my buddy got a frame from a friend. it was all painted different colors and looked like shit. i stripped it, painted it, and made it shine. i still have no idea what the frame could be. it is an older bike with horizontal dropouts, the threading is french. but i know one thing that makes it stand out! it has a small HEART SHAPE that is on the bottom tube of the frame.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008

more specific on location...is it a lug window? is it a bb shell cutout? pantograph? decal?
    probably on a benotto
    mines a benotto and i share that little bottom bracket heart with you
    • CommentAuthoralexv
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008

nishiki international?
    on the down tube right by the headtube?

i have a 1970s nishiki international with a heart right there. pretty cute, haha
    hah yea, sounds like the nishiki, it's closer to the head tube.
    My old roommate has an Nishiki Olympic that has the little heart.
    maybe a de rosa but i cannot be sure?
    like this?

nooo..... it's on the bottom of the downtube, not the bottom bracket, like i said more towards the headset/headtube, if anyone wants to send a picture of what they think it is, seems like it would be a nishiki. i can't find my digi, so i can't post a photo. that's not it though...
    • CommentAuthorKraytwin
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008

It's a Schwinn! The heart is upper part of the downtube as a shifter clamp stop. I have one myself and a couple of friends too.
    Mid 80's Traveler or LeTour maybe.
    • CommentAuthorScooper
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008

Schwinns don't have French threading.
    Lots of brands have that clamp on shifter stop, need more info to ID. Probably a Puegot or Moto if it's French threaded.
    Mine has a heart at the bottom in the same spot. 1979 Fuji world tourist. All Japanese.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008

I think the heart has more to do with who made the lugs than the frame.
    put money on a De Rosa, the heart is their brand i.d and has been for a very long time!!
    • CommentAuthorasmorse211
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2009 edited

I have one with two hearts. Both hearts are on the top of the downtube, one a few inches from the headtube, the other a few inches from the bottom bracket. The points of the hearts point to each other. Another notable feature about the frame is the elaborate lugging. the bars of the seat stay seem to be one, wrapped over the top tube in front of the seat clamp. There is a strange bracket on the seat stays. this bracket and the odd size of the fork lead me to believe it was originally set up for campy delta style brakes. I got it as a single speed and I believe that was the original configuration due to the horizontal dropouts and narrow width between dropouts. too small to fit a cassette. I have no clue what this frame is and any help from someone in the know would help. only thought is nishiki american eagle?
    • CommentAuthorcreejoh
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2009

I don't think Nishikis have French threading, do they? Maybe its an Italian frame? Sometimes people get French confused with Italian. My LBS has.
    • CommentAuthorjaygale
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009

I've got 3 old frames with heart shaped lugs, I'm pretty sure there were dozens of manufacturers back in the day that used them...
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009 edited

this is just a clunker of some brand, a bike boom lower mid range bike
    probably a motobecane (french threading)
    it's nice of you to recycle it
    • CommentAuthorasmorse211
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009

I actually researched mine more. I found two photos and two articles altogether. one article by Sheldon Brown, the other by a guy who actually has one all original. As you see before I never claimed anything about threading and still don't know what that's in reference to, but the guy who has the original Nishiki American Eagle posted his serial number being less than 200 off from mine. I did find out that it's Ishiwata Japanese steel. My roommate seems to think that's a good thing. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenkely/3114326789/in/photostream/ this guy converted one into a fixie. Other original components I know of are Dia Compe pull brakes, not deltas, sugino 171 crank, (all sun tour components). Most importantly I looked up the serial number database on bikeforums.net by T-mar and found out mine starting with KS means (K-USA market pre-1985) the second letter represents the last digit of the manufacturing calender year with the exception of (S- pre-1975). They were definitely lower-mid range. The frame really stiff and light, though, and for $20 I'm stoked!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.