velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthoralexss3
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008

Yep I've got one. So my question is, if the cups and bearings are all still in great condition, how can I replace the spindle to a square taper one (i've got cotter cranks right now)? Or do I have to get a whole new bottom bracket? They're far and few between.
    Take the old axle and dig through the parts bin at Yellow bike. Just find one with the same distance between the bearing races.
    • CommentAuthoralexss3
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008

what is this elusive Yellow Bike thing you speak of? Also, the chain side of the spindle is longer, I assume most square tapers are equidistant. Will this matter a lot?
    • CommentAuthoralexss3
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008 edited

OK I've taken a few pictures of the bottom bracket for reference and also took some measurements after reading Sheldon's page on bottom brackets. I came up with 142mm overall length, with 36-58-48 on the axle measurements (left to right). I'm having a hard time finding an axle with 58mm as the inside measurement.

Yellow bike is a bike co-op that has tools and spare parts for donation. Google bike co-op for your area and see if one exists. Are you going to stick with cottered cranks? I'd get a square taper axle so you can use newer(lighter cranks). The new axle will work with the cups you have.Go to http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#axles, scroll down to this section:Old-style Cup-and-Cone Bottom Bracket Parts, one of these two axles should work. I'd go for the first one as it has differet lengths on the left and right, so if you install it and the chainline doesn't work, you cane reverse it and try that way.
    • CommentAuthoralexss3
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008 edited

Thanks I'll google and see what I can find in the area. There's a LBS on about every corner around here, so it shouldn't be hard to find a co-op. I'm going to use the cotter cranks for the time being, simply because I've already dropped a lot of cash into this project in the past two weeks. As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm not too sure if either of those spindles would work because of the (B) middle spacing. Mine measures 58mm and I haven't seen any over 52mm. This means the bearings would be jiggling between the cups and axle, which would not make for a pleasant time. I'll keep my eyes out for a french BB with square taper axle on ebay, but like I said I'll just ride what I have right now. More weight builds character!
    You can adjust the non fixed cup to accomodate the difference. Also, measure it with a real ruler, those sewing tapes can shrink and stretch and it looks a bit wrinkled in the pic. Looking at that axle the bearing races look pretty good, I'd just use it if it isn't bent. I have no idea where you find one of those new, might cost more than an axle and some used cranks.
    • CommentAuthorRE90
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008

quick irrelevant story time?
    i discovered today that i need french bottom brackets on my new (old) peugeot px-10. the guy at store A said they were obsolete and i won't find anything. i go to store b and they said they keep really old parts just in case someone needs 'em (the store is 30+ years old). lucky day..
    yes you will need a complete new BB those cups will not work with a square taper spindle. phil wood is the only maker of french thread BB that I know of . if you get lucky you might find a NOS or used sugino BB or a set of cups so you can piece together a BB.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009

2 months later....
    as all late people say ..better late than never.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2009

Velo-Orange (http://www.velo-orange.com/) is making or will make French-thread (really metric, but whatever) sealed bottom brackets. The last update on their blog was that they had been ordered and would be ready in a couple of months. Don't know how long you can wait, but it's an option!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.