velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorfirebush
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009

Found a set of HED carbon road wheels for what would seem a decent price (if they are in good condition)...rear is a Deep CX 24 spoke rim, front is a Jet J2 18 spoke rim.

Was wondering how feasible it is to unlace the rear, change it to a track hub and get it built up again?
    side note, buying used carbon fiber kind of worries me given I don't know that much about the technology and what to look for in terms of abuse and/or wear... tips and advice appreciated!
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

24h carbon rim on the rear is not the best idea on the street. on the track only, it would be a different story.
    • CommentAuthorfirebush

THis would be for the track only.thanks
    wouldnt the rim taco under that kind of pressure?and 24 hole wouldnt be stiff as somthing like 28 0r 32. and as im sure you know, stiffness is what helps make you go faster and win races.
    • CommentAuthorfirebush

I always thought that the higher spoke count the better, but like I said, dont know about these prebuilt wheels, bladed spokes and such, thought they were expensive cause they were light AND stiff.

though I nixed the idea with the ones i was looking at now anyway, as they were 650c wheels.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

i am admittedly no component expert but consider the cost of relacing, i cant imagine there are many stock 24h track hubs. add an expensive stock hub available in 24h or an expensive + custom drilled hub into the final cost of the wheel: is it still worth it...

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.