velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Word on the street is Reynolds 631 Steel is better than CroMo. Is this true? I was told Cromo is the best type of steel you can get right now.
    They are just treated different and uses different material but I think both is good for the money anyways
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

It is air-hardened CrMo
    ChroMo, a steel alloy with chromium and molybdenum, is pretty common in low-middle end steel frames. 4130 is the ChroMo tubing used most often in frames.
    Reynolds 631 is an alloy with manganese and molybdenum, and is air hardened for additional strength. 631 costs more than 4130 and is "better." But not for everything.

The difference to the cyclist between the two is that 4130 (ChroMo) is not as strong or stiff as 631 and therefore tubes made from it must be thicker. This essentially means that a 4130 frame will be heavier than one made from 631. The real world weight difference is not incredibly significant, even less so when you're not racing.

For city riding you will be better off with 4130. Thinner tubes (no matter how strong they are) are more likely to take damage in a crash than thicker tubes. That said, buy a frame which fits you, you like to ride, and to look at. Don't bother with different blends of steel unless you stand to benefit from the increased cost. The only steel which you should avoid completely is called high tensile (or hi-ten, high-ten, etc). Hi-ten is VERY heavy and not worth the very little you would pay for it.
    Im riding a high tensile frame from the 70s right now. i want to stab my eyes out with a corkscrew.
    Hrm, well, if you're just going to stab with the corkscrew I would suggest the double prong model:
    :\
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

Yeah that True Temper Ox Platinum is some low-end tubing.
    ?
    I'm not suggesting that all steel alloy which contains chromium and molybdenum tubing is 4130, and certainly not that all of it is low end. But if a frame vendor or manufacturer is calling their frame simply "CroMo," they are using 4130. The name CroMo means absolutely nothing relating to tubing quality or strength, it just means that the steel alloy includes those two components (which most do). The only reason companies even use the term in marketing is to distinguish their product from hi-ten (1020). Furthermore, no one trying to sell a frame is going to call OX Platinum or 853 plain old ChroMo. That would be confusing to consumers, not to mention it being a moronic oversimplification.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.