velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

I should preface this by saying I'm not very experienced in the repair-area of biking. So, I thought my bb was creaking, but after doing some research I discovered that most of the time you think your bb is creaking it's something else. So I was trying to tighten the bolts on my chainring, but instead of tightening, the bolts just kinda slid around in their socket. Did I strip them or am I just making a n00b mistake? I do a fair amount of skidding and track standing (this is actually when I hear creaking the most), I don't know if that affects things.
    You're saying that all of your crank bolts did this, or just one? By sliding around, do you mean that when you tightened them they would slip (meaning the threads were not engaging)? If you pulled on one of the affected bolts, would it just come right out?
    Answer all that. Plus tell me what model crank you're using, your shoe size, and what you use to brush your teeth.

If your bolt(s) are stripped you should replace them, whether they are the cause of your creaking or not. If you don't, eventually you're going to have an accident.
    By the by, I have old cotter-pin cranks from the 70's and i get creaking when I push my left pedal with all my weight.

Wat da fuk? Is there a common explainination as to why its doing that?
    Tighten up and but a little grease on your chainring bolts. If that does not fix the problem, you might need to repack your BB.
    • CommentAuthorscruggle
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009

Posted By: MaxThrashSo I was trying to tighten the bolts on my chainring, but instead of tightening, the bolts just kinda slid around in their socket.

Did you have something holding the other side of the bolt (the chainring nut)? If not, it's no wonder they spin; you'll probably score your chainring if you keep it up.

Like http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=26&item=CNW-2
    But there's also chainring bolts that take an allen key on both sides.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

Thank you Scruggle, that appears to be exactly what I need.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

Update: ooooookay, now I'm confused. I got the chainring nut wrench, but it seems like the nuts cant get any tighter against the chainring and the bolts and they're still sliding around easily if I just use an hex key on the bolt. Any more advice? I'm pretty sure the chainring is where the creak is coming from. I'll probably just take the bike down to my LBS, but i'd like to know if I'm just doing something wrong.
    Sounds like your nuts are too long. This is often the case when converting cranks from a double or triple ring setup to a single. You should be able to do a straight up trade at your LBS. Even if you end up paying for them, they're just nuts and bolts.. Cheap.

Nuts. Too long. Ha.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009 edited

Posted By: MaxThrashI got the chainring nut wrench, but it seems like the nuts cant get any tighter against the chainring and the bolts and they're still sliding around easily if I just use an hex key on the bolt. Any more advice?

Since you don't have a bike posted, so we can't see what we're talking about, let me hazard a few guesses:

1) The bike we're talking about is a road bike that's been converted to fixed-gear.

2) The crankset being used on this bike is the road crankset that was on the frame originally.

3) In order to fixiefy the crankset, one of the two chainrings was removed.

4) The remaining chainring was then reinstalled, using the existing chainring bolts.

Are you with me so far? Are my guesses correct?

Chainring bolts are sized, based on how many chainrings they need to attach. Single chainring bolts are shorter than double chainring bolts, because there's one less chainring to fit through. There are even triple chainring bolts, which are used for attaching three chainrings through the same holes on older French cyclotouriste-style cranksets.

My guess is that you're trying to tighten a single chainring with double-chainring bolts, and the threading doesn't go deep enough to get it sufficiently tight. You can get single-ring chainring bolts (your LBS may carry them, especially if you live in a fixie-centric area); you can also get aluminum spacer rings to fit on the double bolts. The spacers are the same width as the chainring that isn't there.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010

hey you guys im sorry to bring this back to life, but it was the first hit and I figured it was not too long of a thread yet.

I decided today that since I was cleaning up my bottom bracket and crankset, I would not only check the tightness of the chainring bolts (as has always been recommended to me when I have had creaking) but also take each bolt out, regrease, and put back in and tighten as best as I could (I was told by a few people to tighten like hell). Well, having the crankset and chainring on its own, my strategy was to loosen, take out, clean, and regrease each one individually. I only made it to the first one. I must have tried to tighten to much because the back end bolt/nut snapped at the threads.

This is the omnium crankset, and I have been using two hex keys (I think 8mm for both) on either side of the chainring to tighten and loosen, which I havent had a hard time with in the past. Online, it seems to confirm that the bolts used for this crankset are single ring alloy bolts. I have never played with any other chainring bolts before, and I just recognize the ones i have as having a bolt on either end of the chainring, such that when I take the bolt out, it comes out as two individual bolts, or one bolt and one nut. I am sure those of you you have the omniums do not need me to try and describe this any more. Do you think the bolts were of crappy quality? (I read here that aluminum bolts should be replaced by steel) Or did I try to tighten too much? Lastly, can I replace the one bolt with a "compatible" one until I get back to the US?

On another note, if these are special bolts that cannot be replaced easily, im fucked until i return to the US in late May, and will have to take the not so green Metrobus everyday. Thank you all
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I dont have omniums but I have seen a few pairs and I never noticed anything special about the bolt you snapped. You probably just got a little too aggressive with your allen keys. I would be very surprised if any old single ring chainring bolt didnt do the trick.
    Just go to your LBS and I'm sure they have a single-ring chainring bolt sitting around you can have. And yes, you should tighten your bolts down pretty well but there is a point that it's too much.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

thanks wes. I will take my crankset and chainring to a benotto shop around here and see if they have any bolts that will fit fine. I just wanted to make sure I could do something like that temporarily
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

and i probably did hit the threshold. I kept thinking: "give it more man, give it more. that thing is a pussy. let it know who's boss"
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

jesus i just noticed how horrible that sounds. please forgive me sub 18ers
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: brooklynbombsJust go to your LBS and I'm sure they have a single-ring chainring bolt sitting around you can have. And yes, you should tighten your bolts down pretty well but there is a point that it's too much.

Pretty much all chainring holes are 8mm across...except older French ones, which are often 7mm (why, I oughta...). Any standard chainring bolt should fit.

On the FSA SLK crankset I had on my recently sold Fuji, the chainring bolts used a Torx wrench, instead of an Allen. Torx is the star-shaped one; the much more common Allen is hexagonal. It shouldn't matter which kind of wrench the chainring nut uses, as long as you have the wrench.
    Posted By: Mancha150hey you guys im sorry to bring this back to life, but it was the first hit and I figured it was not too long of a thread yet.

I decided today that since I was cleaning up my bottom bracket and crankset, I would not only check the tightness of the chainring bolts (as has always been recommended to me when I have had creaking) but also take each bolt out, regrease, and put back in and tighten as best as I could (I was told by a few people to tighten like hell). Well, having the crankset and chainring on its own, my strategy was to loosen, take out, clean, and regrease each one individually. I only made it to the first one. I must have tried to tighten to much because the back end bolt/nut snapped at the threads.

This is the omnium crankset, and I have been using two hex keys (I think 8mm for both) on either side of the chainring to tighten and loosen, which I havent had a hard time with in the past. Online, it seems to confirm that the bolts used for this crankset are single ring alloy bolts. I have never played with any other chainring bolts before, and I just recognize the ones i have as having a bolt on either end of the chainring, such that when I take the bolt out, it comes out as two individual bolts, or one bolt and one nut. I am sure those of you you have the omniums do not need me to try and describe this any more. Do you think the bolts were of crappy quality? (I read here that aluminum bolts should be replaced by steel) Or did I try to tighten too much? Lastly, can I replace the one bolt with a "compatible" one until I get back to the US?

On another note, if these are special bolts that cannot be replaced easily, im fucked until i return to the US in late May, and will have to take the not so green Metrobus everyday. Thank you all

The Omnium chainring bolts are actually what they consider "double" size, and they will only work with Omnium cranks with the Omnium chainring, because of it's thickness.

THE OMNIUM CHAINRING BOLTS ARE COMPLETE SHIT. I've had two of them pop in half while tightening them. They are made out of weak aluminum. I seriously suggest ordering some steel Sugino crank bolts.

The design of the Omnium bolts is nice, with the dual sided allen holes, however...they are super weak bolts.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010

thanks for the advice, I will certainly get some new bolts for both sets of my cranks when I get the chance.

Posted By: terrible_one49The Omnium chainring bolts are actually what they consider "double" size, and they will only work with Omnium cranks with the Omnium chainring, because of it's thickness.

Does this mean I am going to have a hard time finding a temporary replacement?
    • CommentAuthorheadphone
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010

aluminum chainring bolts suck.
    Posted By: Mancha150thanks for the advice, I will certainly get some new bolts for both sets of my cranks when I get the chance.

Posted By: terrible_one49The Omnium chainring bolts are actually what they consider "double" size, and they will only work with Omnium cranks with the Omnium chainring, because of it's thickness.

Does this mean I am going to have a hard time finding a temporary replacement?

If I'm reading this correctly, you will just buy chainring bolts that are for dual chainrings (double).

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.