velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Yes. As long as you're using the Omnium chainring, you need the double size bolts. If you plan on using ANY other chainring on the market, you will need singles, with the Omnium cranks.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010

thank you both! Sunday is Jesus day so im gonna have to wait until tomorrow to head to the bike shop and/or mechanic
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

hey and one last thing sorry: ryan, do you know the exact model of the sugino chainring bolts I should use with my omniums? There seem to be a couple online
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

thanks BK!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: brooklynbombsIf I'm reading this correctly, you will just buy chainring bolts that are for dual chainrings (double).

That's a huge advantage in your case, Mancha; steel bolts for double rings are standard issue for road cranksets, which means that every bike store in the world has them in a drawer. Bolts for single rings are only likely to be stocked by stores that have a regular stream of track/fixed-gear customers. At the most, the extra thing you might need is a chainring nut wrench, like the Park CNW-2 or the Shimano TL-FC20/FC21 (which for some reason, no longer appears on Shimano's website; have they gone to dual-Allen?). Generic/store-brand wrenches are also available.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

thats amazing news eaglerock thank you! At least I know I dont need to go on a witch hunt for the next week. And im assuming that if they have the bolts, they will have a tool to install them. Im hoping I can just have them do it on the spot (i will take my omniums with me) and then worry about the tool and whole new set of bolts in June. Thanks again
    • CommentAuthorheadphone
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010 edited

if your shop doesnt have the park nut wrench, you can just use the tip of a flathead screwdriver on the back of the nuts along with a 5mm allen wrench on the front.

and if you happen to have tight spots, see this page: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#tension
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

thank you headphone. I will keep that in mind for sure. Shout out to the illest noise
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

So finding a replaceable chainring bolt was more difficult than I imagined (I am just convinced that a lot of businesses and the mexican bicycle "industry" (benotto especially) in particular are actually trying to make things more and more difficult for people by forcing you to spend more than you need. I went to three different stores before I finally found someone willing to take a closer look in their stock and sell me a single bolt (paid almost 3 dollars for it). Its (unfortunately) aluminum, and is actually similar to the normal bolts for single speed bikes, since it has the non hex key screw on the back (contrary to what came on the omniums). But it works which is important, and I will replace all my bolts with steel ones in a month or so.

Anyway I write this post for the following reason: Thank you velospace, especially aaron, eaglerock, wes, etc. and everyone else who kept reminded me bolts are normally the cause of creakiness. I took all the existing bolts out to grease and retighten, and the bolts were full of some green shit and dirt, so I spent about 5 mins cleaning each one as best I could. I have no idea where this bright green crap came from, but it appears to have been causing the creaks I have been dealing with since I came to velospace (well since I replaced my cranks). I put the bike back together this morning, and took a stroll 5 mins ago to make sure the bolts and everything was tight enough and there was absolutely no creaking creaker creaks. Even when doing a track stand, which is when this would be most annoying. So let this be a lesson to people like me who know an insufficient amount of information about bikes. Bolts tight, bolts greasy like mcdonalds hamburger, bike smoof.

Like wesley willis said:
    [velospace] is the place to rock
    It is a [website] where they buy [knowledge] to eat
    It is a good place to listen to the [rocking wisdom]
    People flock here to get down to the [sound of the chainring spinning]
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

Posted By: Mancha150[velospace] is the place to rock
    It is a [website] where they buy [knowledge] to eat
    It is a good place to listen to the [rocking wisdom]
    People flock here to get down to the [sound of the chainring spinning]

I call T-shirt!
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm planning to buy the Omnium Crankset and throw on a Sugino Zen chainring. Would single chainbolts suffice or would I still need to use doubles? And if I do need single chainring bolts, would I need knurled or non-knurled? Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8199¤cy=USD

terrible_one49 suggested these to me.

Sugino Chainring Bolts - NON-Knurled
    $14.99

High quality Sugino steel chainring bolts. Sized for a single chainring - perfect for your track / single-speed cranks. 5 bolts and nuts - enough for 1 bike. For cranks that DON'T have a recessed chainring nut area on the back of the spider arm.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.