velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey, so, I'm going to sell my mountain bike. I'm not going to pretend that anyone cares too much about selling a MTB on here, but I thought I would ask:

Is it better to sell a complete bike or to part it out?

I've sold two bikes of some value recently, one complete (the Lemond I have posted), the other semi-complete (a Kona MTB, missing cranks, stem, bars, and some other things). I've sold plenty of parts by themselves as well, the most recent being a Paul's brakeset, a Thomson post, and an Easton bar. The two bikes made sense to sell they way I sold them. The Lemond was fully complete and had nothing on it I wanted to keep. The Kona didn't have much going for it in terms of parts other than an 8 speed XT rear derailleur (which I kicked myself later for not selling separately, as they are somehow still worth good money). My current sell, the Dragon, on the other hand, has a ton of desirable parts on it: Thomson post/stem, Kelly fork, XT wheelset, etc., not to mention the fact that the frame is 853. Some of these parts I will keep for something else in the future, so it would make sense to part the bike out. Right? I mean, selling the bike whole is certainly easier, but would also certainly net me less money in the end. At least, I think that makes sense. Anyone?

Photos for no reason:

i've found that parting it can work out better, monetarily. that said, dealing with multiple buyers, possibly taking longer to sell than complete, AND shipping numerous parts can be a headache.

if you need quick cash or don't need the spare parts or don't have the patience, sell it complete.
    you can always make the complete sound better than it is (from pictures the bike looks good anyways) you can explain any random detail and how awesome it is and stuff and sell the complete hehe thats what I do lol
    I like that saddle you got there ;]
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009

Posted By: jerereremyi've found that parting it can work out better, monetarily. that said, dealing with multiple buyers, possibly taking longer to sell than complete, AND shipping numerous parts can be a headache.

if you need quick cash or don't need the spare parts or don't have the patience, sell it complete.

Exactly. You can probably get more cash if you part it out but you will probably be making less cash per unit of effort. You should also assume that when you part it out you wont sell every single part. There is always some random stem/front wheel/cassette/saddle/etc that was just not worth the effort to keep relisting on craigslist.

p.s. If that bike was priced right, in my size, and close to me I'd probably be riding it home.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009 edited

I think you'd make more parting that particular bike out.
    more cash parting out and more time selling v.s less time selling but less money, you choose
    That's pretty much what I was figuring. I have plenty of time to sell, package, and ship shit.
    As per Craigslist, Wes, I've never gotten enough interest from a CL ad to warrant the effort. It has always seemed to me that eBay is the better way to go anyway, financially speaking. Don't get me wrong, I would love to sell local, but the market is awful. AND, one more thing, pricing stuff is a PITA, I prefer to let the market set the price. I feel like I'm going to catch shit for saying that...
    i don think you will catch shit for saying that. what you said is true and probably the best way to get money quick and with the least amount of hassle.
    • CommentAuthormmediaman
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009

suicide, do you live in an area where there isn't a market for parts on CL?
    I have always had more luck parting out and selling part by part and selling frame seperate, the only thing that I would think that is worth more together is a vintage bike that is all orginal, that is just my opinion...

Ohhh and I love MTB bikes!!!!
    Posted By: mmediamansuicide, do you live in an area where there isn't a market for parts on CL?

Not much of one. I live in a city of about 140,000 plus another 25,000 college students. CL gets some bike traffic, but mostly complete bikes. When I lived in LA I would sell on CL occasionally. Here it just isn't worth it.

Posted By: cyclecrazyjamesthe only thing that I would think that is worth more together is a vintage bike that is all orginal, that is just my opinion...

That is totally true, but this bike isn't old enough to be valued for its age.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsThat is totally true, but this bike isn't old enough to be valued for its age.

right, that is what im doing with my specialized, the frame is worth more than what someone would buy the whole bike for, that is why im selling just the frameset, or trying to, but anyways, you have a nice frame there, gl with your sale!!
    Haha, James, I always forget that you have like five thousand bikes in your profile on here. Cycle crazy. Right.

Thanks, good luck to you... too?
    Haha, cycle crazy is right, crazy thing is,, im only 25!! But have come to realization, I only need what im going to ride, so selling every extra frame, part, whatever I have, and only keeping around a few extra parts and such just in case!!!
    • CommentAuthorjerereremy
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009 edited

Posted By: cyclecrazyjamesHaha, cycle crazy is right, crazy thing is,, im only 25!! But have come to realization, I only need what im going to ride, so selling every extra frame, part, whatever I have, and only keeping around a few extra parts and such just in case!!!

only? i turned 25 on sunday and i feel old as shit haha.
    You're making my hair grayer.
    HAHAHA, already laughing!!! I meant that Im only 25 and have owned as many bikes than most in their whole life...
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009

There are good bikes with mid-level components that you could only unload for cheap, that are worth more as a complete bike. You know, something like a GT or Diamond MTB with Mountain LX . Not exactly junk but not high-end either.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.