velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorfilthpunx
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009

so im riding down 60th and kingsessing(in s.w. philly) and am about to make a left turn when i notice a cop so i start to slow down, when suddenly my front wheel all but tacos sending me over the bars and breaking a few spokes, ripping em out at the hub.how the fuck did this happen?ive been riding bikes forever and this has never happened.im stumped. luckily im ok but wtf my bikes more important and now i need a new wheel.anybody ever had/heard of the same thing going on? as soon as i began slowin down my wheel just collapsed.its pretty old too,its a not so new 105 hub and some older alex rim,decent stuff. what could of happened?
    • CommentAuthorfilthpunx

btw what i meant by not so new is ive had it for a while, like a year or so and who i got it from had it a while so it wasnt built shitty.thats all
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Is the rim that r450 that you have on your fort? I have a r450 somewhere in my garage and its a piece of crap imo. I wouldnt expect it to randomly implode though. Can you post a picture of the wheel? When you say that you ripped spokes out at the hub do you mean that the spokes snapped or that the hub itself failed? Whats the lacing pattern?
    the only times i have heard of spoked wheels failing like that is when they hit dogs or are used for tricks. maby you just got a defected wheel. not likely but weirder stuff has happend.
    • CommentAuthorfilthpunx
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009

its that same 450 itwasnt too bad of a wheel though rim was crap but i liked the hub and spokes.it looks like the spokes got cut with a pair of dykes, thyre sheared off pretty clean.it was radial laced. i alrready took the wheel apart so no pics.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

In '85 I had just purchased a new Bridgestone and was out on a training ride in Marin County, coming fast down a long winder and BAM! I found myself being picked up by an ambulance. Never went off the road, didn't hit anything, but the front fork was at 60 degrees laterally and the wheel was taco'd. Bridgestone had someone come to check out the bike, but there was never anything found. They replaced the fork and wheel though. To this day I have no idea what happened. I was pretty busted up though.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009 edited

Radial laced with too much tension. So "built shitty".
    • CommentAuthorfilthpunx

you sure thats what it was?ive had that wheel pretty long and rode it everyday.maybe i fucked it up truing it?but that was like 3 months ago.seems like it wouldve happened before .quite the conundrum
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Depends...If it had a warp in it and the rim was actually bent (as opposed to just being a loose spoke or two) it's very easy to put too much tension on a few spokes trying to bring it back to true.
    • CommentAuthormmediaman
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009

i've heard too many stories from the old geezers about radial lacing making the wheel weak. did the spokes shear at the nipples or closer to the hub?
    • CommentAuthorfilthpunx
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009

at the hub
    As I understand it, the claims about radial lacing (on the front) being problematic come from flanges that are too thin to deal with the tension pulling straight out — where the metal is thinnest. I don't think this is a problem any more, but it's moot, since the hub didn't fail. I've never heard of radial lacing causing busting *spokes* before. My guess is that the tension was too *low*. That's what causes most spoke breaks.

I haven't broken a spoke since I was a teenager (that's a surprisingly long time ago), so I'm reporting only what I read. But I've built half a dozen wheels so far and I've never noticed problems from excessive tension, whereas I've noticed peculiarities from spokes being too loose several times.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009 edited

I've been popping the heads offa spokes lately, on two different 26" wheels, both when they were under a side load. The tension wasn't particularly low although both wheels had been built some time ago. I've also pulled spokes out of a hub on a radial-laced wheel but to be fair I accidentally jammed a wine bottle in the front wheel.

In my experience radial laced wheels do not appreciate side-loads like from trackstanding. On my bike I could feel and watch the rim flex side to side when trackstanding.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

36 holes>radial lace>small flange hub is the recipe for disaster, I think that is universally agreed upon.
    Wait, wait, how did this wine bottle get in your front wheel?
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

They radial lace r450's? Maybe my lbs is just cheap.

Accidental wine bottle wheel jamming is all to common of a bike hazard.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

Posted By: suicide_doorsWait, wait, how did this wine bottle get in your front wheel?

It was in a plastic bag hanging from my drop bars.
    Ah.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.