velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormmediaman
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009

bikesdirect (sigh) is pre selling motobecane team track framesets for $349. my question to the forums is:
    is this just a rebranded fuji track pro with a carbon road fork?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/team_track.htm
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

Motobecane's can NOT be sold in any bike shop in the United States because they are NOT up to safety standards. If your going to get something from bikes direct get the Kilo.

Think about it, ever see a new Moto in a bike shop?
    whats not safe about the frames? is it bad welds or somthing else?
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

I saw one come in through my shop that had cracks in both the head tube to down tube weld and the top tube to seat tube weld. The kid had his bike for 3 months, commuted on it through Denver, which has some shitty road conditions in areas; and didn't do any tricks other than the occasional skid. This wasn't a Team Track, but it was one of those orange Messenger ones. I wouldn't trust my lady-friend riding on the team track. And if you've ever worked in a good shop, you know that no bike should go out the door to a customer unless you'd trust your lady-friend/mom/grandmother riding on it.
    damn thats sucks
    Wikipedia spells them out pretty succinctly:
    Motobecane USA assembles bicycles consisting of Kinesis Industry Co. Ltd. or Alu-Mate Material Ind Co., Ltd. frames, both manufactured in Taiwan, and has no relationship to the long-time French bicycle industry manufacturer, Motob├ęcane. The bicycles are sold exclusively by the Cycle Spectrum and BikesDirect.com chains, along with eBay merchants.
    Other bicycle brands associated with this group include Dawes USA, Windsor America, Cycles Mercier, and Bottecchia USA.

As to your question, I very highly doubt that the Fuji is the same as the Moto Team.

Posted By: fixedpuchMotobecane's can NOT be sold in any bike shop in the United States because they are NOT up to safety standards. If your going to get something from bikes direct get the Kilo.

Do you know this for a fact?
    I'm not saying they're great frames, but that's a pretty serious accusation.
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

I haven't seen any written documentation, but thats what Ive heard from a bunch of reputable people in the cycling world. All of which I trust when it comes to bikes.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

yea, these are definitely not just rebranded ftp's. more like a leader, maybe.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009 edited

I'm calling shenanigans on that. They cant be sold at a brick and mortar bike shop but they can be sold at an online bike shop... what law states that quality standards for bikes are variable depending on the distribution system? That sounds so odd that I'd need to see some actual evidence before I'd buy it. There are plenty of bikes that you dont see in shops, Im not convinced that this means that these bikes implode during riding. I suppose it could be true but I'll bet anyone 50 cents that its not.
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009 edited

I'm just telling what I heard.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

bikes direct picked the same frame out of a catalog that fuji did. big deal. welcome to the bike industry.

and when is the last time you saw a mericer in a shop? same difference. bikes direct owns the rights to motobecane, mercier, windsor, etc. and sells them through their website direct to customers. they exclude the middleman and therefore you receive the bike for a cheaper cost.
    • CommentAuthorkirke

I live in Houston tx and there is a shop here filled to the brim with motobecanes. Just saying.
    Whether or not they are actually the same, the frame looks quite similar to the fuji track comp. The only major difference I can see are the dropouts.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009

Posted By: kirkeI live in Houston tx and there is a shop here filled to the brim with motobecanes. Just saying.
    ...probably owned by the bikedirect dude. the company is based out of texas.
    i feel another big thread commin
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: the rabbi
    Posted By: kirkeI live in Houston tx and there is a shop here filled to the brim with motobecanes. Just saying.
    ...probably owned by the bikedirect dude. the company is based out of texas.

Yup. That would be cycle spectrum, which 3 shops exist for here in Houston
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

Well, guess I heard wrong.
    Nevermind all the conjecture/who owns what/where it is made, the bike comes spec'd pretty well, minus the wheels.

Still think the TK2 would be a better choice, not to mention the FTP.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009

Posted By: RideEverydayNevermind all the conjecture/who owns what/where it is made, the bike comes spec'd pretty well, minus the wheels.

Still think the TK2 would be a better choice, not to mention the FTP.
    for the money, the motobecane cannot be beat. you can take that extra money you save with the motobecane and spend it on wheels and be in a lot better shape than either the FTP or the tk2.

09 TK2 ($1399.99) > 09 FTP ($1699.99), anyday. for the msrp of the FTP, they really need to step their wheel game up.
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009 edited

Posted By: the rabbi

09 TK2 ($1399.99) > 09 FTP ($1699.99), anyday. for the msrp of the FTP, they really need to step their wheel game up.

extremely true.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.