velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthoralexbet813
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009

im looking to finish my other bike as quickly and price efficiently as possible what have ppl heard about eigthinch cranks?
    I'm sure they're rebranded. Eighth-Inch is a division of Wheel and Sprocket, a big eBay shop/LBS in... Wisconsin? I don't know who actually makes the crank arms, but W&S definitely does not.
    There are a ton of cheap cranksets out there: Sugino RD, Origin 8, Bulletproof, Truvativ, etc. I would go with something more commonly known and sold.
    i thought there was a 1 thread a day rule?
    I think that is only for users under 15 days of membership.
    ok thanks
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009

thanks for the advice suicide doors, sorry my threads were that bad carbon thought i would contribute a trick i learned today to exchange for advice on cranks.
    Don't worry about it, you asked two totally legitimate questions.
    ya dont feel bad. and im sorry if i offended you. i thought there was a limit but i guess its for the new users. and like s.d said, go with a more popular brand. i would say rds or truv. plus i f somthing goes wrong , your most likley to get a better answer from them as opposed to if you got a hold of 8inch.
    • CommentAuthorMidas
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

i own a eighthinch crank, and i just got a eighthinch scrambler frame. the scrambler frame is great, i decided to get something a little cheaper so i could bang it up when learning tricks and stuff.

as for the crank, as far is a can tell it is a fully competent crank. it is really stiff. and if you want to save some money and not buy the most expensive stuff, i would definitely give eighthinch a try.
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

thanks guys i think im gonna go with the origin 8 propulsion seems to be the price im looking for and based off a few reviews it looks solid as long as i make sure its not re branded (no to worried about that im getting it direct from the distributor) and that im not an idiot when i install it.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009

i'm using it on mine. i have no complaints. great price too!
    • CommentAuthorscruggle
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009

Posted By: alexbet813...based off a few reviews it looks solid as long as i make sure its not re branded (no to worried about that im getting it direct from the distributor) ...

What difference does it make if it's rebranded? It's not like the rebranding company does anything to it besides put a different name on it.
    it looks like a very similar POS crankset from a few years ago was the first incarnation of the origin 8 propulsion crank and that some stores would take that crank and etch in the origin 8 logo allowing them to sell it for much more saying its is a new better quality O-8...

btw was going to buy it through the LBS i work at but stumbled on one for less than cost through an ebay store... they had a 99.9% seller rating so hopefully i didnt get duked lol
    • CommentAuthoribjohn85
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009

I got my O-8 crank from Wheels and Sprocket on eBay for a great price, they even threw in free shipping. I said it in my post, they are a legit company.
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009 edited

eighthinch is the hipster division of wheel and sprocket, a very corporate bike store chain located in various parts of wisconsin. it is very mediocre stuff, equivalent to store brand food items. wheel and sprocket is also an origin 8 distributor, which is also pretty mediocre stuff.
    • CommentAuthoribjohn85
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009

dang bust my bubble Quidose..... oh well mediocrity saved me enough to pick up another bottle of nice scotch.
    Mediocre? Quidose, man, that's FUD. Yes, both EighthInch and Origin 8 are budget product lines, but they work, right? We -- at least, I -- don't constantly hear about bent crank arms or stripped pedal threads. They're heavy and probably won't survive tons of serious abuse, but IBJ isn't looking to start busting 180s with his Schwinn. So what exactly is mediocre about them?

I don't mean to jump all over you personally, but people here make way too many unqualified, shit talking statements. If you have had some sort of experience with the part, why not say so? That way we, and IBJ specifically, can benefit from your knowledge and experience. Otherwise you're just calling budget products cheap. Seems a little redundant.

IBJ, your crank will be fine. If you should want something lighter in the future you can always upgrade. But you're building a budget conversion and that crank will be completely adequate for the job.
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009

i only say this because i used to live in milwaukee, and when i did, i had the inside scoop on everything that was going on at wheel and sprocket. i understood how corporate was working, and i used to hang out back in their rainbow stockroom (which also doubled as their ebay store, with a couple of guys constantly sitting in front of a computer screen processing orders, some of which i'm sure went to members on this very site) while all this eighthinch and origin 8 stuff was first coming in. to me, this stuff represents ugly poser hipster anodization to the max.

and think about it - how much are you paying for the color and how much are you paying for the component itself? let's take, for example, s75 cranks. the colored ones cost up to 30%+ more than the silver ones. even though the analogy may not be exact, it definitely must be taken into consideration when you're purchasing an anodized origin 8 or eighthinch crankset for $45.

and when i said that it was comparable to store brand food items, that's because it really is - eighthinch is the fixed gear sector of wheel and sprocket. it is meant to appeal to poser hipsters in wisconsin, i.e. those who are completely ignorant of the cycling scene and who are also not even aware of the rest of the hipster world and the relatively higher quality parts that accompany such a trend. these products were literally being given to store employees for test builds at the same time they were being marketed and sold to the general public. they obviously have absolutely no track record, and are unlikely to ever sell enough products to build one. i would personally never let any of these parts touch any of my bikes. if you really don't care about the quality of your components, but you still want a candy colored bike, then this stuff is for you.
    • CommentAuthoribjohn85

I'll take my crank and scotch...you can have your pure messenger culture. to each their own though...
    • CommentAuthorquidose

if you want to build a trendy bike that will last almost as long as you do on the bikewagon, then by all means. if you only have pennies in your pocket, but still want all your parts to match, then be my guest. but if you plan to still be riding years down the road on something that you're not embarassed to be on, then i'd go with quality over shit. just get something that will last longer than your attention span.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.