velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Okay so I'm looking to build a budget fixie for around $500 but I could go as high as $800, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could get for around that price? I was thinking maybe a pake or an eightinch scrambler, or even a leader frame but I really don't know what to get. I could also get a 1992 paramount for $200 thats pretty sweet and convert that, but I was looking into getting a fixie frame. And also components, what are some ok budget parts?
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009

Do you want to build it yourself or buy one used complete? Your going to spend more building it... but you get to chose the parts you want. If you chose to buy one used you will get a better bargain.
    • CommentAuthorjckstnly

i was going to build a bike for around your price range, but wound up buying a bianchi pista. it was on sale and i figured that its a quality bike, even if its super duper popular, it would be a good intro fixie. that or a redline 925, just buy something to get you into the game and go from there.
    whatever you do dont buy any thing mercier hahahah

worst pile of crap evaaaaaaa
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: scottybonessswhatever you do dont buy any thing mercier hahahah

you're full of shit. merciers are regarded as a fairly good value and has a decent tubeset.
    • CommentAuthorcarlcastro

^Agreed with the Mercier being a good value bike.

It's only $350 and if you don't like riding, you can probably sell it for around $250-$300. But if you do end up liking to ride fixed gears, then consider a bike you want to buy from there once you have a good idea on what kind of riding you'll be doing.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009

Posted By: the rabbi
    Posted By: scottybonessswhatever you do dont buy any thing mercier hahahah

you're full of shit. merciers are regarded as a fairly good value and has a decent tubeset.

provided you don't want to run tires larger than 28c, the Kilo TT is my vote for best bike in that price point. imo.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Why are bikes like the kilo being mentioned.. he said $500-$800, although he may be new to cycling, he could better some better gear then a kilo.

Raleigh Rush Hour
    Tommaso Augusta
    IRO Angus, Phoenix
    Mission Bicycle Company
    Motobecane Team Track
    (the less popular) Leader 725, 35
    Volume Cutter (if you are cool enough)

Also, Dude, fixie is not the preferred nomenclature. Fixed Gear, please.

ps that rug really tied the room together
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I agree, for up to $800 the kilo isnt something I'd suggest. Its a good bike at its price but its price is much lower than what the OP has to spend. The tommaso augusta is equal to a kilo at best, I used to have one. Not good, not bad, wouldnt suggest it at this price.

Just get an iro and call it a day. I've never heard of anyone being dissatisfied with them and they are in the OPs general price range.
    Wait, wait -- Are you John Goodman AND Jeff Bridges?
    what?
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Posted By: carbon fiber15what?

I knew some people wouldnt get the joke...
    I agree, though, "fixie" makes me want to blow my brains out.
    for $800 you can almost get your bike fully loaded if you shop it right...that would be my suggestion. it will cost you more in the long run to buy cheap-ish components and frame then upgrade. if anything, go cheap on the frame (by that i mean entry level) and buy good, quality components used. trust me just pay the money the first time and it will save you money in the long run...

*this is assuming you're going to like riding enough to stick with it.
    • CommentAuthorJesse C
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009

I really like my Rush Hour. It's a little pricey, but it's a solid bike. And it looks pretty rad this year.
    Posted By: LyKqiD
    Posted By: carbon fiber15what?

I knew some people wouldnt get the joke...

Haha. Am I in the fuckin Twilight Zone here? The day a Big Lebowski reference just gets tossed aside is a day I just wanna skip all together. This bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable, man - ha ha!
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited

Posted By: LyKqiDWhy are bikes like the kilo being mentioned.. he said $500-$800, although he may be new to cycling, he could better some better gear then a kilo.

Raleigh Rush Hour
    Tommaso Augusta
    IRO Angus, Phoenix
    Mission Bicycle Company
    Motobecane Team Track
    (the less popular) Leader 725, 35
    Volume Cutter (if you are cool enough)
    Raleigh Rush Hour - same material as Mercier. upgrade the cranks and wheels and you've got the same thing
    Tommaso Augusta - tubing not as good of quality as mercier
    IRO Angus, Phoenix - tubing still not as good as mercier, but solid company with great customer service
    Mission Bicycle Company - overpriced, powdercoated IRO
    Motobecane Team Track - good, but i don't think it's quite but the OP has in mind.
    (the less popular) Leader 725, 35 - stay away
    Volume Cutter (if you are cool enough) - if he mentioned barspins, i would point him in this direction

i still say get the mercier and add whatever you want to it.

or, the blank mercier frames are available for $200 from bike island.
    Posted By: iron jaidenLaughable, man - ha ha!

Posted By: the rabbii still say get the mercier and add whatever you want to it.

What bothers me is that they're selling the kilo threadless now.. even the bikeisland is only partially threaded. pain in the ass. Alien is about the only company under $500 which does a lugged frame with threaded fork, and it's fucking JIS. I do like that they sell it unpainted for easy chromed lugs.

Actually, I would love to know of other (perhaps lesser known) builders using lugs and threads under $500. Anyone?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009

sparton?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.