velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008

lane splitting
    wrong way down one way streets
    skitching etc.

i know i do.
    • CommentAuthorhenrydec1
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008

wow. I could never get around if i didn't. i run reds like no other, speed, cut/split lanes. just as bad as it gets altough this is jun i got hit by a car and now i try to be more cautious. honestly that just means i look over my shoulder every time i turn in to on coming traffic.
    you know, in the california dmv handbook it shows a diagram of how a biker gets into the lane to turn left, and it literally shows the biker cutting the car off to do so.
    so when i car honks at me for cutting them off for getting into the turning lane, i give them a big ole middle finger in confidence knowing the law of the road has my back
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008

i too do those things, but im cautious and as courteous as possible about it. its the joy of riding a bike, not being stifled by vehicle laws. i find skitching all but worthless on a track bike, unless you're loafing up a hill. lane splitting....well that's just bikers' path of least resistance. i don't bike like that cause i'm an asshole. i bike like that because i can. a car can't split lanes, a car can't piggyback up a hill, a car can't go down a one-way street without messing up the correct flow. that's where we make up time
    I cut lanes and use the crosswalk without dismounting and I ride on the sidewalk sometimes. I don't skitch and I rarely blow redlights. I generally prefer to ride on residential streets, instead of busy thoroughfairs, if given the choice. I do enjoy confronting drivers who have wronged me or have endangered my life. I think thats when my assholyness really shines. I love to use logic and profanity to get my point across in a heated redlight conversation. I love to ask difficult questions like "why don't you look behind you when you are backing up?" or "which vehicle has the right of way when I am going straight and you are turning left?". I have also slammed the door on a few peoples ankles as I pass by while they obliviously try to murder me and go shopping.
    A car doesn't have to be creative when trying to get somewhere. Cyclists do. I never blow red lights (unless there is really NO ONE around) because that's just dangerous. I ride on the sidewalk all the time, because it's often the fastest way to get places. The way I see it is that you gotta do what you gotta do. My commute is about 45 minutes. But if I followed every law and didn't cut through parking lots and such, it would take me damn near an hour and a half with all the traffic. As long as you keep the rubber side down, all is cool.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008

I always cut lanes, because there's usually alot of traffic in my area. I would never just full on blow through a red light, thats a death wish , but I slow down , look, then go through the red light . I dont wear a helmet but sometimes I think I should . I dont skitch unless its like a taxi, I wouldnt want some bike rider holding onto my car (if i had one) .
    • CommentAuthorSir Duke
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008

I run reds all the time in DC but much less so in LA. I think it's the nature of the traffic, street size, etc.

Should def wear a helmet more often.
    • CommentAuthorVman
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited

when i stop at red lights i trackstand right in the middle of the pedestrian crossing --in front of the cars waiting for the light-- just to b in plain sight of all the dumba$$es in vehicles who would crunch me without hesitation on green. not extremely dumbass-esque or anything...but the peds shoot me some wicked glares. & i just pop my collar

I also enjoy weaving through crowds on my campus...not really giving a shit if people spazz and freak out when i pass real close >:) muahah
    • CommentAuthoryoxscotty
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009

i just found this thread, glad to know i'm not the only one who rides like this most of the time.

in ottawa most people are nice, just really dumb. i make sure to look over my shoulder to ensure i'm not passing too close to 'danger' and just go for it. i live in a one way street and bike up it all the time. ride on sidewalks too if traffic is too bad. i've never skitched though, that's just asking for it. i don't want to give bikers a worse reputation than they already have here.

i hope others offer input to this thread!
    • CommentAuthordirtle
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009

riding with traffic is for me a dance: now I ride up in front and cut a turn through a huge intersection, showing all the car folks i'm here, i am aware of what they're doing, and they better respect what i'm doing...

now I pull out and tame down for a moment so the driver in the truck who drives like a stress fest can go by me. no confrontation today...

the balance helps me be confident that it's ok to be a dick sometimes because i am open to backing off too if and when.

this works well in the bay area. my boy out in philly gets a shit storm for biking in the arrogant motorist's lane, so maybe it's a street culture thing too.
    I ride mostly around the University District in Seattle. The motorists here don't have a clue how to deal with cyclists, so I am generally pretty cautious. But if a car is holding me up, I have no problem with making an aggressive move around them. I try not to hold up motorists, so I feel like they shouldn't be hindering my efforts to get where I need to be.
    i ride about 14 miles home evryday from my school. I have to make a couple of very weird turns. Today someone honked at me for running a stopsine. I gave the driver the good old middle finger and it turned out to be a cop. Luckily it was just my uncle saying hello. lol
    Scotty, you ride like my grandma.
    • CommentAuthoryoxscotty
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009 edited

simon,
    how did you know she rode fast and heard? the ole slut gotcha cummin again??

we'll see who drives you to the airport tomorrow fucker
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009 edited

There will always be A-hole drivers AND riders, and I have been both more than once.

I feel there are pro’s and con’s for all sides of this discussion.

I do believe that natural selection favors against the bike though. Please, ride safe kiddies.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Definitely an asshole. I cautiously blow through stop signs/lights, and split lanes when necessary (not needed nearly as often in Houston, since the traffic is rarely that dense and there are plenty of safer back roads to take). We don't have to deal with getting doored as much here, but in trade we get a much higher volume of douche bags in jacked up trucks and SUVs, all of which have no regard for cyclists, so the middle finger pretty much remains permanently extended. Have had a few occasions where people threatened to throw down, none of which followed through (one ending with a cable lock to their tail gate, leaving a nice sized dent).

I've been pulled over twice for blowing stop signs (both of which were clearly safe to run), neither resulted in a ticket though. I did get pulled over for riding in the road once through a heavily biked, by a cop who clearly had no clue about the local bike laws, stating that it's illegal for me to ride in the road where ever a paved (or roughly paved in this case) path exists.
    • CommentAuthor6dayracer

Yeah I ride in traffic all the time. In downtown Portland it's definitely the fastest way to get around. Even through most of the suburbs there are bike lanes or nice side streets to ride. I moved to Seattle supposedly more biker friendly than Portland, and never came across a single bike lane, and a million drivers with no idea where they're going. DANGEROUS! I paid off my rent for 3 months and moved back to Portland ASAP. Except for the rain, I can't imagine a more biker friendly place to live. Case in point: Our new mayor Sam Adams used to be the transportation coordinator and would regularly travel to Europe to get tips on bike laws and host very interesting discussions at the Bikeapalooza fests here. But yeah, when I hear a horn, my middle finger is instantly in the air. Most of the time though it's my friends, I find out later. Haha. If I'm paying taxes to pave roads my bike sure as hell has equal rights to the road as cars do!
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

i'd like to think mpls/stpl is giving portland a run for its money. supposedly ranked no. 2 most bike friendly city in the country, from what i heard.
    Posted By: 6dayracerYeah I ride in traffic all the time. In downtown Portland it's definitely the fastest way to get around. Even through most of the suburbs there are bike lanes or nice side streets to ride. I moved to Seattle supposedly more biker friendly than Portland, and never came across a single bike lane, and a million drivers with no idea where they're going. DANGEROUS! I paid off my rent for 3 months and moved back to Portland ASAP. Except for the rain, I can't imagine a more biker friendly place to live. Case in point: Our new mayor Sam Adams used to be the transportation coordinator and would regularly travel to Europe to get tips on bike laws and host very interesting discussions at the Bikeapalooza fests here. But yeah, when I hear a horn, my middle finger is instantly in the air. Most of the time though it's my friends, I find out later. Haha. If I'm paying taxes to pave roads my bike sure as hell has equal rights to the road as cars do!

Man, I wish Ann Arbor MI. were more like Portland!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.