velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorisodoraC
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2008

Anyone riding 49/18? Looking into it. I think with 700c x 23 tires it's around 71.3 or something. I'd like some feedback if you've use this set up.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2008

I rode 48x16, then 48x18, then 47x18, now I'm at 46x18 wishing I was at 44x18. Spin to win.. high cadence riding is my favorite kind.
    • CommentAuthorcrisone
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008

Is there a big difference from 46/17 to 44/17??? A couple teeth down???
    yeah a few inches per pedal revolution... just try it it's all just opinion
    • CommentAuthorcrisone
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008

^ much appreciated......
    • CommentAuthorsixspeed
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008

47/15

perfect "all around" set-up for me in the city with 43 hills.

i like odd number set-ups, more skid patches.
    46/17 here, good summer ride for 365 days.

kinda got bored of it but ought to try something new.
    Just got a 21t cog.

hopefully 46/21 will help in line tricks.
    • CommentAuthorroadie
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008

42/16 for neighbourhood cruising. fixed 4ever!
    • CommentAuthorCONDENADO
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008

IN MY SEKINE, I USE 52/16.
    IN THE PEUGEOT AND T-TYPE, I USE 44/20, THE BEST RATIO.
    i'm at 48/17 now. a little rough to go up hilly seattle, but never worry to spin out going down hill. it's hard for me to skid or fish tail with this ratio also. smaller chainring or bigger cog? which combo is more manageable? thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008

Posted By: fortunekikii'm at 48/17 now. a little rough to go up hilly seattle, but never worry to spin out going down hill. it's hard for me to skid or fish tail with this ratio also. smaller chainring or bigger cog? which combo is more manageable? thoughts?

I'd drop your chainring first. I've heard that each chainring tooth down is the same as 2 teeth or so in back. A drop down to 46 or 45 up front would be like adding 4-6 in the back. You will run out of options with larger cogs a lot faster than with smaller chainrings.
    • CommentAuthormeatroll

Posted By: greg

I'd drop your chainring first. I've heard that each chainring tooth down is the same as 2 teeth or so in back. A drop down to 46 or 45 up front would be like adding 4-6 in the back. You will run out of options with larger cogs a lot faster than with smaller chainrings.

naw, it's vice versa. cog teeth make a much more dramatic difference.

^ invaluable resource.
    • CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited

Posted By: fortunekikii'm at 48/17 now. a little rough to go up hilly seattle, but never worry to spin out going down hill. it's hard for me to skid or fish tail with this ratio also. smaller chainring or bigger cog? which combo is more manageable? thoughts?

i'm also from seattle and a fan of spinning vs. mashing. in the interest of skid patches, i would change your chainring, because just about anything x 17t=17 skid patches.
    i've been using 46x17 all over the northwest without a problem, but when i eventually replace my drivetrain i will go with something a little higher. i noticed you use risers, which do tend to make climbing a little more difficult than with drops or bullhorns. i'd say drop down to at least a 44 ring if you want to notice any difference.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Er yeah, thanks for the reminder! Flip what I said around and you'll be good to go.
    thanks all... i'll drop that chainring...
    • CommentAuthortaco
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008

Friend of mine has an incredibly geeky (and yes, strangely cool) app on his iPhone that lets you calculate all sorts of stuff like this--number of skid patches, gear inches, etc. You just plug in wheel/tire size, crank length, cog, chainring and so on and so forth and then it shows you all your skid patches--even has a button you can punch if you're an ambidextrous skidder. Again, totally geeky but cool. I just selected a combo that Sheldon Brown suggested and am following his advice--fiddle with it till you find something you like. You can never go wrong following Sheldon's advice.
    • CommentAuthornunie92
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008

is 48/19 good for tricks?
    well i settled on a 38/17

[:

ill keep you guys posted on the pros and cons
    what are your thoughts on 52/19?
    for wheelies, make sure you are also running your rear wheel close as possible to your seat tube. It helps more than you would think.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.