velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

not worth 70$ for that peice of garbage
    • CommentAuthorESR
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009

amen
    • CommentAuthorjam guy
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

I have had mine for five years. No problems.
    Why? What is wrong with them? I've had friends ride them for a long time and have zero problems. How much problems can a sealed hub actually give you?
    I've had a pair for about 4 years and i really like them. i bought them used off a friend who i think rode them for a year or so. the only issue that I had is that the cones have come out of "adjustment," and thus ruined the bearings (twice). I say "adjustment" because after the second time that it happened I got ahold of surly and they told me they were "adjustable". I was a bit confused because I dont know why I would want to adjust them and what made them different than other hubs. To me they are either adjusted to the correct or the incorrect position.

All that being said, these hubs ride great and take a beating, but so do IRO's and they are cheaper.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Of course you have to be able to adjust the cones. There is no internal spacer between the bearings, so it is easy to put a side-load on the bearings if they are too tight. A sealed bearing just means you don't have to grease the bearings, it doesn't mean they don't need to be adjusted.

What probably happened was a cone locknut wasn't tight enough and when you tightened your axle nut it rotated the axle and put a side-load on the bearing. This is why whenever you take a wheel off you check the hub to see if it's too loose or too tight. Also expecting them to come from the factory perfectly adjusted is ridiculous.So is expecting them to remain perfectly adjusted forever.

I have heard that like the Suzue ProMax, the axle nuts occasionally cross-thread and then it is new axle time. Not that big of a deal, unless it's happening every time the wheel is taken off.
    they're fine, you just need to know how to adjust them. even though they are a sealed bearing hub, they still have to be adjusted like a loose ball hub, or you'll fry the bearings. i had some Surly hubs a while back on my Soma Rush, they were not bad if you just took the time to get them right. Not many people know how to or want to mess with that but they're good for the price.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

If the problem is adjustment, you just need to get back to the basics of the mechanism. Like Davey said above, just because bearings are sealed doesn't mean there is no maintenance required... You have bearings and you have cartridge bearings. Cartridge bearings don't need adjustments, basically you set them and go, regular bearings are generally loose ball bearings that require cone adjustments and have a jam nut which will keep them from loosening or tightening. A good example of a very high quality loose bearing hub is Campagnolo. Though I'm not familiar with the Surley hubs, based upon the other responses, they are probably not cartrige bearings and will require maintenance from time to time.
    thank you guys but i think my hub is jus effed for life no matter how i adjust it the bearings just fall apart

i feel like a failure.. time to die
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited

They are cartridge bearings. There is no spacer in the middle so if they are too tight it wears the bearing out. Some sealed hubs have a spacer in the middle or a raised middle section on the axle to keep this from happening.
    • CommentAuthorchabokee
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012

dumb question:
    Its time to replace the bearings in my surly hub; there is no raised bit on the axle between the 2 bearings, so i cant knock them out w/ the axle.
    i guess i can tap them out w/ a screw driver but im concerned i may warp the hub while doing this. is there a better/ correct way? or should i just be careful ?
    thanks
    not dissapointed; its been 5 years
    • CommentAuthorchabokee
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012

also i just noticed i have 2 1mm spacers on the left but only 1 on the fixed side, is this normal or did i loose one?
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012

Sadly we can only deny your claim as to the shoddyness of the hub. When it comes to actual mechanical advice it may be better to seek help elsewhere.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=replace+surly+hub+axle
    the third and fourth results seem helpful.
    Keep in mind that the OP was a teenager who consistently displayed his lack of knowledge and was made fun of routinely. And this thread is two and a half years old.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012

Those silly teenagers.
    I am riding on a Surly free wheel. Had it laced onto a Weinmann Dp18. I actually just installed a 16T sprocket on it. I have been riding on it for at least one year and haven't had any problems. I am very impressed.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013

Needless bump
    • CommentAuthor5pr0ck37
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013 edited

You can always get some Phil Wood hubs, and forget about cone nut adjustment for, well, like ever. The Halo track hubs as well I think.

The only issues I've seen with Surly hubs are cone nut/bearing issues, and with people who still think radial lacing is a good idea. Lots of stress pulling from the spokes on the weakest point possible and *crack* a dead hub. Still a better choice than Origin8 or Formula hubs.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013

Posted By: veggieNeedless bump

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.