velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorElxiddicus
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008

Hi, I've recently begun my first bike-building project, and I have a Peugeot Super Sport road bike with various broken parts.
    The left crank arm is broken and needs replacing, and I figure I'll just replace both crank arms and pedals while I'm at it. I've spent a little while staring at it confusedly and I'm not sure if I can remove the crank arm without removing the whole crankset. There doesn't seem to be a straightforward way, anyway. Can anyone tell me if it's normal for crank arms to be detachable from the chainwheel, or if the opposite is true?
    The crank should just be attached to the chainring by 5 allen bolts, pretty easily removed.
    • CommentAuthorElxiddicus

alright! Thanks Kyle.
    • CommentAuthorbchhun

isn't it the other way around? you can easily remove the chainring, but not the cranks.
    It's all pretty easy. The crankarms require a crank remover, which is a $10 tool. Chainring bolts don't require, but are helped a lot by, a chainring driver, which is a $3 tool.
    • CommentAuthortotal
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008

Seconded that, I had to solve this problem too and discovered the crank remover after maybe a whole hour of confusion, hammering, pulling and staring at the cranks, lol.
    Performance and Nashbar both sell a pretty good starter tool kit for around $70. You'll save money over time by getting one of these rather than buying seperate tools. It usually will have a couple freewheel tools, crank pullers, chain tool, headset/BB wrench, chain whip and several other tools you'll find indispensable if you're working at home.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.