velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm moving from Grand Rapids MI to the bay area, just wondering if anyone new a good area to start out in. Good people, good bike rides, good beer store? Well let me know.
    • CommentAuthorJ Juicy
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008

well. almost all of SF is good, with friendly people, ALMOST. Oakland's nice too, as long as you're not in a bad part; I'd recommend North Oakland if you're moving from out of town. In my opinion, Alameda is like one of those quiet stereotypical towns where everything is the same, except not; and of course it's an island... Emeryville is more business I think, not really much of a city, a lot of warehouses and some good shopping... mostly apartments and condos there.

I don't know if this'll be very helpful, I know it's very vague, and kind of biased

Good Luck!
    • CommentAuthorebrep1
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited

Stay out of the Tenderloin and residential Motels, and you should be fine.
    • CommentAuthorVman
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008

If you have mad money stacks: St. Francis WOod or Marina District. if you're like the rest of us...

Daly City-which is basically northwest of south SF. pretty chill neck of the woods overall. detached a bit from downtown but close enough to bike into the city.

ive always thought it would be fly living around the Western Addition area. but if you want immersion I'm pretty sure most of the bike culture is happening in and around the Haight-Ashbury area.

this is just my $0.02. best of luck brah
    its fresher on the left coast~
    Alameda is like a red neck town in the middle of the bay area. It's cool though. Rent is super high everywhere in the bay. The city is cool if you like paying $900 for a studio and $1200 for a tiny ass one bedroom.
    Just get here and look around. It's hard to give a good advice without knowing what type of person you are and what you like. And don't stay out of the tenderloin just check it out... but beware of the smells that are lurking in there.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008

SF has a neighborhood for everyone, really depends on you.
    Then you have to figure out if you can afford where you want to live as most nice areas are expensive.
    If you don't have much cash and you like riding your bike I would go with outer Richmond or outer Sunset to start out.
    Very chill, good food, close to gg park, and a nice ride to anywhere in the city.

If you don't have monetary limitation that keep you from living in certain neighborhoods you're going to love it, because you will live in a neighborhood that feels like it was built for you. You just have to find the right one.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008 edited

my favorite place to live is Cole Valley
    SF has many stereotypes attached to neighborhoods, you'll soon see
    and I agree with what someone said above, that is a great biking culture area, Cole Valley / Haight / Inner Sunset
    loads of amazing bike shops in that area, but in general the city is biking mecca
    • CommentAuthorTheGiuce
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008

I live in the Mission and love it. The Mission has a decent bike culture for a few reasons:
    - Freewheel bike shop.
    - Boxdog bike shop.
    - Hipsters with fixies.
    - It's flat.
    • CommentAuthorsixspeed
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008

Stay away from Visitation Valley, Hunters Point, Sunnydale, Bay View, and the TL. Bernal Heights area is a bunch of steep hills. I live in the Excelsior District and it's not much of a cycling area. here you only see commuting cyclists. you don't see cyclist just going for a ride in this area.

i used to live in the Inner Richmond. that place is fun and convenient. Next to GG Park. The Panhandle. Close to the Beach. easy ride to Lake Merced. Close to the Presidio. easy ride across Golden Gate Bridge. 10-15 minute ride downtown, or marina. You get to take the Waller Wiggle on the way back. elevation is not too high.

the West is foggy this time of year, but beautiful during spring and summer. The south is boring. The south east is too. east, north east, north, and center of the city is busy and fun.
    ingleside 19th avenue u can bike to goldengate park nd then from there u can go anywhere!!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.