velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

today i was watching this guy doing a wheelie on his fixed gear and he was riding pretty fast and straight into a pothole and he completely taco his back rim, he didn't get hurt but i thought it was pretty damn hilarious
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

I was riding in front of my house... kids watching. Did a couple of sprints up and down the street.... came back. Kids greeted me in the street.... I rolled up, my foot somehow got stuck in the strap and BANG !!! I fell...
    Kids started laughing... I started laughing !!! Ruined my brand new bar tape.....
    Posted By: danzap209I was riding in front of my house... kids watching. Did a couple of sprints up and down the street.... came back. Kids greeted me in the street.... I rolled up, my foot somehow got stuck in the strap and BANG !!! I fell...
    Kids started laughing... I started laughing !!! Ruined my brand new bar tape.....

aha that sucks
    i remember i was in a rush and i had to make a quick turn and my foot wasnt in the cages so my foot was pretty much out there and i got the worst toe overlap ever and i just ate it in the middle of the street. nobody saw it though i hope haha
    I was on a group ride and it just rained. We were going down a hill and I went to skid and my front tire hit a hole/crack in the road and turned my front wheel. Needless to say I went down and my new Strong-X grip on the right side of my drops ripped in half. I was ok but SUPER embarrassed because I fell in front of everyone.

Not my proudest moment..but it was pretty funny.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Pop Wheelies and Quick Release Wheels

to recap:

I was riding a beater today on a bike path through some parks here in Chicago. It was a great day, 70 degrees, lots of sun, just tooling around on a mixte with a quick release front wheel.

I was getting a good 4-6" of lift on some pop-ups, leaning way back, enjoying the ride.

I popped-up about an hour into the ride and my front wheel detached and kept rolling. The wheel rolled on down the path by it self at least 100' from where I crashed. I saw the wheel come out and when I looked down just before I crashed I saw an empty fork. I went over the bars after the fork came down. No injuries besides for some road rash on my left hand and a scraped up knee. I was going pretty slow and my head didn't touch the ground. The beater is going in the trash heap from where it came.

Lesson of the day: check the tightness of your quick release wheels before every ride!
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

Yikes !!!! That sounds nasty....
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

i once ran over a storm sewer grate that was hidden under debris, in a neighborhood which i had just moved into. the fucking thing had the grill oriented with traffic and i was too new to the area to have noticed that death trap before.

long story short: i got forced over the grate by a car, my front wheel dropped down immediately and i flipped over the bars taking the bike with me. not pretty.

i was infront of this half-way house too so there was about 15 ex-meth users sitting outside, laughing their asses off at me.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

I was tailing my friend to a gallery since I had no clue where it was and he ended up stopping abruptly which gave me two options, at least that's what i thought at the time

run into him or run into a tree

I tried to avoid both and ended up slamming my bike into a a cement wall bending my fork, bruising my face, cutting on my foot on the chain and slight loss of memory. The impact was loud enough that everyone in the art gallery came out to see wtf happened. Somehow, I missed the giant blue cement building.

I should have ran into my friend, I would've saved myself a new fork and a bruised ego.
    • CommentAuthoriron jaiden
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited

This is a nice thread.

So I was living in LA (years ago) and had just purchased by first set of clipless pedals. I'd been riding a fixed gear for a long while already so I was pretty confident in my abilities at this point and just wanted to see what all the fuss was about with clipless. After a couple of around the block test rides to get the swing of things and dial in the pedals so I could get out when I wanted without getting out when I didn't I went on my first real ride. Video store run maybe ten miles tops. As I pull up to the video store (anyone know Vidiots over in Santa Monica?) these two girls are pulling up on their bikes from the opposite side of the street. Now fellas when I tell you these girls were BANGIN just take my word here that I know hottness when I see it. These girls were straight gorgeous! Both on real pretty track bikes and both knew damn well how to ride 'em too. I'm totally stunned by these girls but I pull it together cause I know I'm about to start the conversation. It's perfect. Bike kids, good video shop. They're probably both there for the same weird ass David Cronenberg movie about sex slugs I am. These are angels. I think I might favor the one with the cycling cap on so I'll make sure to talk to the other one more and make the girl I really want jealous of her friend. I'll become at least 15% more attractive to her that way for sure. Man this is gonna be a rad night if I play my cards right. Maybe they got nothin going on tonight. Of course they don't it's friday, 9pm, and they're both at the goddamn video store. Oooooo we could all ride down to Mao's kitchen in Venice and get a bite. People know me there. It'll look good. Full of food and jokes you know these girls are gonna be soooo down to come back to the spot and watch Shivers. My apartment is ON the boardwalk for christ's sake. God I'm glad I got that pla.... OH SHIT I'M CLIPPED IN!!! *crash*

It was the fucking goofiest most uncoordinated lookin shit imaginable. 0 mph fall, sidewalk, body draped over the goddamn bike rack, old asian lady outside insisting on helping me up, girls holding back laughter. I didn't even stick around to rent a video. Just got back on the bike and rode home and called it the will of the force. Clearly I wasn't meant to be happy that night. I'm just glad I didn't shit my pants or something mid-fall.

I really loved my clipless setup for a while but when I did eventually go back to riding in clips (no good reason) I tossed those fuckers in the river near my house out of pure spite for what might have been, that fateful evening, so many years ago.
    a while back when i started riding fixed gear bikes i was wondering hey that leg over bar skid looks kinda fun so one day i decided to try it out i was riding in decent speed and as i pulled forward and sweep my leg over the bar i tried to lock my leg as i tried to lock my leg my foot slipped out the peddles and i did a split with my leg caught over my bars and i ripped my pants in 3 places and put a massive dent on my new bars it was the most epic fail i have ever had on my bike i haven't tried doing that since that day
    Posted By: bensonisajewa while back when i started riding fixed gear bikes i was wondering hey that leg over bar skid looks kinda fun so one day i decided to try it out i was riding in decent speed and as i pulled forward and sweep my leg over the bar i tried to lock my leg as i tried to lock my leg my foot slipped out the peddles and i did a split with my leg caught over my bars and i ripped my pants in 3 places and put a massive dent on my new bars it was the most epic fail i have ever had on my bike i haven't tried doing that since that day

Hahahaha!
    That'll learn yah to do silly lookin shit on your bike.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: iron jaidenThis is a nice thread.

So I was living in LA (years ago) and had just purchased by first set of clipless pedals. I'd been riding a fixed gear for a long while already so I was pretty confident in my abilities at this point and just wanted to see what all the fuss was about with clipless. After a couple of around the block test rides to get the swing of things and dial in the pedals so I could get out when I wanted without getting out when I didn't I went on my first real ride. Video store run maybe ten miles tops. As I pull up to the video store (anyone know Vidiots over in Santa Monica?) these two girls are pulling up on their bikes from the opposite side of the street. Now fellas when I tell you these girls were BANGIN just take my word here that I know hottness when I see it. These girls were straight gorgeous! Both on real pretty track bikes and both knew damn well how to ride 'em too. I'm totally stunned by these girls but I pull it together cause I know I'm about to start the conversation. It's perfect. Bike kids, good video shop. They're probably both there for the same weird ass David Cronenberg movie about sex slugs I am. These are angels. I think I might favor the one with the cycling cap on so I'll make sure to talk to the other one more and make the girl I really want jealous of her friend. I'll become at least 15% more attractive to her that way for sure. Man this is gonna be a rad night if I play my cards right. Maybe they got nothin going on tonight. Of course they don't it's friday, 9pm, and they're both at the goddamn video store. Oooooo we could all ride down to Mao's kitchen in Venice and get a bite. People know me there. It'll look good. Full of food and jokes you know these girls are gonna be soooo down to come back to the spot and watch Shivers. My apartment is ON the boardwalk for christ's sake. God I'm glad I got that pla.... OH SHIT I'M CLIPPED IN!!! *crash*

It was the fucking goofiest most uncoordinated lookin shit imaginable. 0 mph fall, sidewalk, body draped over the goddamn bike rack, old asian lady outside insisting on helping me up, girls holding back laughter. I didn't even stick around to rent a video. Just got back on the bike and rode home and called it the will of the force. Clearly I wasn't meant to be happy that night. I'm just glad I didn't shit my pants or something mid-fall.

I really loved my clipless setup for a while but when I did eventually go back to riding in clips (no good reason) I tossed those fuckers in the river near my house out of pure spite for what might have been, that fateful evening, so many years ago.

QFT. epic.
    +a google iron jaiden

not funny but i tor half of my pants off one time next to a kids house(i go to school with him) and had to ride a mile home in heavy traffic with half my pants gone. i dont have that bike any more
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

Aaron C ... That is some funny shit !!!
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

iron j... that was an epic story in what happened, and in the way you told it.
    Posted By: iron jaiden
    Posted By: bensonisajewa while back when i started riding fixed gear bikes i was wondering hey that leg over bar skid looks kinda fun so one day i decided to try it out i was riding in decent speed and as i pulled forward and sweep my leg over the bar i tried to lock my leg as i tried to lock my leg my foot slipped out the peddles and i did a split with my leg caught over my bars and i ripped my pants in 3 places and put a massive dent on my new bars it was the most epic fail i have ever had on my bike i haven't tried doing that since that day

Hahahaha!
    That'll learn yah to do silly lookin shit on your bike.

haha from that experience i dont try any tricks on my bike
    Posted By: Aaron Ci once ran over a storm sewer grate that was hidden under debris, in a neighborhood which i had just moved into. the fucking thing had the grill oriented with traffic and i was too new to the area to have noticed that death trap before.

long story short: i got forced over the grate by a car, my front wheel dropped down immediately and i flipped over the bars taking the bike with me. not pretty.

i was infront of this half-way house too so there was about 15 ex-meth users sitting outside, laughing their asses off at me.

omfg this same thing happened to my friend but it wasn't so funny. We were doing at least 25 and he hits a grate just like this and bends his frame and opens a new mouth on his chin, we spent the rest of the day ridin around lookin for a hospital.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited

Was in Montreal and stopped in front of a Velo Quebec office to get a bike-path map. "They're cool, I'm cool," I thought, pulling up on the sidewalk and doing a rolling dismount. Alas, my foot got caught on my pannier (yes, it's true) as it was coming over the top, and I just couldn't get it unsnagged. My weight was just a little bit off balance, and I couldn't reverse course or free my foot. With about ten people looking, I slowly tipped over and went splat. "Didn't you want a map?" my GF asked as I hustled us both away afterward. "Too proud," I said. And embarrassed. (Though we laugh about it now.)
    • CommentAuthorzakz
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009

One time, I was biking home (drunk) and I was on the phone with this girl I was into. This was on my old road bike, with front and back breaks and all. However, I somehow managed to crash, and the phonecall ended as I hit the pavement. Sure enough, she called me back two seconds later. I had cuts all up my arms and legs, but I told her "Oh sorry. I had to make a sudden stop at the light. I really didn't mean to hang up on you. I hope you're not mad!".
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009

Posted By: zakzbiking home (drunk)

Posted By: zakzon the phone

Posted By: zakzI somehow managed to crash

"Somehow"? "Somehow"?

Someone needs to learn about cause and effect.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.