velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Ok so as most of you know, i'm getting the Mercier Kilo TT. And In your opinion what would make this a SWEEET bike?

I dont want to upgrade the wheelset so thats off limits.

I have so far,
    new bars,
    new grips,
    new rear cog, and what else do u guys think i should add ?

I was thinking maybe a colord KMC chain, but what else do u guys think i should go with? (im getting the bike in green)
    Not sure too many people on here give a shit about color schemes so you might have a hard time getting advice about what color chain to put with what color tarck grips.
    Shit ain't a purse my man.
    What's got you wanting to spend money on upgrades right now? I'd say just get the Kilo TT pro and see if you're happy with it. Loads of people are. Later on down the road if you feel like there's something you'd like to make nicer you should, but I'd give it a little while under your ass before you make that decision.
    Usually the most noticeable upgrades done on bikes are the parts with bearings (bottom bracket, headset, hubs). Often times a pedal upgrade to clipless can be advantageous as can a higher quality crankset but again these are things you'll want to sort out over time. Be patient and just have fun with the new bike for now.

At least that's my advice :)
    ok i think your right, i was just jumping the gun i guess
    Iron Jaiden is right...

Cool down and take it slow. Slowly upgrade things that will actually be worth while like upgrading to a stronger wheelset and a more comfortable seat if you you choose. Don't start buying goofy stuff just to make your bike pretty and matchy. Color-coordination doesn't make your bike faster or better.

The first things I ever look to upgrade are:

Wheelset
    BB/Crank/Pedals
    Seat
    Handlebars

these things basically personalize your bike for you.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited

Dont upgrade anything until you are better at riding than your bike is at biking.
    Posted By: wes m.Dont upgrade anything until you are better at riding than your bike is at biking.

nicely said
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

Upgrades should be to raise the quality of your riding experience.... invest in quality, not color.
    With that said, we all enjoy a nice looking bike :)
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

i will say, off the bat... replace the pedals. they are just shit.
    i say upgrade the parts of the bike that touch your body first and foremost.
    and get a brake!
    ok i think im gonna get new handlebars and grips then maybe some new pedals and clips and straps. eightinch.com sells colored clips and straps, do u guys think i should get those or just some standard black ones?
    Posted By: FixedGearFixok i think im gonna get new handlebars and grips then maybe some new pedals and clips and straps. eightinch.com sells colored clips and straps, do u guys think i should get those or just some standard black ones?

soma clips are solid and relatively cheap, they come in silver, black and white, knowing the Kilo, rock the white ones
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

the bars really aren't that bad. really though, grab pedals firstly.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

Buy quality... then think about color choices.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

Buy MKS pedals and clips .... silver would look good. White or purple straps
    • CommentAuthoriron jaiden

Posted By: FixedGearFixok i think im gonna get new handlebars and grips then maybe some new pedals and clips and straps. eightinch.com sells colored clips and straps, do u guys think i should get those or just some standard black ones?

Haha! Why do I feel like I'm talking to a fucking tree sometimes?

Dude if you want lime green clips then by all means get some lime green clips.
    How exactly are people on the internet supposed to tell you what color you'll like best on a bike component?
    Like I wanna give you real advice and say "hey look into the MKS GR9 pedals, they're great for getting your shoes in and out of and I'd recommend double straps for good foot retention" but you're just gonna ask if the come in fucking gold with sparkles.
    Heh, sorry. Not tryin to be harsh but for real man don't worry about the colors of your components. Really, it's about what's going to work the best for you.

Anyways I'll just say have fun and be sure to post pictures of your bike once you get it all built up :)
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

-plastic clips are yours, your shoes, and your wallet's friend
    -don't waste money on shitty straps.
    -toshis if you can afford them (single or double)
    or mks fit-a
    -OR, if you don't want to spend that much...pake makes "space" straps. they are nylon straps coated in polyurethane. stretch- and slip-proof
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

What is your budget? Pick a area you want to improve then buy what your budget allows.
    Ok Ok fine enuf with me showing my inner fashion designer, ok i will head to my LBS and see waht they suggest.

Also so as many people have suggested, start with a wheelset, so what do u guys think about these?

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1233
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: the rabbi-plastic clips are yours, your shoes, and your wallet's friend
    -don't waste money on shitty straps.
    -toshis if you can afford them (single or double)
    or mks fit-a
    -OR, if you don't want to spend that much...pake makes "space" straps. they are nylon straps coated in polyurethane. stretch- and slip-proof

Hey rabbi or anyone else for that matter, off the top of your head do you know who makes plastic clips similar in style to mks clips? I love the plastic clips on my old 105 pedals but seeing as how they come on 105 pedals they use the 3 hole pattern and mount on the pedal platform not the face. I'd love something similar for gr-9s.

edit: never mind, found some. Feel free to recommend better ones though.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: FixedGearFixOk Ok fine enuf with me showing my inner fashion designer, ok i will head to my LBS and see waht they suggest.

Also so as many people have suggested, start with a wheelset, so what do u guys think about these?

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1233

You dont need a new wheelset until you mess up your first one. If you insist on buying something buy a saddle that agrees with your butt.
    ok thanks

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.