velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009

i apologize if this was in a past thread already.
    anyways, i blew out my back tire tonight while skidding and i'm pretty sure it's because my tire was crappy to begin with.
    if you skid, what's your opinion on the best brand/type of tire to skid with and what will last the longest?
    many thanks,
    zach
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

Soma everwears are good if you like to skid. I prefer the Panaracer Stradius pro(Soma outsources their tires to Panaracer) they aren't quite as tough as the everwears but they allow you to roll on a higher psi (160). They have this "ZSG" zero slip grip compound that makes riding in rain not as sketchy.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Gatorskins are my fixed gear tire of choice.
    Posted By: wes m.Gatorskins are my fixed gear tire of choice.

+1
    i ride specialized armadillos they last and works fine for me
    vittoria randonneur
    Soma everwears-2 months
    Gatorskins-2 months

Im curious on something better. Are randonneur's all hype?
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Posted By: GOBSTOPTODROPSoma everwears-2 months
    Gatorskins-2 months

Im curious on something better. Are randonneur's all hype?

A friend talks worlds about randonneur's, however, he goes through tires once a month. Skid happy.
    I burn up Everwears in a month or less....living on a big hill and having work at the bottom of the hill is a world of fun lol

I just ordered a Randonneur so i'm hoping i don't go through it as fast but we will see. Everwears do justice and I ride mine at 130 psi and have never had a problem with them.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: GOBSTOPTODROPAre randonneur's all hype?

I don't know how well Randonneurs perform in a fixed-gear context, but as city riders, they're tanks. I've been running them on my mountain bike/townie beater/grocery bike for three years, and I haven't had a single flat. I've pulled thorns, glass, screws, nailheads, bits of barbed wire out of them - no adverse effects. I'm shopping for a pair for a touring bike, just to see...
    Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: GOBSTOPTODROPAre randonneur's all hype?

I don't know how well Randonneurs perform in a fixed-gear context, but as city riders, they're tanks. I've been running them on my mountain bike/townie beater/grocery bike for three years, and I haven't had a single flat. I've pulled thorns, glass, screws, nailheads, bits of barbed wire out of them - no adverse effects. I'm shopping for a pair for a touring bike, just to see...

ok sick, that's good info
    • CommentAuthorRasmus
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

Vittoria Rubino Pro are a force to be reckoned with, one of my mates have got 8 months of skidding out of he's pair. He then changed to Michelin Pro3, then he's back tire gave in after 7 weeks :/.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

Posted By: RasmusVittoria Rubino Pro are a force to be reckoned with, one of my mates have got 8 months of skidding out of he's pair. He then changed to Michelin Pro3, then he's back tire gave in after 7 weeks :/.

8 months?! looks like i know what i'll be purchasing then...
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

gatorskin +1
    specialized armadillos are nice too
    our specialized LBS went out of business so its gatorskins for ease of purchase
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

comparing gatorskins to bontrager hard case's. they are both quality durable tires but the gatorskins have a softer compound which means the hard cases outlast them. my rear hard case has held up really well.
    • CommentAuthorfirebush
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009

Posted By: fixedpuchSoma everwears are good if you like to skid. I prefer the Panaracer Stradius pro(Soma outsources their tires to Panaracer) they aren't quite as tough as the everwears but they allow you to roll on a higher psi (160). They have this "ZSG" zero slip grip compound that makes riding in rain not as sketchy.

Careful... people forget that as far as clincher rims go, even if a tire's PSI is rated above 140 most rims are NOT. you can actually bend/deform/ or blow your rim apart if you pump up clinchers too much. If you want higher PSI (less rolling resistance) go with some tubular rims! that's where the real weight saving/ speed is. of course they are a pain in the ass, but some people are into that ; )
    • CommentAuthorEmery
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

just picked up 4 new 700 x 25 vittoria rands for 100 bucks (chari and co, NYC). anyone have any experience with these? i always avoided the rands before b/c they only came in 28s (too beefy for me and i don't do wheelies, baughspins, or stairs) but this seemed like a good deal.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

They are heavy low psi tires with a lot of rolling resistance. They are absurdly tough. They are a good choice when durability is more important than high performance.
    damn, so i'm gonna be sluggin. oh well. skid away, i guess.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.