velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorschaevitz
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010

Posted By: das_pyrate
    Posted By: schaevitz
    Posted By: the rabbiI'm gonna go out on a limb and say75% of people who say they don't need a brake actually need one when it comes down to it.

ya. but in those situations where people can't stop before they hit something or get hit, moving your hand to pull a brake lever really isn't going to stop you much quicker.

um yeah that's bullshit dude. a brake will always stop you faster than a skid will.

i never said skidding would stop you faster. i just said pretty much if you know what your doing and how to effectively skid stop, or even more so a ted shred, a brake wont stop you MUCH faster.
    Posted By: das_pyrate
    Posted By: the rabbiI'm gonna go out on a limb and say75% of people who say they don't need a brake actually need one when it comes down to it.

ya. but in those situations where people can't stop before they hit something or get hit, moving your hand to pull a brake lever really isn't going to stop you much quicker.

um yeah that's bullshit dude. a brake will always stop you faster than a skid will.

i never said skidding would stop you faster. i just said pretty much if you know what your doing and how to effectively skid stop, or even more so a ted shred, a brake wont stop you MUCH faster.
    Yea because u will be weaving side to side doing no more than 10 MPH... that's pretty much the only safe way to ride brakeless

I remember bombing down Beford Ave one night w/some Nu Fred... no brakes, no lights, no helmet... you might say he knows what he's doing... I say he's an idiot & an accident waiting to happen

If a car jumped out or w/e... dude would have been dead... there's no technique to stop effectively w/no brakes from 25 MPH
    • CommentAuthorcreasetoe
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010

learn to regulate your speed and control your cadence.
    then you will rarely have to skid.
    i rode brake less on a one of those $10 czar 23c tires for 4 or 5 months and never wore through it.
    i just replaced it yesterday only because i wanted to try a different one.
    • CommentAuthorhcbryan3
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011

I recommend Soma Everwears. They have the thickest amount of rubber down the center of the tread. 5mm carbon rubber... Just be careful in areas with debris and don't over do it if you can help it. I've noticed that the sidewalls tend to susceptible to tears and nicks. I think partly because the rubber is so dense that it tends to grab a bit harder at the road surface. Also, try pop-stopping. Shift your weight forward and give the crank a quick and sharp tug back and then continue pedaling. Your tire will skip quickly and you'll be able to slow yourself without completely killing your tire. A front brake is always a good idea as well, you never know when you might need to have that extra stopping power (most of a bike's stopping power comes from the front brake). Just don't nail that sucker, bad news bears.
    I know this doesn't hold true for everyone, but I have rarely ever seen someone riding brakeless actually going fast. I do skid but run a front brake because I try to get everywhere as fast as I can (unless of course it's a leisurely ride). I've been in several situations where my front brake saved me from supermaning unsuspecting pedestrians or being doored. BTW I ride on 25c conti gators and I don't think I'll ever switch to another brand.

Posted By: creasetoelearn to regulate your speed and control your cadence.

Also this
    Posted By: wes m.A hand brake doesnt stop you much faster than skid/skip? Really? I challenge you to a stop off!

I'll warn you, I have challenged brakeless riders who make that claim to stop offs before. They were annihilated.

• CommentAuthorhenrydec1
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011

gatorskins are my favorite (23c)
    • CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011

This just occurred to me: http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1323

Schwalbe Marathon Plus

The tread on these tires are so thick that I struggled for 45 minutes to get the tire on the rim without it popping back off 1/2 way around. It was a serious pain in the ass, but I have not had to replace since. They are impenetrable and have reflective sidewalls which is neato.
    1. Get at least a front brake and use it whenever you can.
    2. Don't spend more than $30 on a tire...that's ridiculous.

That aside, I recommend the Thick Slick tires by freedom bicycles. They really are thick, and they're around $20 for a pair.
    • CommentAuthoruhler
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011 edited

what's the point of skidding? so you can impress hot babes?

Spending $60 a month on tires isn't going to get you the ladies.
    My friend just gave me a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I agree i was a bitch to put on. It lays some heavy black skid marks. The tire is heavy as hell but they are bombproof.
    • CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011

Posted By: PandaInTheMistMy friend just gave me a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I agree i was a bitch to put on. It lays some heavy black skid marks. The tire is heavy as hell but they are bombproof.

I googled them and the price came up relatively high, like $45? I don't remember paying that much for them...but if I did it was worth it because they have been on the bike since 2009.
    • CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011

Posted By: squiresuzukiThat aside, I recommend the Thick Slick tires by freedom bicycles. They really are thick, and they're around $20 for a pair.

These look neat. I think I'll give these a try in the future.
    Some pics of my Continental 4-Seasons (which are practically identical to Gatorskins):

That's right, I'm all the way through the tread. Chunks are coming out of it. The rubber is dry and crumbly.

These tires are about 18 months old. I have brakes and gears, so I'm not trashing them unduly. The sidewalls started to separate within a couple of weeks.

I'm using some Michelin Lithions right now. No flats, no untoward wear, and they're lighter.
    • CommentAuthormktng
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011

Thickslicks
    • CommentAuthorkemz562
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011

if your in a emergency situation on your bike. use what i call emergency brake. put your foot on the back tire. better than brakes or skidding haha. but i only use it emergencies that why i call it that but most time i just whip that shit and skidd haha
    • CommentAuthoruhler
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011

ted shred!
    Posted By: kemz562put your foot on the back tire. better than brakes or skidding haha.

Haha no its not
    • CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011 edited

Posted By: Joshua A.C. Newman
    Posted By: kemz562put your foot on the back tire. better than brakes or skidding haha.

Haha no its not

Haha, this understated contradictory response made me chuckle and spill coffee on myself.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011 edited

Posted By: kemz562. put your foot on the back tire. better than brakes or skidding haha

I can top all three.

Boom! Instant go-stopper. Guaranteed to maximize your inertia.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.