velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorLumpyGnome
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010

I've ran all sorts of tires, and making the investment in buying vittoria randouneers is the best way to go, i got three months of solid riding, with no brakes, (i hold sit-skids, and often use my legs to slow the rotation of the wheel). The randouneers have literally three or four layers to them, and they definitely hold up better than everwears or gatorskins. I love everwears for their size and how they are easier to skid on, and gatorskins are awesome front tires, but it's worth your money just to drop it on a rando.
    Also, i heard that the new 25c randouneers have less layers, (logically), then the 28c, so if thats the case, might as well go for the 28c.
    Good Luck!
    In response to the person that suggest you dont need to skid cause it looks weird,Isn't skidding the fun part of riding a fixie? Where would I be without skidding I cant do any tricks lol!!! Plus it freaks people out they think I'm doing something nasty to my stem. You should love you're bike right? Ive tried lots of different tires and they all seem to last 2 weeks -month. The Soma everwear which Ive never have bought is $60 (CAD)! Thats three months of rear tires. Based on how often I change rear tires I would spend more on the Everwear vs regular tires. My suggestion is to find a tire that is reasonable in price and stick with it. Vittoria and Specialized make quality tires for about $20 (cad) a pop. There are some really cheap tires out there STAY Away. I has two red tires really cheap like $10 and the sidewall wouldnt hold the suggested PSI and I got big bubbles? Guesse I deserved that? I find I need something that holds at least 120psi they are a little more enduring. Less contact and friction? Plus they roll a lot faster. Anyways I'm new to velo space looking forward to arguing jeering cross examining and even somtimes agree with y'all PZ out
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

28c will not fit on my track bike.
    • CommentAuthorayyyyy

Conti supersports
    Posted By: fixed internationalupdate on the new 25 randos: so far, so skid. they skid quietly and softly. i've been letting them have it for for a week (esp. yesterday on the lakefront path maneuvering around fairweather cyclists, lovers, toddlers, babies, dogs, etc.) and haven't notice any real wear on the rear tred. they're a bit heavy and hard but a good compromise between beastly, knobby 28s and skinny lightweight training tires when you need durability. i highly recommend them. now send me some free tires vittoria!

hey, im pretty sure the 25's actually are just thinner than the 28's.

i rode gatorskins non-folding for a long time. there great, and you dont really blow them out ever. however, your highly susceptible to flats. ( i ran 23's and 25's ). i recently switched to 28 randos, and being that they run like a conti 25, but you can run them at 85psi is pretty rad. there soft enough that they skid easily, but they also wear really evenly (given the right gearing ratio)

however, i think if its your everyday bike, you should probably use a front brake. its not anymore zen. you can still skid for fun, but brake for safety. im just saying
    • CommentAuthorvetuv
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010

What would you guys recommend in a 23c, with a gum wall? I have some panaracer tour guards now that seem to be holding up well. Just wondering if there are any more options out there I should know about. Gum wall isn't necessary but would prefer it.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

+1 to the Randonneurs, heavy but tough, just ride something lighter in the front to balance it out

and gatorskins highly susceptible to flats? since when, isn't that one of the main attractions, that they aren't as susceptible to punctures but still roll at a decent psi?
    • CommentAuthoreBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Posted By: LUAre randos 28 really are 28s, or do they ride a bit bigger.
    My frame can't go any bigger than that.
    they run smaller than actual 28's, more like a 26c.
    • CommentAuthorasalinas
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited

im on some schwalbe blizzards...not baddd
    Posted By: per.k+1 to the Randonneurs, heavy but tough, just ride something lighter in the front to balance it out

and gatorskins highly susceptible to flats? since when, isn't that one of the main attractions, that they aren't as susceptible to punctures but still roll at a decent psi?

i rode gators for about 3 years on my fixed commuter. ill say this. they last forever if your skidding for fun and utilizing a hand brake the rest of the time. and its true that they are very highly resistant to sharp objects in the road. inversely, i was riding them on a rim with a very deep dish (aliens), and had a hell of a time getting them on and off of the rim. on my roadie, there amazing. i did suffer alot of pinch flats from the bead ( non- folding ). gators are dope road tires, but im with the Rando people. since winter ended, i built up a nicer bike and didnt bother putting a brake on it. ive got a solid 3 monthes of skidding on the the rando without any brakes. the sidewalls are now cracked and i have a pretty even strip of red all the way around the rear tire. and not one flat yet. im not really concerned with weight of my tires on a commuter anyway.
    • CommentAuthorJohnny B
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010

Posted By: schaevitz
    Posted By: the rabbiI'm gonna go out on a limb and say75% of people who say they don't need a brake actually need one when it comes down to it.

ya. but in those situations where people can't stop before they hit something or get hit, moving your hand to pull a brake lever really isn't going to stop you much quicker. when im in a situation that i need to stop quickly, even though i have a brake, using it doesn't cross my mind. I run a brake, for legal reasons, and parental reasons. if the previous 2 things mentioned weren't an issue, I would probably go brakeless.

I lol'd. Don't really have to move your hand too much unless your brakes is somewhere dumb, say, I don't know, a seat tube.
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

really didn't like the 28c rando. just felt sluggish. I'd rather go fast than skid all the time tho, so YMMV. and yes, the 28c is way smaller than other 28's I've ridden. some forums suggest using a tube rated for 26c with them, and while I haven't tried this, I do see the logic. the smaller rando's have been getting a bit of bad press in general around the net, but as I didn't like the thicker ones, I have little to zero desire to experiment with the skinnier ones.
    randonneur.......$30 for a few months of rubber. =)
    • CommentAuthorbmaxwell
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010

I find Randos to be great front tires for traction and grip, but I skidded through my rear in 2 months. I have a Soma Everwear that I rode with forever until the sidewall started to bust open. Just got the new Super Everwear yesterday and it seems like the perfect skid tire now.
    ... figured would be a good place to ask...
    does anyone know if a 25c tire would fit on a Miche Pistard WR wheel. I have looked for size info but really cant make sense of it all. i use the 28 randos for reaer but those will not fit on the WR's, kinda hoping the 25's would
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

What do you mean would not fit?
    too wide i guess, i was trying to transfer them from B43's to the Wr's and was not able to "clinche" them... maybe i suck at changing bike tires as much as i suck at car parts...
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

The tires should fit fine. The 28s should too.
    well that sounds good.. ill try em tonight and deal with my embarasment tomorrow ty
    • CommentAuthordas_pyrate
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010

Posted By: schaevitz
    Posted By: the rabbiI'm gonna go out on a limb and say75% of people who say they don't need a brake actually need one when it comes down to it.

ya. but in those situations where people can't stop before they hit something or get hit, moving your hand to pull a brake lever really isn't going to stop you much quicker.

um yeah that's bullshit dude. a brake will always stop you faster than a skid will.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.