velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

It took over 25 posts for someone to tell this guy to get a brake. You guys are losing your edge.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Posted By: deermatt
    Posted By: o0 Corey 0oLately Ive really only been skidding when I really have to. Just slowing down your pedaling is really effective for stopping, its just a bit more work. Also a lot cheaper.

This . Skidding non stop is pretty cool when you first get a bike , but now I rarely skid , and when I do its sitting , which is more effective anyway. Tires last much longer, you legs will improve, and you look less of a retard boner skidding .

That's so cute, you still think people skid out of necessity.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

maybe I'm naive ..
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: sfbeeIf only there were some sort of components that were easily accessible/controlled by your hands, that would allow you to bring your wheels to a stop in a smooth and controlled fashion...

I have no documentary evidence to confirm this, but I feel quite confident that (my country being my country) a large percentage of the no-handbrake advocates are also denouncers of soccer, without seeing the logical inconsistency.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I dont know what you mean, but I hate watching soccer, but I like to play it .
    handbrakes are good. I don't run them on my fixed gear because I don't need them, and I have more fun riding without them. Simple as that.
    yeah i only skid when i have to unless i ride by an american apparel.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: sfbeeIf only there were some sort of components that were easily accessible/controlled by your hands, that would allow you to bring your wheels to a stop in a smooth and controlled fashion...

I have no documentary evidence to confirm this, but I feel quite confident that (my country being my country) a large percentage of the no-handbrake advocates are also denouncers of soccer, without seeing the logical inconsistency.

Makes perfect sense. I like baseball and I always use a brake. You are on to something here.
    • CommentAuthormafffoster

Vittoria Rubino Pro +1
    • CommentAuthorAmbuletz

Posted By: diamond daveyeah i only skid when i have to unless i ride by an american apparel.

ME TOO. but you forgot Urban Outfitters.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 75% of people who say they don't need a brake actually need one when it comes down to it.
    • CommentAuthorRood

Solid tires

bam, problem solved--no more mid-skid blowouts
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

And they feel like you have 40psi.
    • CommentAuthorschaevitz
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010 edited

Posted By: the rabbiI'm gonna go out on a limb and say75% of people who say they don't need a brake actually need one when it comes down to it.

ya. but in those situations where people can't stop before they hit something or get hit, moving your hand to pull a brake lever really isn't going to stop you much quicker. when im in a situation that i need to stop quickly, even though i have a brake, using it doesn't cross my mind. I run a brake, for legal reasons, and parental reasons. if the previous 2 things mentioned weren't an issue, I would probably go brakeless.

and on to the tire.... had a gatorskin, lasted me about 3 or 4 months. the downside to a gatorskin is that holding sit-skids and smoothness of skids is much more difficult (due to the lesser duro. mentioned before). ive been running a 28 rando for about 1.5 months with a 17 skid patches. it has quite a few pink/red spots, but should probably last me atleast 2 or 3 more weeks.

next, ill probably try an everwear, and see where that takes me.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010

A hand brake doesnt stop you much faster than skid/skip? Really? I challenge you to a stop off!

I'll warn you, I have challenged brakeless riders who make that claim to stop offs before. They were annihilated.
    update on the new 25 randos: so far, so skid. they skid quietly and softly. i've been letting them have it for for a week (esp. yesterday on the lakefront path maneuvering around fairweather cyclists, lovers, toddlers, babies, dogs, etc.) and haven't notice any real wear on the rear tred. they're a bit heavy and hard but a good compromise between beastly, knobby 28s and skinny lightweight training tires when you need durability. i highly recommend them. now send me some free tires vittoria!
    vittoria rando cross, used brakeless for about 3 months before giving out. very solid tire.
    • CommentAuthorLU
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010

Are randos 28 really are 28s, or do they ride a bit bigger.
    My frame can't go any bigger than that.
    • CommentAuthorcjpark86
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010

gatorskins +1
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010

Amen.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.