velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

The review of the 25c randos on tracko wasn't too great.
    Posted By: wes m.They are heavy low psi tires with a lot of rolling resistance. T

wait a minute. i just pulled one out of the box and they're 130 PSI. are you sure you're not referring to the 28s? or do you consider 130 PSI low?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

If they got them up to 130 thats news to me. I dont see how they could have jumped 50psi by dropping 3mms of width. Is the whole tire redesigned or something?
    from: http://www.chariandconyc.com/vittoria-randonneurtire-1.aspx
    # 60 tpi nylon casing
    # Double Shielding puncture protection
    # Aqua-Flow tread pattern
    # Color Tread/Side: Black
    # Tire Type: Clincher
    # Tire Diameter: 700c
    # ISO Width: 25 mm
    # ISO Diameter: 622
    # Tire Bead: Wire
    # PSI: 80 PSI Max

so you're correct according to them. However, here is what the tire said (which i misread): "PRESSURE: MIN. 7 BAR/100 PSI-MAX. 9BAR/130PSI/MOUNT ONLY ON HOOKED RIM/ <- ROTATION"

i plead ignorance. i have no idea what this means. does this mean 100 PSI max?

edit:

here's what ben's cycle says
    Vittoria Randonneur - Wire Bead - 700x25c
    $28.99

Vittoria Randonneuer Clincher Tire* - 700x25c

# 60 tpi nylon casing
    # Double Shielding puncture protection
    # Aqua-Flow tread pattern
    # Color Tread/Side: Black
    # Tire Type: Clincher
    # Tire Diameter: 700c
    # ISO Width: 25 mm
    # ISO Diameter: 622
    # Tire Bead: Wire
    # PSI: 130 PSI Max

i'm just gonna go with what the tire says, which i believe ben's cycle has correctly interpreted.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I can't speak for the vittoria randonneurs, but maxxis refuse are cheap, make a pretty awesome noise when you skid, and are really durable.
    Posted By: sfbeeI can't speak for the vittoria randonneurs, butmaxxis refuseare cheap, make a pretty awesome noise when you skid, and are really durable.

haha, ya, i bought one of those at my LBS when i skidded through my panaracer pasela tourguard a few months ago. a very high-pitched "weeee!" like a pig squealing or something.
    • CommentAuthorcloud

that's a good thing?
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

If I'm going to throw my money and tread away doing needless skids, I might as well do it in a loud and obnoxious fashion. :)
    Posted By: fixed internationalHowever, here is what the tire said (which i misread): "PRESSURE: MIN. 7 BAR/100 PSI-MAX. 9BAR/130PSI/MOUNT ONLY ON HOOKED RIM/ <- ROTATION"

i plead ignorance. i have no idea what this means. does this mean 100 PSI max?

i'm just gonna go with what the tire says, which i believe ben's cycle has correctly interpreted.

It means that you shouldn't go lower than 100psi, presumably because it increases the chances of the tire blowing off the rim.

100psi - minimum

130psi - maximum
    I run them on the back and they hold 85 psi in them and ive been riding the same tire for 3 months with skidding I still have alot of life in them
    why skid?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: diamond davewhy skid?

Onoooooo! Here we go again!

Gentlemen, don your goggles...
    Posted By: diamond davewhy skid?

this is not the topic of the thread. why don't you start a "why skid?" thread and see what answers you get.
    I dont skid just to skid but I skid when I really need to stop/ slow down.
    try skip stopping. might stop quicker.
    • CommentAuthoro0 Corey 0o
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited

Ive had randonneuer on the back before. They feel great to skid with, but they are also pretty soft and they only last me around a month. Ive only ever run 28s, and I alway inflate them to 90-100psi, I find that the recommended pressure is lower than what they really are good for.
    Everwares are the best in my opinion if you skid a lot and dont want to get a new tire every month. They pretty much suck in terms of everything besides long lastingness though. They square pretty fast, and the side walls are extremely weak. They skid great though and are by far the longest lasting tire Ive ridden.
    Someone said Gatorskins, If you skid dont get them, at least not for the back. They skid horrible, and wear fast. Great tires otherwise, but not for skidding.
    Posted By: diamond davetry skip stopping. might stop quicker.

I find it funny when ppl need to stop while they are going 48593845948mph they do the balls to stem skid(we all did that at one point) but yeah I skid sitting down and stuff and I do alot of skip and hopping to slow down and gnarly hockey whips ;]
    Lately Ive really only been skidding when I really have to. Just slowing down your pedaling is really effective for stopping, its just a bit more work. Also a lot cheaper.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: o0 Corey 0oLately Ive really only been skidding when I really have to. Just slowing down your pedaling is really effective for stopping, its just a bit more work. Also a lot cheaper.

This . Skidding non stop is pretty cool when you first get a bike , but now I rarely skid , and when I do its sitting , which is more effective anyway. Tires last much longer, you legs will improve, and you look less of a retard boner skidding .
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

If only there were some sort of components that were easily accessible/controlled by your hands, that would allow you to bring your wheels to a stop in a smooth and controlled fashion... I'm sure we'll see hover boards and flying cars before such a silly stopping device would exist.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.