velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthoriron jaiden
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited

Yes, Phil Wood hubs spin like goddamn angels on ice skates.
    I never wanted to buy into the hype on these. I knew they were sweet but really, how different could high quality bearings and properly machined surfaces really be from the good old formula rebrands?
    That different.
    This thread isn't gonna start much of a discussion but I do wanna say that this company knows how to make a hub.

That is all.
    how much are they and can u post a link? i wanna check these said "goddamn angels on ice skates." out
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009

i'm pretty pumped on a phil bb coming soon!
    Posted By: TRICKonmyTRACKhow much are they and can u post a link? i wanna check these said "goddamn angels on ice skates." out

Phil Wood Website

They tend to run about $180 for the front hub and $200 for the rear new.
    I almost never buy anything new so I got the rear wheel (Phil laced to Velocity Deep V) off a dude here for $200 and the front (same) off eBay for about $190.
    More expensive than most stuff out there but so worth it.

And yeah they're bottom brackets are just as nice. I mean every know Phils are the shit I've just never ridden on em though and got really surprised tonight that I could actually feel the difference.
    Posted By: ohsodistant....campy record hubs aren't bad either.

Cheers.

Well yeah Records are beautiful too. In the years I've been riding I've never really been lucky enough to have a great wheelset. Once I had some Dura-Ace track hubs but they were loose bearing and not in the best shape when I got 'em.
    I've always ended up with nice components on nice frames and mediocre wheelsets. Until now that is :)
    Phil wood hubs are awesome, I miss my set all the time, they were tanks. but I do like my dura aces now to, campys are nice as well.. Gosh hard to choose, I like the phils the most hands down
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Yes, San Jose is proud. We are home to phil wood and joey chestnut (hot dog eating world champion).

If you have some money and you are thinking "hey, what baller bike part should I get? An aerospoke? A hed3? Some njs this or that? A new messenger bag and skinny jeans?" the correct answer would be anything produced by phil wood.

Not only do they spin forever, they last forever. A phil hub is equivalent to a chris king headset or ron popeil turkey rotisserie. Set it and forget it.
    Posted By: wes m.Yes, San Jose is proud. We are home to phil wood and joey chestnut (hot dog eating world champion).

If you have some money and you are thinking "hey, what baller bike part should I get? An aerospoke? A hed3? Some njs this or that? A new messenger bag and skinny jeans?" the correct answer would be anything produced by phil wood.

Not only do they spin forever, they last forever. A phil hub is equivalent to a chris king headset or ron popeil turkey rotisserie. Set it and forget it.

Funny enough I asked my girl for a Chris King headset for my birthday comin up. Nothin wrong with the budget Tange on there now but I'm lovin the shit out of my new GTB so I think imma make this thing my forever-ever bike, might as well get it sweet as sugar.
    Started with the nice carbon fork to soak up some road, then the Phil hubs, next the King headset, and lastly a nice Thomson seatpost and it'll be just beautiful :)
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

Ya, I have been riding on my rear Phil hub for about 2 months now and I just finished lacing my front up a week or two ago. And they are so buttery smooth, its amazing how long they spin for. Definitely worth the money. My justification was they would last me longer than my knees will so I might as well get them. My Campy Chorus BB(it has an ass ton of miles) is about crapped out and I'm probably going to put a Phil in.
    hehe comment
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009

Posted By: wes m.Not only do they spin forever, they last forever. A phil hub is equivalent to a chris king headset or ron popeil turkey rotisserie. Set it and forget it.

What's even more important is that the PW-dudes still provide support for absolutely everything they've ever made. This includes replacement parts, and they've hung on to the necessary tools for all the older variations of the hubs.
    I just got my phil wood bottom bracket in the mail and my new wheels with profile hubs and open pro cd rims will be coming soon.

With my king headset, profile hubs, and phil wood bottom bracket, I'm hoping this bike will last a very long time.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

Posted By: eaglerockron popeil turkey rotisserie. Set it and forget it.

ftw
    lmao you guys are drinking the phil wood koolaid so hard.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

or we enjoy riding on quality parts
    • CommentAuthorheadydude

never ridden them, but have never heard one bad word about them.
    • CommentAuthortyler215

their hubs arnt that much more expensive than alot of other parts out there, and when you factor in that they will last forever you really cant beat them
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

ya, dont be a sour puss, octopus magic
    Posted By: octopus magiclmao you guys are drinking the phil wood koolaid so hard.

Haha dude you know that ain't koolaid, it's wine. And it's good wine. :)
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited

Posted By: iron jaidenHaha dude you know that ain't koolaid, it's wine. And it's good wine. :)

Are we talking mad dog 20/20 good, or is some high end bartles and james shit?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.