velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey Gang,

I am building a new bike. Just bought a Pake Track Frame. The bike is completely for road use. I dont want anything flashy or something necessarily made for racing, but still want high quality.

I need a track/single speed crankset with 170mm arm length.
    Everyone tells me that the Sugino 75 is the standard, but Im a lil concerned with dropping that much. Is there a track crankset out there thats high quality but not so painful on the wallet? Seems like most people online dont approve of the Sugino RD. I only 150lbs, so should i really be concerned with bending my crank?

The Pake's BB shell is 66mm.
    Also, what's a good sealed bb that fits the 75s? Or what else would be appropriate? Phil Wood's sound like the crack, but again a lil expensive and might be over kill for a road bike.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be much appreciated.
    Thank You.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

I am selling my 75's. I sent you a pm.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009

There is no shortage of threads addressing this very question, but I'll go ahead and add my input here:

I'm a big dude, and wanted some cranks that were stiff as hell for my first fixed gear bike. I bought into the hype and picked up a set of sugino 75's with a matching bb, and honestly I have zero complaints. I can't offer a comparison between them and others since they're my first experience with a track crank set, but I can say that I am not at all disappointed in them after who knows how many thousands of commuting miles I've put on them.

I'm planning on taking the 75s off my conversion, polishing them, and moving them to my angus frame. I've got a set of soma hellyer cranks I'm going to put in their place on the conversion. The hellyers look fucking hot too, and are much less expensive.... I can't rate their performance yet though, since I haven't ridden them.

If you've got the money, buy jam guy's 75's. If you don't buy them, then tell me how much you're selling them for jam guy, and I might take them off your hands as a gift to a friend if the price is right.
    SRAM Omnium. I actually replaced my Sugino 75s w/ Phil Wood BB with the Omnium and can honestly say I like they just as much, if not more, because they are alot lighter. Not to mention, they were SUPER easy to install myself, and I got mine for around $140 w/ bottom bracket AND chainring!
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I haven't seen these in person yet (no bike shops around here stock them). Do you think the logo would sand off easy? I've got the polishing bug, so I'd probably want to polish and buff the hell out of a set before using them.
    Yes, the logo is already starting to wear just from riding.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Sweet. I'll probably pick up a set then, just because they're so damn affordable and get great reviews. I know it's dumb, but ever since I set up a little work area for polishing in my garage, I've been polishing everything I possibly can. I'm sure I'll burn out eventually, but I'll have fun blinding on lookers on sunny days as I zip by in the meantime.
    Posted By: sfbeeSweet. I'll probably pick up a set then, just because they're so damn affordable and get great reviews. I know it's dumb, but ever since I set up a little work area for polishing in my garage, I've been polishing everything I possibly can. I'm sure I'll burn out eventually, but I'll have fun blinding on lookers on sunny days as I zip by in the meantime.

You'll be happy with the cranks.
    My only complaints are that they would be too easy to steal if someone wanted too, as it only takes an 8mm hex wrench and about 20 seconds to be long gone with both crank arms and the omnium chain ring only comes in 48th.

But in the performance/cost dept. nothing can beat them. I love mine dearly.
    Posted By: proudxvxyouth
    Posted By: sfbeeSweet. I'll probably pick up a set then, just because they're so damn affordable and get great reviews. I know it's dumb, but ever since I set up a little work area for polishing in my garage, I've been polishing everything I possibly can. I'm sure I'll burn out eventually, but I'll have fun blinding on lookers on sunny days as I zip by in the meantime.

You'll be happy with the cranks.
    My only complaints are that they would be too easy to steal if someone wanted too, as it only takes an 8mm hex wrench and about 20 seconds to be long gone with both crank arms and the omnium chain ring only comes in 48th.

But in the performance/cost dept. nothing can beat them. I love mine dearly.

Yeah, they are SUPER easy to take off with only one turn of a bolt, and someone has your whole cranks, pedals, etc.

The Omnium chainring is quite good quality, but the cranks are normal 144 so you can use tons of other rings. I use a Sugino 75 ring on them. Personally, I did not like the gray color with the silver crank arms. I much prefer them matching, silver/silver.

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.