velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

According to an April article in the New York Times "A new study of New York City bicycling accidents over a decade found that one in five cyclists who died had alcohol in the body." Im not sure if this actually means the cyclist were to blame as NYC drivers arent exactly the safest ranking the worst in the country actually. My main question is being I drink and ride most weekends has anyone ever personally seen someone or gotten a ticket for drunk bicycling?
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited

I've never heard of/or seen anyone ticketed for this, but I don't think it's a bad idea to keep heavily intoxicated folks off the road, whether it be on bicycle, motorcycle, or in a car. I'm not saying I've never done either, but riding drunk is just about as stupid as driving drunk. It will still impair your judgment, and put both yourself and the cars/cyclists around you at risk.

Drink in moderation, walk, or take a cab!
    They didn't know that 1 in 5 cyclists has had something to drink in the last hour? I could've told them that even without the crash data
    i have have seen police give warnings to drunk cyclists but never a ticket.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

My best friend's 25-year old daughter got a ticket for BWI (biking while intoxicated) in Oakland, CA six months ago.

It's a real thing, kids. As bikes become more prominent, the fact that the motor vehicle code of almost every jurisdiction in the US applies equally to bicycles and their riders is going to mean more enforcement of the rules that are already on the books.

If California starts handing the statutory $285 ticket to the dipshits (half skinnypants hipsters, half cornerboy thugz) riding down the Bay Area streets with cellphones plastered to their idiot faces, I will be a happy man. When my phone rings, I pull over, like a civilized person.
    Posted By: eaglerockIt's a real thing, kids. As bikes become more prominent, the fact that the motor vehicle code of almost every jurisdiction in the US applies equally to bicycles and their riders is going to mean more enforcement of the rules that are already on the books.

Anyone who drinks or uses and/then rides is a moron, period!
    It’s no different than if you did it in a car or on a motorcycle. Sure, you can ride down the sidewalk, bike path or through the park on your bike, & you’ll likely get away with it. My point is that a bicycle is a vehicle, and if you get caught, they should charge you with operating a vehicle while under the influence, just as if you had a motor!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I drink a 12 pack a year maximum. I have drank a beer or two and then driven. I had to just give up and start walking. The .08 limit in california exceeds my ability to drink and drive... easily. I wouldnt drink and ride because I would hurt myself.

I have been known to partake in smokeable intoxicants and then ride my bike though. In those situations I'm just cruising. My reaction time is slowed but its still twice as fast as grandpa on his way to country kitchen buffet. I feel that I still meet the standards deemed reasonable by the DMV.

I dont agree that drinking and riding is as serious as drinking and driving. Its hard to kill a bunch of kids on the sidewalk when you are on a bike.
    Posted By: wes m.Its hard to kill a bunch of kids on the sidewalk when you are on a bike.

WORD
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: wes m.
    I dont agree that drinking and riding is as serious as drinking and driving. Its hard to kill a bunch of kids on the sidewalk when you are on a bike.

How often do you ride on the sidewalks though, especially in areas densely populated with bars? Folks driving cars already exhibit very little respect for cyclists on the road, and in most cases exhibit even less regard for cyclists on the sidewalk. Do you think you'll be able to effectively dodge the car darting across traffic and into the parking lot/drive way you're approaching when your depth perception and judgment is out of whack? Pretty much every wreck I've been in on a bike has been from riding on the sidewalk, with cars who roll intersections, or race out of parking garages. That shit is hard enough to deal with when I'm sober.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

We are having a miscommunication. I'm not suggesting riding on the sidewalk, I'm commenting on the relative ability of a bicycle to jump a curb and kill a pedestrian in comparison to a car. Riding on the sidewalk is definitely sketchy.
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

i think drunk biking has a closer relationship to drunk walking than it does drunk driving as a comparison of endangerment. I've heard of BWI's (or BUI's) given out in my city and i think it's BS. i thought my opinion would be a landslide considering generally people understand the effects and statistics of drunk driving and have often been personally effected. whether on sidewalk or not, bicyclists are killing and threatening no one like cars are. this is not a blanket of approval for all drunk cyclist. if one is acting a public threat or disturbance then certainly tickets can be rightfully issued by the means of public drunkenness, etc.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

My perspective isn't based as much on the amount of damage the cyclist itself could do to a person or object, but rather the chain reaction that could occur as a result (e.g. cars swerving to avoid said cyclist, hitting other cars/objects in the process).

It's definitely not on the same level as drunk driving in risk to others, but is still on the same level of stupidity in my book.
    Posted By: sfbeeMy perspective isn't based as much on the amount of damage the cyclist itself could do to a person or object, but rather the chain reaction that could occur as a result (e.g. cars swerving to avoid said cyclist, hitting other cars/objects in the process).

It's definitely not on the same level as drunk driving in risk to others, but is still on the same level of stupidity in my book.

My point exactly!

Ride your bike to the corner liquor/dealer, make your purchase & ride to where you’re going to use it. Keep your drunk/stoned ass off ANY vehicle till it wears off. If you don’t, I personally hope you get caught & penalized to the full extent of the law.

PS: I do my drinking at home...
    • CommentAuthorjakerock
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009

Im totally into enforcing some kind of DWB!!!
    Bikes are the most hazardous thing on the road here in NYC...
    I'd be even more into people getting tickets for not wearing helmets, not having lights at night and using a phone drinking an iced coffee while riding. How about a ticket for stopping in the middle of a bike lane to take a call or scratch yr. a'ss? All should be punishable.
    yall are weenerz..

Ride Fast. Ride Hard. Ride drunk as hell whenever and wherever you want.

and if a cop tells me different... ill just ride faster.

anybody whose part of a bike forum and is "into" bikers getting tickets, is a TURD>.
    • CommentAuthorsimonweiss

Dork^
    oh man you got me good with your harsh name calling.
    jakerock is a suv driving bicyclist hater
    Posted By: micahellwangeryall are weenerz... Ride Fast. Ride Hard. Ride drunk as hell whenever and wherever you want.

Natural selection & maturity have ways of sorting people like this out.
    I like to think if it as Mother Natures way of adding chlorine to the gene pool. Just don’t take anyone else down with you when you go. Perhaps a nice tree on some steep single track far back in the hills...
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

The problem with a lot of this stuff is that whether you are running red lights, blowing stopsigns, riding drunk, it does more than just affect you, the one. It affects us all. The way we are percieved by the motoring public, the LEOs and others that we cycle with reflects directly on our whole cycling community. If you are older then you have younger kids looking up to you as an example of what to do or not to do and if you're younger then those older than you will be looking to you to verify all the bad things the younger generation is bringing to the world. Much of this is about personal responsibility on and off the bike. The law states that over a certain blood alcohol level you shouldn't be driving. Yeah, a car does more damage (law of gross tonnage), but the way you ride (good or bad) depends upon your ability to react in time to keep yourself and others from being hurt. If you are walking and fall down, it's not likely to cause anyone else a problem and even if you hit your head, you most likely won't be dying. Running while drunk is another thing. And if the LEOs write tickets for what you do on your bike it's not likely that it's because they are just profiling you, it's more likely that you are in the wrong. They've ticketed me enough and in every case I was in the wrong. Think of the times you DIDN'T get caught and should have.

Don't make the responsible riders bear the burden of your bad judgement.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.