velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

which of the two do you guys think are better?

thanks
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009

For commuting and city riding I like risers
    Both have their uses but I would keep in mind that most bullhorns actually put your hands out a bit further than where they would be on the hoods if you have drops. The longer reach usually means a switch to a shorter stem if you want to ride bullhorns.

For commuting in the city I fully back the Cinelli Valencia bar. Most comfortable ever.
    on a fixed gear, drops are the most versatile
    I've used dropdowns, risers, and straight bars. For commuting I like risers the best with a slight rise and straight bars. But what is most comfortable is going to be the best.
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

i like nitto rb021's they're bullhorns with a slight drop offering several hand positions. if i wasn't on a pursuit style frame everyday i'd probably go with track drops though.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

track drops on the street are worthless.
    road drops with ergo brake hoods (gasp) are the most comfortable (to me). or you can run tandem dummy levers.
    bullhorns are great when you combine it with the right length stem.
    i switch between the drops with hoods and the nitto rb-021s pretty regularly. but i also have two different stems for them.
    and climbing on bullhorns that are set up right mimics climbing on hoods.
    Posted By: the rabbitrack drops on the street are worthless.
    road drops with ergo brake hoods (gasp) are the most comfortable (to me). or you can run tandem dummy levers.
    bullhorns are great when you combine it with the right length stem.
    i switch between the drops with hoods and the nitto rb-021s pretty regularly. but i also have two different stems for them.
    and climbing on bullhorns that are set up right mimics climbing on hoods.

My Major Taylors are way more comfrotable then the bullhorns i rode before this, and the flats and risers that have been on my friend's bikes. With drops, you can ride the flats or the drops depending what you are doing, and for me this is much better then the single positions you get from flats or risers
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

i'm sorry, but major taylors are the most useless bars ever.
    they have what? two hand positions? at the stem and on the drops.

and if bars aren't adjusted properly with the right length stem, they're gonna be uncomfortable no matter what.
    I switch around all the time, I currently have riser bars with 2 brakes, but the most comfortable bars, by far, in my opinion, are the syntace bullhorn with the medium drop. That slight drop and backsweep just does it for me. I'll use the ends if I'm climbing for a while. Otherwise I just keep my hands on the part a couple inches from the stem.

The only downside, is I hate brake levers on bullhorns or drops. They get in the way of hand posistions, which is why I stick to risers if I'm gonna use brakes.

I can't stand flat bars, the angle kills my wrist. A lot of newer risers are the same way. I like older steel risers, they had that nice backsweep to them.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited

Oh this is reminiscent of the argument I heard a couple weeks back between major taylors and nitto randonneurs.

The discontinued syntace TT drop bullhorns are the best.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

I only like drops when brake hoods are involved.
    road bars with hoods are the most versatile bars you can get.

You have the drops, tops, hoods and then the curve.

Good horns are okay, but they only really shine when you throw a set of aerobars on them. For city riding they're good.

Track drops suck pretty much everywhere other than the track, unless you enjoy just sitting on the stem all day long.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: upthemaidenThe only downside, is I hate brake levers on bullhorns or drops. They get in the way of hand posistions, which is why I stick to risers if I'm gonna use brakes.
    i can see it with a cross lever on the flats getting in the way, but what about a tt lever on bulhorns and real road brake levers on drops? on the drops, it would add more positions.
    • CommentAuthorcloud

i have a cane creek 200tt lever at the end of my rb021 with the cable inside the wrap obviously. i added a break the day of a big alleycat around my area (didn't allow breaks last year and i thought i'd take advantage this year). it was a flat break and although it saved me atleast one time during the race, the cable was super annoying. i decided to keep the caliper on my bike to save my legs but the TT brake lever is awesome. i do hilly group rides every week and the decents are way unsafe without brakes, i can't believe i held out this long. this way when i'm dropped doing downhill at 41mph i have the lever where i need it if i need it.
    You're not doing 41 miles per hour on 46 x 16 unless your can spin 180+ RPM for a sustained period of time.
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009 edited

how many descents do you know last for a sustained period of time?
    I have tried bullhorns , flats and risers. At the moment I am using Nitto moustache bars with a TT lever. Takes a bit of getting used to, but after a couple of days they become very comfy. Bit more aggressive than flats but not as low down as drops. The only concern is the width (50cm), but that also translates into heaps of leverage. I'm afraid I am not very original....got the idea off MASH and Lance.
    Posted By: the rabbii'm sorry, but major taylors are the most useless bars ever.
    they have what? two hand positions? at the stem and on the drops.

and if bars aren't adjusted properly with the right length stem, they're gonna be uncomfortable no matter what.

i can have at least 5 positions and can sprint and climb way faster then i could with my bullhorns
    • CommentAuthorAlM
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

Drops are the most versitile bars ever, I don't see why you'd ride anything other.

Deda pista FTW. I could not manage on anything other.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.