velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjayohachen
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009 edited

I am looking to buy one of those 60's/70's style wool jerseys. I usually wear a plain t/dri-fit type shirt when I ride to work/leisure. I am taking longer and longer rides and am thinking about getting one of those old style jerseys (for the track as well!). I really like the look of the Brooks L'eroica jersey for it's clean style (I really don't like the price though). The problem is that I get hot easy and sweat like a roasting pig.

Anyone have experience with wool jerseys?
    It's been a LONG time. Ues a HALO swetband!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009 edited

Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.

Up north here, we get months of fog, which alternate both in time and space with blazing sun. Wool deals with both: It keeps you warmer when it's cold (and damp), and breathes better when it's hot.

I have a lot of trouble with most synthetic jerseys. I sweat battery acid; when that sweat gets between my skin and a plastic jersey, it feels like I've been smeared with petroleum jelly. Ick. Wool can absorb a lot of moisture before it feels wet, and it breathes a lot of the moisture away. It's more reek-resistant than synthetics, so you don't have to wash it after every sweaty session. Just airing it out will keep it usable for awhile.

I'm also not crazy about the aggressive NASCAR-style branding on most bike jerseys. Since most wool jerseys are aimed at retro fogeys like me, they tend to keep the logos down (or at least restrict them to long-defunct sponsors, for hipster cred). I prefer a logo-free look. Most of the no-logo jerseys aren't jerseys so much as underlayers; no pockets and usually no zippers. I have several different underlayers from Icebreaker and SmartWool (both for jerseys and the essential wool socks). I am still suffering an anxiety attack over the loss of a long-sleeve blue ZOIC jersey that snuck out of my bag on a ride in April (ZOIC doesn't have any wool stuff listed now, but I'm guessing that's a seasonal thing). Nike also has a number of all-merino items.

I always keep an eye out for wool swag at swaps and yard sales. I recently found a pair of black wool tights(!) at the Trips for Kids sale, along with an old-school pair of SIDI touring shoes. Kitted out in all black, with a Sheila Moon wool-blend thick jersey, on a late-80s Bianchi...well, let's say I look badass.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009

I really, really love wool jerseys. When I learned to "ride" in Spain, I was the only American on a Spanish team. The jerseys were wool, both for summer and winter. Wool naturally wicks like the new techno fabric and is also the reason you wear wool socks. I think I saw some at the yellowjersey online or if you know anyone from Europe (there's a few guys I've met on here) they could probably find you one for a decent price. Keep in mind that GOOD wool doesn't itch, it's the cheap wool that does and you DON'T want it.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.