velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthoratanz
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009 edited

I just got a new 27.2mm diameter Miche supertype seatpost for my fixed gear, its nice and black. I had a hard time removing the original, but its definitely a 27.2 as well. It almost seems like the seat tube is somehow out of round causing the seatpost not to fit. How can I fix this? Or would it have been possible for someone before me to jamb a 27.2 seatpost into a 27 frame and mess it up?
    It’s possible if someone tried hard enough. I’d take it to your LBS and have them figure it out.
    take it to your LBS - they can "ream" the frame out so that it's a perfect 27.2mm (if they have the tool)
    maybe the seattube got knocked in the past - don't try and squeeze in the post - it'll scratch it up.
    27.2mm is pretty standard for tube size - 27.0 less so.
    cheers
    J
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009

If nothing else, your LBS will probably have a tool used to measure the seatpost diameter. It's a round rod with a slight taper; it has measurements at various diameters from 25mm on up, and they slide it into the seat tube until it stops. Whichever mark it stops at, that's the seatpost size.

27.2 is definitely the most common size now, but there were a lot of oddball sizes back in the day. If it was hard to remove the old 27.2mm seatpost, that post may also have been too big. Who manufactured your frame, and what's the time period? Is it steel or aluminum? If it's steel, is there a decal that tells you what kind?

You might check Sheldon Brown's seatpost database to see if your frame manufacturer is listed. It may give you some clues.
    • CommentAuthoratanz
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009

Hey thanks guys. Its a 1987 Pinarello made with Columbus Matrix tubing, steel of course. I'll have to take it in to my LBS - I've seen that tool they use to determine the diameter - that should sort things out.

cheers!

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.