velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014 edited

So since my bag/everything that I hold dear (minus bikes of course) was stolen, I've been doing more stuff with bikes to try to take my mind off of it.

I since have gotten my hands on a Trek 736. It was mostly original minus some key parts (handlebar, stem, brake levers, chainring, headset locknut and wheelset).

The wheelset is a Specialized hub with sealed bearings laced to a Mavic Open 4CD rim (found out they are sealed after finding that the axle was broken when I tried to repack the hub, luckily this was resolved with little to no issue). The large chainring is a Galli, kind of random :S the headset locknut is an Omas. The stem and bars are some crummy who knows what, and the same goes with the levers. The saddle also wasn't original, but I couldnt see myself finding the original comfortable either.

I thought I took a before picture, but I guess I didnt. Luckily the seller didnt take down the ad yet, so I have his pictures (he's an avid collector with some really, really sweet things that he would never part with, just show me some pictures).

So overall, the frame is in good shape. Small dent in top tube, bit of scratches here and there but pretty much all intact. Since these pics, I did a bit of work today and replaced the tires (pretty much so hard they stood on their own) and the rear shift cable. The brake levers and bar/stem aren't going to be kept, so I haven't replaced the messed up brake housing yet.

UPDATE 01.06
    I kind of said f*** it and just put on what I had and rode. The entire drive train minus the downtube barrel adjusters, freewheel, and large chainring are suntour. Here's how it progressed as i skipped many steps :P

AND THE FINAL PRODUCT! :D

QUESTION TIME:
    I would like to restore it to original as possible, but some of the components wouldn't be ideal (like the stem) for my comfort. I know it'd be best not to sacrifice comfort for originality.

But for things like brake levers, would you keep them original? or as I know it will be ridden and I'm worried about the hoods not being able to be replaced in event of them getting worn out or crashed and damaged, I was thinking of getting these:
    http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/brakes/levers/gran-compe-202-non-aero-brake-levers-drilled.html

and I guess related to this, in the extremely rare opportunity that I get to ride in L'eroica race, would you think they would accept this bike?
    I'd find some OE levers before I bought those dia-compes. Rims are Open 4CD by the way.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014

Posted By: vqstaphbeardI'd find some OE levers before I bought those dia-compes. Rims are Open 4CD by the way.

Yeah, my bad, the Spicer is getting the Open Pro CD's lol

yeahhh I'd like original too, but am worried about hoods :P
    Use hoods now, worry later? Or get aftermarket hoods, i.e. cane creek, and put on now and save hoods? Try to find oe hood surplus?
    Its a very nice bike, and original parts should not be to hard to source. Reynolds 531 pipes, and Suntour Superbe (not Superbe Pro)exception being Campy hubs to Rigida hoops, with a Cinelli cockpit, SR post, Avocet was the spec'd saddle with a Levin headset according to the '82 catalog. These were made in 78.5/79 then 82 and done.
    I believe the event most people refer to as L'Eroica mandates a pre 1980 ride, and has to be prejudged through photos in the application packet to participate. But with 99% of my collection being post 1980, I've never looked into it in this amount of detail!
    Is this the same bike you posted in BOCL?
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014

yup! this is the same bike! thanks for the extra details on the parts! :) I picked up some Cinelli 64 bars last night, just not sure if I can use the original Cinelli 1a stem, I need a bit more of a rise, so I was looking to get a Nitto Technomic. I have an Avocet saddle from some other bike, but it was extremely uncomfortable. The rest of the headset looks original, just the locknut is an Omas.

Of course, if any of you guys have some spare parts that could help this build, let me know ! :)

I did find this after you mentioned that:

it was one of their higher end offerings that model year, one of the only better options was the custom order frame only then you build it.
    Nice, so it is YOU who bought this stunning Trek AND that red nashbar as well ?

For the event in Italy take a dark italian 'vintage' saddle into consideration, at least 25mm tires, plastic foot retention and black bar tape and -why not?- consider to use the nashbar for the 'strade bianche'. Unfortunately, the 'Azzuri' do not seem to fancy aero levers. Notably, a CX bike might also be a wise decision, but is apparently also haram, quote/: L?Eroica bikes have all the following characteristics:

- Road racing bikes, built before 1987 (not cycle-cross or time trial bikes);
    - Steel frame (the only aluminium frame bikes permitted are ALAN or VITUS with either screwed or glued joints);
    - Gear shift levers on the down tube of the frame (exceptionally, only pre-1980 bar-end gear shifts are allowed);
    - Pedals with toe clips and fitted straps (quick release pedals are not allowed, except Cinelli M71 pedals);
    - Passage of brake cables outside the handlebars (the passage of cables inside the frame is acceptable);
    - Wheels must have at least 32 spokes with a low profile (less than 20 mm). /quote

For the Trek, see if a new set of compatible black hoods is available. Those Brooks saddles - i.e. the bulky ones- tend to look a bit strange on a roadbike, but that is just me. Moreover, non aero levers don't feel comfortable and look even goofy to some of us. I would personally leave the Trek as you aleady have it.
    I wonder how identical those are? Royal gran compe in black are not hard to find and look nice, or a normal alloy color should be simple as well.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2014

Dont know what red nashbar you are referring to, never got that :S

i only want to get the non-aero to be more original, and I've found non-aero levered bikes are less likely stolen (or so it seems, correlation probably, not causality).

Posted By: socal3renshoI wonder how identical those are? Royal gran compe in black are not hard to find and look nice, or a normal alloy color should be simple as well.

Which two are you comparing?
    the rereleased Gran Compes from the velo orange link and the vintage ones I have on several bikes and in a box, you know the pre rerelease originals lol.
    Posted By: ShakuDont know what red nashbar you are referring to, never got that :S

I believe he's talking about socal's red Nashbar.
    I did pick one up, but I think the seller of the 736 also had a Nashbar for sale.
    My mistake, I was indeed referring to the one that SoCal has apparently snatched at. To avoid confusion, it was this one - Just liked both of these bikes.
    Mine is basically that bike with a flat bar instead of drops.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014

nice! :)
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014

Not many step by step pictures (but they are in the first post), but I'm done for now! :)

https://velospace.org/node/47996

Awesome build!! Best of luck sourcing the other Superbe parts.
    odd, but for seller that know, Superbe brings a bit more than Superbe Pro, almost to the same degree that Dura Ace EX (72XX), in good shape is scarcer than 7400. I personally would prefer DT Superbe levers. cleaner look than bar cons, and then some dark ano'd mavics, or some Trek Matrix Isos.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2014

Posted By: socal3renshoodd, but for seller that know, Superbe brings a bit more than Superbe Pro, almost to the same degree that Dura Ace EX (72XX), in good shape is scarcer than 7400. I personally would prefer DT Superbe levers. cleaner look than bar cons, and then some dark ano'd mavics, or some Trek Matrix Isos.

I do have dark ano'd mavics but the rim was losing the grey and it looked shabby, so i gave it these wheels.

The DT levers were kind of difficult to use when riding around town, maybe i'd consider switching it back when i have a more of an around town bike

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.