velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2014

So I thought I would copy virgil's idea and start a build thread. Today I finally made it around to painting a frame. Super exciting to be putting colors on my frames now. I'm definitely no pro painter and can see myself investing in a real deal gun down the road, but for now it suffices. In addition, I am meeting with a guy who does decals in a couple of weeks so hopefully more on that soon. I will post up pics tomorrow of what I did today.
    If you need an intro to a decal guy PM me.
    Awesome!
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014

My apologies got home late today, will post tomorrow for sure and maybe a start on my next road frame
    • CommentAuthorstayfed
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014

Sounds fun. I have a frame I want to paint as well. Can you share some photos of your set up?
    what type of paint are you using> I only have experience with DuPont Imron over primer, but always like the look of translucent lacquers over silver or chrome base.
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014

I'm using the DuPont Imron over primer as well, I will be putting a clear enamel over the final product. I really want to have some chroming done and paint over it, I've always liked that look.
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8

Okay, so here is a couple of shots of my soon to be wife lug lining her frame before the clear coat goes on

• CommentAuthorHaegan

did you do the paint yourself? looks pretty nice! when i build my first frame (which should be soon) i'm planning on just clearcoating it. can you share what youre using to clear it and how you did it.
    Awesome! I like the color.
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014

Yes I did the paint and will hopefully soon get some photos up of my set-up. I bought a hvlp spray gun at home depot and own a 20 gallon air compressor that's pretty much what you need in hardware, minus protective gear. The paint was from a local auto paint store as well as the clear coat. This frame has not been clear coated yet, so hopefully when that is done it will look even nicer, but I do appreciate the kind words. My paint booth set-up is just a small shed that I used sheets to cover the walls, and I strung up a rope to the ceiling to hang the frames with a seat post. As far as a process I just read a lot of articles online and asked the guy at the paint store for advice. I used a can of primer to prepare the frame (the cans save you from an extra step of cleaning out the gun and if you mess up and run the primer its meant to be wet sanded anyway). I then did two separate coats of the color with the gun, because its a bicycle frame you have a lot of over-spray, so extra paint is good to have. I had to toggle with the gun for a bit to get the proper atomization of the paint, which the instruction manuals give great advice on how to do that. Like I said I haven't done the clear yet, I hear that that's a little trickier than the paint itself because of its viscosity, but I will let you know after I get there. Oh, and I too will be clear coating some raw frames, however, it isn't as rust resistant as a primer, color, and clear. Over time you will see rust develop, but that adds some character and usually won't amount to failures, many of my frames have been around for a while now with not protection other than a dose of olive oil every so often.
    learning by doing!
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014

Thanks socal, trail and error has always taught me best to learn from my mistakes
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014

Here's some updates on the road frame, and I did a little work on the track frame. Both just need completed rear triangles and then paint.

• CommentAuthor8Aaron8

and the track frame
    Looking good, the shorelines look nice. I like the roadie lugs.
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8

Thank you, I have finally achieved the perfect flame and heat control to flow the silver in from one spot, so clean up is a breeze. I'm thinking I'g going to keep the track frame now, I have a c-record pista group I want to use
    Posted By: vqstaphbeardLooking good, the shorelines look nice. I like the roadie lugs.
    those webbed lugs are great!
    Posted By: 8Aaron8I have a c-record pista group I want to use

High or low flange hubs?
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014 edited

I have a set of sheriff star wheels laced to campagnolo anodized rims and a new set of low flange record hubs to mavic open cd's. I also have the c-record cranks from 86' thanks to socal and a set of unfluted pista cranks from a few years before that, so I am going to have a hard time choosing. I'm sure when I get there I will ask for some input from all you guys.

Posted By: vqstaphbeard
    Posted By: 8Aaron8I have a c-record pista group I want to use

High or low flange hubs?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.