velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

anxious to see the seat stay finish.
    Keeps looking better and better!
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014

Been awhile since I've updated this, the frames only need a couple of bridges now, then some clean up and paint

Dayum!
    Daddy!
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Woowwwww stunning work!
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8

Thank you all, can't wait to put these together. Any idea's for paint? I was thinking maybe doing a metallic red over plain steel, no primer, on the track frame. I like the look of the steel under the paint, but I'm open to suggestions.
    Maybe a 'Chromovelato' finish ('look of the steel under the paint') ? ...like this one in Red ? Besides, that really is a tight wheelbase for people like me, who love a 'racing geo', but would like to be able to mount 28mm tires -or 23mm ones with fenders. Have I asked already, what you think about -i.e. from a manufacturing and paint/finish point of view- these custom frames ? On 'plain' steel afaik it might work to powdercoat.
    Your second link shows some great work.

I'm curious as to where one accesses the quill bolt on this one. Maybe under the fork crown?

If there isn't a -technically- more elegant solution, my guess would be indeed that you access the quill from underneath, i.e. before you attach the front brake caliper and the front wheel :D
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014

Posted By: felissilvestrisMaybe a 'Chromovelato' finish ('look of the steel under the paint') ? ...like this onein Red? Besides, that really is a tight wheelbase for people like me, who love a 'racing geo', but would like to be able to mount 28mm tires -or 23mm ones with fenders. Have I asked already, what you think about -i.e. from a manufacturing and paint/finish point of view-thesecustom frames ? On 'plain' steel afaik it might work to powdercoat.

Yeah I like the look of chromovelato, however I don't have any access to chroming and don't want to spend the $ on it. The track frame definitely has tight clearances front and rear, it was not intended to clear larger tires or have racks mounted. Though I think I would like to make a SS bike with those additions.

As far as the vogel frames, they look very nice. I love the builders aesthetic, simple clean lines and lug work. Wish I could read German to get some more info on the builder.
    A couple of years ago, I had wild ideas of once getting a custom-built frame. To the best of my knowledge there are only a handful custom builders in Germany, and therefore I got excited when I found out that one of them was in fact -at that time- very close nearby.

BTW, I can read German, so if there is anything that G*gl* cant solve or that you don't want to ask him directly: Don't be shy. Have you seen alpha33alpha's nodes 46947 and 47078 on here (..alpha, can I still hope for better pics) ?
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014

Yes, he has a number of nice vintage frames, and thanks for offering some translating services
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2014

Well no longer will I be using a piece of marble counter top for my alignment. Just ordered an alignment table from Joe Bringheli, I think I may start building jig less
    What is the advantage of jig less?
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2014

I feel with jig less you aren't building in any stress into the frame. I think jigs are great, but probably better suited for production frame building where output is important. This will allow me to build one angle at a time insuring I get everything right.
    Ah makes sense, thanks!
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2014

So summer is here, and being a teacher full time makes that great news for me. Now I can spend more time working on bikes. So the two frames I was working on earlier are done, hoping to apply paint this week, I won't show any progress on those until they are fully painted. This frame is one I'm working on for a friend who traded me a macbook air for, so hoping to get this done before the end of the week to paint as well.

• CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014

My girlfriend is a teacher too, her last say was my birthday.
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014

Well hey, happy belated bday man

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.