velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorAHRMA69
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013 edited

So I decided to get a bike to commute from home to school (14 miles round trip) and from home to work (14 miles plus bus/subway). I wanted something light and simple so I went to sport chalet and got an se lager premium which I hated after only 3 miles specifically because it weighed the same as a road bike with gears and had inferior components. I went on ebay and found a like new 2010 Jamis Sonik in my size (56) with some scratches and a pea sized dent on the side of the bottom tube for $920 shipped to my door. To complete the bike system I got some look keo 2 max pedals $90 off ebay, sidi t2 shoes $128 w/ free cleats, 99 cent store tail light, and costco led flash light as a headlight. I wanted to get some brakes because I couldn't figure out skid stop with my temporary pedals (15x49 gears) but after trying the bike with the clip-less pedals it somehow came naturally and I don't think I will need to get any brakes unless it is a killer deal.

Today I went on my first ride to class and realized that I need some cycling shorts with a pad or a different saddle (seems the San Marco saddle is too narrow?) and some bull horn bars or straight bars as I was finding it hard to ride comfortably with the pista style drop bars with a backpack full of stuff. Because of the seat and the pain I felt getting on the bike after class I decided to take a bus for a couple blocks to rest and catch up on my routine. I kind of flipped out on some guy that was about to throw his bike in between mine and another pricy bike on the bus bike rack since he was already making contact before I even got off the bus and I told him to stop and get out of my way so I could move my bike to make room for other people that were getting on. That experience made me paranoid about putting my bike on a communal rack. Definatly can't bring it on the bus unless I disguise it as a large suitcase?

Anyways, now I need to reevaluate my strategy for getting to the subway, 14 miles from home. I may simply take the wheels off the bike before boarding and assemble the bike when inside since it will be 4 am when I leave home and the busses shouldn't be crowded. I will most likely ride the bike back home from the subway on the way back home. I saw a YouTube video of a portable foldable bike bag that could also work but it seems like overkill and extra junk to carry around.

Let me know what you think, I will continue to post my updates and some pics if you like.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013

It seems really silly to me to take apart your bike just to bring it onto the bus/subway. If you are worried about your bike get a top tube protector or similar frame protection.
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

What Veggie said! or Just do not worry about it...... The bike is gonna get dirty beat up.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

BUT ITS A JAAAAAAAAMIS SONIK MANG. HAVE YOU SEEN THEM SHITS?

• CommentAuthorAHRMA69
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2013

I got some canari gel road cycling shorts model 1040 for $33 after the $10 sport chalet action pass reward and went for a night ride. The shorts helped somewhat but I was told that I would need a hand full of rides for my sitting bones/muscules to adjust. It was much easier on the wrists w/o the back pack! I did a sprint and reached max rpm in the 30's. I feel comfortable with this.

The person in the picture above seems to be riding a frame much smaller than his size. Mine doesn't look like that with me on it.
    • CommentAuthorAHRMA69
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013 edited

Went for a bike ride today. 15.4 miles on the street and bike path round trip. It took me about an hour. The cycling shorts worked wonders for me! I felt like I could do another 20 miles easy. I got a flat tire which was interesting, but I had everything on me to take care of it. I decided to simply patch it and save my fresh tube for a more serious blow out. Any hints on how to avoid flat tires? My 99 cent store tail light failed after going over some bumps, can't say I didn't see that coming. I had two or three backup tail light options with me. When I got home I noticed my eyes where irritated but that quickly when away. Possibly because it is pretty dry here. I also noticed that my lips where getting chapped during the ride. I will now be adding chap stick to my hydration pack.

By the way, here is a break down of my hydration pack and its contents.
    Lock, pump, L allens 3,4,5,6,8mm 19mm open end wrench, lock ring tool, tire repair kit containing 3 levers, patches, scraper, spare tube, presta/shrader adapter, spare cleat hardware, lighter (most likely will be used as a bottle opener), pencils (should be one pencil one pen), wallet, petty cash and loose change, phone, back up tail lights (should also have batteries for headlight), water bottle (I don't like the reservoir maintenance), chap stick, and a fork leg drop out plastic protector thing.

• CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013

Looking at all your stuff, I feel like a TSA agent.

My opinion is to get rid of the allen wrenches, the cleat bolts, lock ring tool, and the plastic dropout protector(unless you use it to lock up your rearwheel to the frame at a bike rack).
    Get some cycle specific lights for the bike that are easy to put on and take off. You don't have to spend a ton, mine were $20 for the tail light, and 35$ for the front.

Posted By: veggie
    It seems really silly to me to take apart your bike just to bring it onto the bus/subway

like veggie said, it's silly to do that, and chances are that you'll damage the bike's paint if you remove the wheelset everyday- with either the tool slipping or the chain hitting the chain stays or bottom bracket, it's a mess.
    How far is the total commute including the buses and trains?

My other advice is that you should get a bike that is more suited for commuting. It doesn't have to be a walmart hybrid, but you'll find that there is a reason people sacrifice looks for comfort and practicality. Bike commuting is awesome and weirdly rewarding, and you're on the right track by asking for advice.
    • CommentAuthorAHRMA69
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013

Update on my commute distance from the subway: I noticed another stop that places me 0.8 miles from work!

My commute from home (Northridge, CA) to work (Downtown LA) is 24 miles.

I can't imagine why I should lose the allens, I haven't finished my torquing of the cog (using my legs) and lock ring so I have been tightening the lock ring from time to time if I notice any slipping, (don't have a chain whip yet), so going to keep that tool as well. I will be using the fork plastic for locking up my front wheel with my rear wheel/frame. As for the lights I am trying to make the 99 cent store rear light work. I think if the batteries are super glued in place, the light will stay on when going over bumps. I will have some backups so not a big deal.

I agree with getting a beater for commuting. Maybe a razor scooter? Just kidding. I cant think of what to get as an alternative. Too many options. Maybe the walmart mongoose hex ss 29r. I will keep looking on craigslist and ebay to see if a better bike/deal pops up.
    • CommentAuthorAHRMA69
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013

• CommentAuthorMancha150

Fancy pants. I really like these frames. not a big fan of the wheels, but in terms in thick alloy tubing, this is what I would get if I ever got serious in track and wanted to splurge.

As for commuting on this bike, as you said you might want to get a beater, but we are all kind of biased here because most of us have a least two bikes. But then again, people commute on track specific track bikes all the time, so if you are comfortable with it, it doesnt really make sense to spend money on another one. I wouldnt get walmart/target/etc bikes. Everything on those things fails very quickly if you use the bike more than once a week.

Also a little lost on the tools discussion, but why dont you just get a small multitool instead of carrying the large allen keys?
    ROTAFIX THAT COG!
    • CommentAuthorAHRMA69

I hate the bulk of multi tools. The Allen keys are slimmer and much more comfortable for me to apply the torque needed for the rear wheel bolts.

Posted By: stevenwilliamsenROTAFIX THAT COG!

Rotafixawah?
    • CommentAuthorAHRMA69

Oh, rOtafix, I did that but still was able to out torque it with legs
    Your legs could put out more torque than rotafix could? I have never had to tighten a cog after I have rotafixed it on.
    You appear to be going about to this commuting thing backwards. You have this backpack full of crap, just the base load, on a track bicycle, only the drop position wrapped, with a fairly long commute. Buy a beater. Convert it, no one cares. It's your beater. Non-Racey 700c designed bicycles usually have decent sized clearances. Big tires means cushion', pot hole destroyin', curb stompin' and panty droppin'. Get yourself something other than yourself to haul your gear. Talkin' about panniers, racks, baskets, bags, sacks, anything. You'll enjoy yourself a lot more! The Jamis is a pretty sweet bicycle. Commuting is only going to beat it up and greatly increase its chances of getting stolen. Save it for Sunday/Funday rides and fair weather non-commuting joy riding.
    • CommentAuthorstayfed
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013

Is this a real story?

Posted By: AHRMA69So I decided to get a bike to commute from home to school (14 miles round trip) and from home to work (14 miles plus bus/subway). I wanted something light and simple so I went to sport chalet and got an se lager premium which I hated after only 3 miles specifically because it weighed the same as a road bike with gears and had inferior components. I went on ebay and found a like new 2010 Jamis Sonik in my size (56) with some scratches and a pea sized dent on the side of the bottom tube for $920 shipped to my door. To complete the bike system I got some look keo 2 max pedals $90 off ebay, sidi t2 shoes $128 w/ free cleats, 99 cent store tail light, and costco led flash light as a headlight. I wanted to get some brakes because I couldn't figure out skid stop with my temporary pedals (15x49 gears) but after trying the bike with the clip-less pedals it somehow came naturally and I don't think I will need to get any brakes unless it is a killer deal.

Today I went on my first ride to class and realized that I need some cycling shorts with a pad or a different saddle (seems the San Marco saddle is too narrow?) and some bull horn bars or straight bars as I was finding it hard to ride comfortably with the pista style drop bars with a backpack full of stuff. Because of the seat and the pain I felt getting on the bike after class I decided to take a bus for a couple blocks to rest and catch up on my routine. I kind of flipped out on some guy that was about to throw his bike in between mine and another pricy bike on the bus bike rack since he was already making contact before I even got off the bus and I told him to stop and get out of my way so I could move my bike to make room for other people that were getting on. That experience made me paranoid about putting my bike on a communal rack. Definatly can't bring it on the bus unless I disguise it as a large suitcase?

Anyways, now I need to reevaluate my strategy for getting to the subway, 14 miles from home. I may simply take the wheels off the bike before boarding and assemble the bike when inside since it will be 4 am when I leave home and the busses shouldn't be crowded. I will most likely ride the bike back home from the subway on the way back home. I saw a YouTube video of a portable foldable bike bag that could also work but it seems like overkill and extra junk to carry around.

Let me know what you think, I will continue to post my updates and some pics if you like.
    • CommentAuthorAHRMA69
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2013

Thank you velospace community for your tips and advise, I do rely on outside help for advise since my curcle of friends isnt very bicycle savy. "Story" is real, I posted my bike locked up at my school. I have found a couple purefix bikes in the $150-$175 range and might get one. One of them was a 52 and I feel most comfortable on a 54-56. Is the 52 too small? It is $150 and comes with lights, foot straps, drop bars, bottle cage, etc. I also ordered some bull horns for commuting. Let me know what you think!
    • CommentAuthorNiflhel
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2013 edited

Posted By: Albert KernbergYou appear to be going about to this commuting thing backwards. You have this backpack full of crap, just the base load, on a track bicycle, only the drop position wrapped, with a fairly long commute. Buy a beater. Convert it, no one cares. It's your beater. Non-Racey 700c designed bicycles usually have decent sized clearances. Big tires means cushion', pot hole destroyin', curb stompin' and panty droppin'. Get yourself something other than yourself to haul your gear. Talkin' about panniers, racks, baskets, bags, sacks, anything. You'll enjoy yourself a lot more! The Jamis is a pretty sweet bicycle. Commuting is only going to beat it up and greatly increase its chances of getting stolen. Save it for Sunday/Funday rides and fair weather non-commuting joy riding.

This is sound advice and I would add considering a bike with gears or possibly even single speed. Riding fixed day after day can be hard on the body. (in a bad way) It's just a personal preference but I love my All City Nature Boy for commuting.

• CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2013 edited

Man Niflhel I love how you have that set up. I want to do something similar with my big block once I move back to the states. My plan is to have a separate set-up with more relaxed bars and possibly a front rack. What kind of freewheel do you have? Also, how do you keep the frame protected without the paint?

AHRMA: pay heed to what people are saying here. Commuting on a fixed gear bike that many daily miles with drop bars is really going to take a toll on you. I messed up my knees really bad riding fixed daily. If you dont like gears, get something at least with brakes so you can run single speed. I dont know anything about purefix, but you can get a single speed/fixed bike from bikesdirect for 300-400 that will do the job very well. The phantom cross uno (which allows for fatter tires) is said to be a great deal

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/uno.htm

And you can sometimes find these used on ebay for less.
    • CommentAuthorstayfed
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2013

That Raw set up is sick! I spy a White Ind Freewheel. Love mine.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.