velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorrnitch
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013 edited

[img]http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/545/photocoo.jpg[/img]

Hey guys, just starting up a build of a 2009 black/red fuji track pro 56cm 2nd revision. (rev2 have double crimp to clear cranks + chainring above 44t)

I have a white painted carbon Orbea orca fork. Looks out of place but it will be covered in black or carbon fiber vinyl. (the 3M vinyl wrap stuff used on cars)

other ordered parts are:
    - Tioga spyder twin tail seat in the dark red color
    - Profile Design Black Dual Bike Cage Rail Bottle Mount
    - 88mm carbon 12k weave rims
    - black fsa energy brakes (yes sorry im adding brakes)
    - bought both a 15t rear freewheel and fixed sprocket and see which i prefer.

OK so here is where i need your help!
    1. im leaning toward a 49t fsa carbon pro crankset, although i may ber an omnium crank in 48t (black color) any input?
    2. My fork either has a rake of 43mm or 40mm (not sure) compared to an original fuji rake of 30mm. anybody know how bad of an effect this will have. will is end up looking strange or steering incorrectly? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

-Mitch
    • CommentAuthorrnitch
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013

also this will be ridden on the road. any suggestions for a great set of road tires and tubes?
    *using clinchers
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013 edited

Omniums are nicer. 49x15 or 48x15 is a really big gear for street. I'd recommend a 47x17 or maybe a 48x17.
    Sounds like a neat build. As far as the fork goes it will greatly increase the trail of the bike leading to a less responsive/more stable feel.

Edit tires and tubes I'd look at conti gp4000s if you don't skid
    • CommentAuthorrnitch
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013

thanks man. im mainly using it on two specific sections of road that are about 5 and 7 miles for sunday rides. the 5 miler has one hill and the 7 miler is nearly completely flat. So as far as the gearing goes, im going to be enjoying as much topspeed as i can to get my legs really working, without really having to do stop and go. I herniated discs in my back, and bike strength training is the one thing that seems to help the most.

thanks for the tire recommendation too!

-Mitch
    I agree that the omniums are the better choice of crankset. The rake will affect your steering, but it shouldn't be a huge difference. Can't wait to see it built!
    • CommentAuthorrnitch
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013 edited

ok so I have always ridden 170mm cranks so thats a definite. Will these work with the included bottom bracket?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SRAM-OMNIUM-BLACK-170MM-TRACK-BIKE-48t-CRANK-SET-GXP-Bottom-Bracket-/281059376192?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417071bc40

Thanks. -Mitch

also with the longer trail for the bike, when im out of the seat and really pushing it leaning the bike back and forth is it going to wobble really bad? i think the wheel might be set 13mm more forward than normal.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Posted By: rnitchWill these work with the included bottom bracket?

yes the GXP BB is what you need for omniums

Posted By: rnitch
    also with the longer trail for the bike, when im out of the seat and really pushing it leaning the bike back and forth is it going to wobble really bad? i think the wheel might be set 13mm more forward than normal.

it is highly unlikey that you will be able to feel any difference especially given that you have never ridden the frame with the stock fork.
    just to be clear, with more fork offset the bike will actually have less trail. but i agree with haegan that you're not likely to notice anything wrong with the way it handles. a fork with 30 mm of offset is intended to give some trail back to a frame that has a steep head tube angle (which shortens the wheelbase and decreases the turning radius).

• CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013

Sorry that's what I meant. Got it backwards.
    • CommentAuthorrnitch

i actually used to have the exact bike with stock fork that was 30mm. the new fork is 43mm hopefully its not too different.

thanks for the bottom bracket info haegan
    -Mitch

ps wheels should be in tomorrow hopefully. they are in a town 20 mins away but you never know with USPS, could be 3 days or something :o
    • CommentAuthorrnitch
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013

sweet apparently i had to sign for the package. now i have to wait until saturday when i have time to pick it up.
    • CommentAuthorrnitch
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013

so i called the post office and im gonna pick up the rims on saturday morning, or maybe earlier if i can get out of work at some point this week.
    today i wrapped my fork is some CF vinyl, which IMO looks way better. This was the biggest pain in the ass ever. took around 3 hours and i could not get the top perfect but im a perfectionist, so from 5 feet away it looks fine. Gonna clear coat it at some point and give it a slight yellow tint so it looks perfect. Funny how i put fake CF vinyl over a real carbon fiber fork. The alternative of removing the paint is nearly impossible and not worth the effort.

also have some other parts in that ill put up pics of. still waiting on the my seat and the metal stem top for the fork

gonna order the omnium crankset w/ bb soon and get myself some tires and tubes (probaby the conti gp4000s suggested above)
    Cant wait to go get my rims :(
    • CommentAuthorrnitch
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013 edited

it sucks how i used to have an earlier revision of the frame, so when i bought this one i assumed it was the exact same except for the crimp to clear the chainring and cranks. Little did i know, after doing the revision they decided to simply not include a rear brake mount. Now i have to see if i can find the thickness of the tube used as the seat tube crossbar brace and see if it is drillable. :/ ughh gonna be a pain in the ass

-Mitch

one more question guys. i cant decide between drop bars and bullhorn bars. These r my two choice. what do you think?
    they are the cinelli mash bullhorn bars in black, or STRADALLI W-19 drop bars.

• CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013 edited

Drops but not those drops. Get some version of a compact or traditional aluminum bar in 31.8 clamp. Look at 3t, ritchey, deda ect. That way you can have hoods to ride on (I'd recommend SRAM s900s or tektros)

*edit I would not try to drill that frame for a rear brake. It'll be a lot of work and more than likely weaken the frame a good bit as well as ruining resale value. Rear brake with fixed hardly does anything anyways.
    Yep and yep. A front brake is plenty, trust me.
    • CommentAuthorrnitch
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013

As far as the brake goes I had the exact frame except with a hole in it so unless they changed the thickness of the tube, it will be strong enough. And I'm not reselling it. I would have kept my last one forever but someone decided to rear end me on the highway with the bike on the back. Worst day ever. Gonna try without brakes first and see if I can live with just the front. Also ill check out those bars out. Can't remember what bars it used to have. Pista something..?

-Mitch
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Lots of people really like fsa's compacts too
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac

very awesome stuff man! I have the same frame with a Carbon fork off an Orbea Orca. I rode my bike with the original fuji fork, which i believe is 35mm rake, for 6 months and switched to the orbea fork. I can say from experience that you MOST LIKELY won't notice the difference in handling. I didn't notice any difference.

as far as drops vs bullhorns i prefer bullhorns. I had deda elemanti drops before i bought nitto rb 021's. both were nice bars but i just felt the bullhorns were more comfortable. If this is to be used on the daily then of course i would suggest going with a more comfortable set up.

you should be fine with just a front brake. as long as you can control your braking then it should be plenty.
    • CommentAuthorrnitch
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013 edited

Crazy that you have the exact same fork. Any pics of your complete bike? Also I know that different size FTPs came with different fork rakes (either 30 or 35). What size is your frame?
    I think you will be fine with a front brake only. A rear brake on a fixed gear is almost useless.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.